Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
First Camaro - Help Appreciated!

After hearing how glorious the Alpha platform is, I decided to buy a 6th gen SS. I will be coming from a 2016 WRX.

Below is the one I am approved for and possibly picking up tomorrow. Seems like a very good deal, just have some questions before I go get her.

Any known problems with the 2016 SS auto?
Anything I should look for?
Also seems weird that the front driver tire wore so quickly at 8700 miles (the rest have fine tread left).

Any help is appreciated!!!

https://www.toddwenzeldavison.com/Ve...98588693#close
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Beware the A8 shudder. I would never buy a 2016-2018 auto after my experience with my 2016 SS. Test drive it and try very gradual acceleration anywhere between 30-70 MPH. If it shudders even a little bit don't buy it. Hard acceleration won't do it, it needs to be mild acceleration.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Ask them why it isn't CPO with such low mileage. If a front tire is bald compared to the rest, I would suspect a used tire was used as a replacement for a damaged one.

The transmission issues you'll see in the Transmission and Warranty sections on this forum are real. You're just about at the mileage for your first flush to get rid of the debris in the fluid. As the user above said, take a test drive. Stick it in manual mode in sport or track and cruise at 50 and 60 mph. Give it the slightest throttle to accelerate and see if it shakes, then you know you're already getting the problem.

The CPO 100k mile powertrain warranty will be a life saver down the road, if you don't tune the car to get rid of the causes. The causes can be tuned out so the transmission stays healthy.

Only other issues are pretty minor versus other cars and can be taken care of via warranty. Again, you'll want the CPO warranty to give you a bumper to bumper extension, since the original warranty is about to expire.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Beware the A8 shudder. I would never buy a 2016-2018 auto after my experience with my 2016 SS. Test drive it and try very gradual acceleration anywhere between 30-70 MPH. If it shudders even a little bit don't buy it. Hard acceleration won't do it, it needs to be mild acceleration.

Yep, I would not buy another GM A8. I also had the A8 shutter and now fear it may return. If you can drive a stick and enjoy it that would be the way to go.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Yep, I would not buy another GM A8. I also had the A8 shutter and now fear it may return. If you can drive a stick and enjoy it that would be the way to go.
+1 A8 shudder and rear diff groan are things to watch out for. i avoided both of those by going with the 1LE (which has the M6 and eLSD)
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
1ss manual is best bang for your buck

i came from a cobalt ss turbo and no regrets love it!!

or if you can find a used 1le go that route!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
I see you're in Toledo. Just drive across the state and pick this one up.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/...795238731.html
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
RyanR623

Wow thanks for the responses. The dealer said it isn't CPO'd... but would CPO it for 500 dollars, since it costs them money to certify it (looked it up, ....it's true)

As far as the shudder. Is it just a vibration that happens? How bad is it? Does it lead to transmission failure and if so why wouldn't powertrain warranty cover it?

Again thanks for the answers!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Wow thanks for the responses. The dealer said it isn't CPO'd... but would CPO it for 500 dollars, since it costs them money to certify it (looked it up, ....it's true)

As far as the shudder. Is it just a vibration that happens? How bad is it? Does it lead to transmission failure and if so why wouldn't powertrain warranty cover it?

Do a search on A8 shudder on this forum. You’ll learn lots. They’ll replace your torque converter and maybe it will stay away or maybe not. I’d stay away from
an A8 period.

Get a 1SS manual and you’ll potentially have way less headaches and more fun.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
Kinmartin0789

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
They are actively trying a new fix which is a new fluid with a different friction modifier which could fix this issue. As some have mentioned about it, the old fix was just a flush and replace of the exact same fluid. If it returned they replaced the tourque converter. Now the new fix is on it's way to dealers now. I would definitely get them to certify it as it gives you a bit more peace of mind.
Kinmartin0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:

I've been driving my 2017 2SS A8 since September of 2016. At 10000 miles, I did get the shudder. Did the 3X flush and that lasted for 20,000 miles before it came back. So they did the torque converter replacement.

Now I'm over 35000 miles with no issues at all. It may come back, but if it does I'll just have it fixed again. It's really not that big a deal. I love the car and it drives great as my daily driver. So far I've only had to deal with the issue twice in 2 years. The problem is real, but I think it is really overblown.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
Kinmartin0789

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Red Hot
Quote:

Now I'm over 35000 miles with no issues at all. It may come back, but if it does I'll just have it fixed again. It's really not that big a deal. I love the car and it drives great as my daily driver. So far I've only had to deal with the issue twice in 2 years. The problem is real, but I think it is really overblown.
This guy gets it!
Kinmartin0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #13
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:

I would say if you’re going to leave it stock, avoid the A8. If your going to mod and tune anyways, go with the A8. It’s epic after a tune.
70chevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I've been driving my 2017 2SS A8 since September of 2016. At 10000 miles, I did get the shudder. Did the 3X flush and that lasted for 20,000 miles before it came back. So they did the torque converter replacement.

After reading into this, I feel like it may be overblown as well. Everyone that I have researched love this car, and don't mind having to flush it every 15k miles, which is more than a year of driving for me. And like you said, if it comes back i'll just have them fix it again. I mean in doing research, they used this transmission in the vettes too right? I doubt GM would just let this go.

That being said, I am not picking it up today and still want to do more research into this new fix. We are getting a snowstorm tomorrow and doubt I could get winter tires on it in time anyway.

Again thanks for all the responses !

EDIT: Also, I can drive a stick. My WRX is a stick, but I'm really getting sick of driving one. I'm getting too old and in traffic and city it just gets annoying at times. I really want an automatic. I mean I really want a DSG, but since most cars under 100k don't have them (save the Golf R), I want an auto this time around.