Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
BuyBack case

Hello all,
I made a case with GM to buyback my 2016 camaro ss.
They approved it and told me I can get a replacement or they’ll repurchase my car. I’m leaning towards the repurchase. Has anyone gone this route when they had a situation like mine? I’m trying to figure out how long it takes and what kind of fees I have to pay and stuff like that. Thanks in advance .
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
Hello all,
They approved it and told me I can get a replacement or they’ll repurchase my car. I’m leaning towards the repurchase. Has anyone gone this route when they had a situation like mine? I’m trying to figure out how long it takes and what kind of fees I have to pay and stuff like that. Thanks in advance .
I did a new car swap. What I can say about that is it all depends on the price you paid for your car. Chevy will give you (I think) the same basic deal on another GM car you got for your current Camaro. But there is no negotiation on the price of that car. While you also have to consider tax savings on the deal as your bought back car is considered a trade in, my opinion now is take the cash and go after a 20% or employee pricing on another Camaro if you stay with Chevy. Also you will find not all dealers want a Chevy buyback deal. The dealer may get screwed somehow. In my deal I had to work to make it happen for me and the dealer also did okay.

I started having to pay FULL LIST PRICE on my '16 SS. But I could get $3k off any loaded SS by just calling a dealer with internet pricing. In the end I did get $2,500 off the SS but that was very complicated.

Also you might want to consider a Mustang. Ford has made some big improvements to the latest version where Chevy just went with a very unsuccessful styling makeover, while not really making any worthwhile improvements.

If you want more info PM me..
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Calvear0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I did a new car swap. What I can say about that is it all depends on the price you paid for your car. Chevy will give you (I think) the same basic deal on another GM car you got for your current Camaro. But there is no negotiation on the price of that car. While you also have to consider tax savings on the deal as your bought back car is considered a trade in, my opinion now is take the cash and go after a 20% or employee pricing on another Camaro if you stay with Chevy. Also you will find not all dealers want a Chevy buyback deal. The dealer may get screwed somehow. In my deal I had to work to make it happen for me and the dealer also did okay.

I started having to pay FULL LIST PRICE on my '16 SS. But I could get $3k off any loaded SS by just calling a dealer with internet pricing. In the end I did get $2,500 off the SS but that was very complicated.

Also you might want to consider a Mustang. Ford has made some big improvements to the latest version where Chevy just went with a very unsuccessful styling makeover, while not really making any worthwhile improvements.

Thank you for your input. What exactly do you mean by take the cash? you mean on the repurchase route?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Hello all,
How did you get them to repurchase so easily? I went this route after 3+ repair attempts on my SS for a power steering issue and they refused to budge forcing me to get a lawyer. They ended up settling with me for $10 grand and fixed my SS to my satisfaction but I shouldn't have had to have gone through all this to get them to budge.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Lithias

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue Metallic
Quote:

Just fyi pretty much every manual 2018/19 mustang is having issues right now, it's a matter of when, not if, the 3-4 shift fork breaks, and the part is back orderd with owners waiting 2 months for their cars to be fixed.

Also Ford's tuning of the 10 speed automatic is God awful compared to how its tuned in the 2019 SS.

Not to mention when you compare options to options Ford's prices aren't really better....

On topic:
OP should take the trade in route on a new 2019 imo instead of fishing for a deal.
3000......9/19/18 TPW: 11/26/18
3300......11/9/18 TPW: 11/26/18
3400......11/12/18 TPW: 11/26/18
4300......11/22/18 BUILT! VIN: 1G1FH1R72K0123562
4B00......11/27/18 Waiting for Dispatch! Tentative delivery date of 12/11!
4300......11/28/18 Waiting for the train to Florida!
4200......12/5/18 SHIPPED!
4800......12/14/18
5000/6000......12/18/18 SHE'S HOME BOYS!
Follow me on Instagram! @the_3ngin33r
Lithias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Calvear0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How did you get them to repurchase so easily? I went this route after 3+ repair attempts on my SS for a power steering issue and they refused to budge forcing me to get a lawyer. They ended up settling with me for $10 grand and fixed my SS to my satisfaction but I shouldn't have had to have gone through all this to get them to budge.
Honestly idk, I've read situations where people deal with this for months. I started the case on 11/20/18 and they approved it 12/24/18. I got lucky I guess but then again I took my car to the dealer at least 9 times in the last year and no, I'm not kidding.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Honestly idk, I've read situations where people deal with this for months. I started the case on 11/20/18 and they approved it 12/24/18. I got lucky I guess but then again I took my car to the dealer at least 9 times in the last year and no, I'm not kidding.
Mine has been in the shop for a total of 7 times since I bought it in May for warranty related issues.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
It's a good thing to get a buy back

Quote:
Hello all,
..so congratulations and enjoy. I believe that your next step is to get more information from GM. Specifically how much money would you receive if you sold the car to GM vs how much money (if any) would you spend/ receive back with a trade for a new vehicle and the MSRP of the new/replacement/vehicle.

Armed with this information you can then make an intelligent choice.

Good luck

Jeff
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Thank you for your input. What exactly do you mean by take the cash? you mean on the repurchase route?
I mean if I had it to do over again I would ask GM to refund the price of the car as the deal. This keeps things simple. For example even after GM and a dealer 100 miles away agreed to the deal, it took 2 months to deliver the car. Now if your current dealer has a car in stock you would want AND will accept the GM deal (they don't have to) then that could work and you get to apply the tax credit. There is no negotiation on the price.

And you may or may not like the refresh. GM will refund what you paid for the car including the tax. You could also bug them for the dealer fees. Not sure if they might ding you for mileage. My ZL1 had only 3K miles on it. The buyback process took 4 months for me. Take the loaner. Even though the deal took way too long, lots of respect for GM for backing up their cars.

With the cash in hand you can decide what and where to buy and negotiate your best deal. It is the best time of year to buy a car. Who knows, maybe you always wanted to try a Hellcat or a Mustang. Both have advantages and disadvantages compared to the Camaro. All three are a blast to drive. No losers here.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Calvear0

Thank you all for your input, I guess I have to wait and see what kind of numbers they come back to me with. I did buy the car CPO with 8,500 miles so idk how that would work in my favor
Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Also you might want to consider a Mustang.
SHAME! [Rings Bell] SHAME! [Rings Bell] SHAME! [Rings Bell] SHAME! [Rings Bell] SHAME! [Rings Bell]

I've been hearing about too many issues with, well, everything... especially drivetrain.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithias View Post
Just fyi pretty much every manual 2018/19 mustang is having issues right now, it's a matter of when, not if, the 3-4 shift fork breaks, and the part is back orderd with owners waiting 2 months for their cars to be fixed.

Also Ford's tuning of the 10 speed automatic is God awful compared to how its tuned in the 2019 SS.

Not to mention when you compare options to options Ford's prices aren't really better....

On topic:
OP should take the trade in route on a new 2019 imo instead of fishing for a deal.
I agree with you 100%, but you left off another big one, the GTs are also having piston slap as well. If you get on youtube several of the guys are posting motor issue videos.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
NoctisLucisCaelum

Drives: 2019 SSG Camaro 2SS
Couldn’t figure out how to PM this but there’s no personal info on it.

This is my letter from GM about the repurchase. Even though I went replacemt, it does lay out the options. This would be for CA only as well as OP is in CA.
Attached Images

NoctisLucisCaelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
Lithias

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree, but you left off another big one is the GT are also having piston slap as well. If you get on youtube several of the guys are posting motor issues as well.
Oh yeah I forgot about that one! Not to mention Ford's current fix for it is just to let it destroy the engine and then replace the whole engine.....
3000......9/19/18 TPW: 11/26/18
3300......11/9/18 TPW: 11/26/18
3400......11/12/18 TPW: 11/26/18
4300......11/22/18 BUILT! VIN: 1G1FH1R72K0123562
4B00......11/27/18 Waiting for Dispatch! Tentative delivery date of 12/11!
4300......11/28/18 Waiting for the train to Florida!
4200......12/5/18 SHIPPED!
4800......12/14/18
5000/6000......12/18/18 SHE'S HOME BOYS!
Follow me on Instagram! @the_3ngin33r
Lithias is offline   Reply With Quote