Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfl2004 View Post
I'm 54 yrs old and an old school muscle guy. I love my car but air sounds belong on ricers.
You may have bought the wrong car..
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
You may have bought the wrong car..
Don't get me wrong, I love my car. For what I paid and the way it came packaged, I'm very happy. I like modding it and enjoy just looking at it. My other car is a 2016 Mini Cooper Countryman S, so I have nothing against turbos.
With that said, I've always wanted an SS but got a dose of reality when I saw the numbers. I plan on trading her in in a few years and getting into that SS.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #17
Start The Machine

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love my car. For what I paid and the way it came packaged, I'm very happy. I like modding it and enjoy just looking at it. My other car is a 2016 Mini Cooper Countryman S, so I have nothing against turbos.
With that said, I've always wanted an SS but got a dose of reality when I saw the numbers. I plan on trading her in in a few years and getting into that SS.
I couldn't pass up the screaming deal I got on mine too. I really don't think the dealership knew what they had sold me. I've always had a soft spot for Japanese imports though. I might look into a used 16' 1SS in the future as well. Nothing beats the nasty V8 power. However, there is something to be said about how much fun it is to ream the piss out of a high RPM, small displacement, forced induction engine.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 11-01-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #18
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by raflyer View Post
Not to be a dick but I know it's coming, your desired boost is higher in the comparison pics! Come on, keep the desired the same and if it the valve is working which im sure it is, the actual should be higher and smoother. I want this to work as much as the next guy but you are giving us nothing to compare real results.
I think Cooper was trying to show the differences at the same speed (mph), while the RPM may vary slightly. I don't see anything that says desired boost in the pics, he is pointing out actual. I see throttle desired airflow, and throttle desired map, but I don't really think that means anything, that's what the car desires. In both instances that Cooper posted, neither the stock run log screen shots (which were my personal logs in HP Tuners with the stock tune), and Cooper's own EFI live screen shots running on a Vermont Tuning E85 tune, neither one had any changes made in the tune to attempt to skew any of the log readings to look better with the JacFab valve, the only change that was made to either car was going from the OEM recirculation valve, to the JacFab valve.

Take his screenshots with a grain of salt if you don't agree with them... We tentatively have dyno time scheduled for the 17th so we can get some actual dyno info.

To add to this, I believe the JF valve will react differently based on different tuners tunes. When cooper added the valve, his car would not exceed the boost he is shooting for in his tune. Another customer with a tune from a different tuner put the valve on and it was overshooting the boost they wanted to actually be running by 4psi (on the stock valve, they were peaking to 24 just after a shift, and it would taper off to 22psi by redline, where as when he put the valve on it would peak to 28 and taper off to 26 by redline, he had to go in and modify his tune to get the boost back to where he wanted it after putting the valve on).

Quote:
I'm 54 yrs old and an old school muscle guy. I love my car but air sounds belong on ricers.
I feel you. It seems that even some people with the stock tune, and the stock valve are getting a sound, which is further amplified by adding a cold air intake. We never designed this part with sound in mind, only performance. Unfortunately eliminating the leaky factory valve only further amplifies the sound that even some stock guys are getting. With a stock intake airbox, I rarely notice it, but I don't currently have a cold air intake to test with at the moment. I am currently running a "stock version" prototype on my car, and with the addition of trying to keep the check engine light off on the stock tune, I am also making an attempt to kill the sound, but seeing as how even some stock valve people are already complaining about the sound, it may not be possible to fix.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-31-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
I couldn't pass up the screaming deal I got on mine to. I really don't think the dealership knew what they had sold me. I've always had a soft spot for Japanese imports though. I might look into a used 16' 1SS in the future as well. Nothing beats the nasty V8 power. However, their is something to be said about how fun it is to ream the piss out of a high RPM small displacement engine.
This gen6 design is absolutely gorgeous. Chevy nailed it. I get looks at every red light.
Sincerely speaking, you cannot go wrong with any of the 3 available engines. There's a price point for everyone without sacrificing performance. I don't plan on racing or immediately tuning mine but I do enjoy the modding, even though it's been minor cosmetic stuff with the exception of the Flowmaster exhaust. Before this I had a 2015 Kia Soul, so as you could imagine, these days I'm like a kid in candy store.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #20
SSShark

I feel you. It seems that even some people with the stock tune, and the stock valve are getting a sound, which is further amplified by adding a cold air intake. We never designed this part with sound in mind, only performance. Unfortunately eliminating the leaky factory valve only further amplifies the sound that even some stock guys are getting. With a stock intake airbox, I rarely notice it, but I don't currently have a cold air intake to test with at the moment. I am currently running a "stock version" prototype on my car, and with the addition of trying to keep the check engine light off on the stock tune, I am also making an attempt to kill the sound, but seeing as how even some stock valve people are already complaining about the sound, it may not be possible to fix.[/QUOTE]

No worries Jason, you're doing an amazing job and you deserve a lot of credit. I thank you. As soon as stock becomes available for the no-tune version, I will be picking one up. I don't have a CAI, just a K&N high flow air filter so it shouldn't be a deal breaker considering the gain.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
I heard a rumor about feeling the wind in your face is that true? @jac fab
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #22
Start The Machine

I think it's just me..... I actually like the sound this thing gives off.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #23
15CamaroV6

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro I4 Turbo
I wants 1.
15CamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15CamaroV6 View Post
I wants 1.
I sent a PM to Jason at JacFab. He responded same day to my questions about availability and price.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #25
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Just put mine on and its awesome! Car rips off idle now and pulls almost to 6k. Little jumpy off idle but I got used to it in a few minutes. Also, its makes the flutter noise almost after every shift but I kinda like it. Still have yet to throw a CEL but did get a service engine soon warning twice. Nice job Jason!
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep95 View Post
Just put mine on and its awesome! Car rips off idle now and pulls almost to 6k. Little jumpy off idle but I got used to it in a few minutes. Also, its makes the flutter noise almost after every shift but I kinda like it. Still have yet to throw a CEL but did get a service engine soon warning twice. Nice job Jason!
Not sure what that service engine soon warning is about? I've never seen that before ever?

Glad to hear you like it, aside from your weird issue.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #27
rayruner

Drives: 16 2.0 red
ats jacfab valve

received a jacfab valve last week, been waiting a while, I have a 16 ats with boost guage, after the install went for a ride, really can;t feel a difference, if anything car doesn't feel as good as with the factory valve. made a couple wide open runs didn't even get a light, I got a tuned valve and the car is not tuned. reason for the tuned valve, I all ready how a valve that leaks, or so that's what i read. Took the valve back off to make sure everything was installed right. the only thing i saw was the cylinder that moves back and forth was sticking, anyone else have that problem. if i knew what i know now, I would,n bought it.
rayruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
received a jacfab valve last week, been waiting a while, I have a 16 ats with boost guage, after the install went for a ride, really can;t feel a difference, if anything car doesn't feel as good as with the factory valve. made a couple wide open runs didn't even get a light, I got a tuned valve and the car is not tuned. reason for the tuned valve, I all ready how a valve that leaks, or so that's what i read. Took the valve back off to make sure everything was installed right. the only thing i saw was the cylinder that moves back and forth was sticking, anyone else have that problem. if i knew what i know now, I would,n bought it.
Well you're the first to not be able to feel a difference, and not like it. Don't like it? Send it back for a full refund, as we have a 30 day happiness guarantee, no questions asked.

To respond to a couple other of the things you said:

Quote:
received a jacfab valve last week, been waiting a while
You paid on the 15th, It shipped on the 19th. This isn't a 6 month+ mishimoto take your money fail here. I told you when they would ship, and it shipped when I said it would... Or did you mean since I've been working on this project for almost a year you've been waiting that long? I'm actually surprised that with as many as I shipped last week, and during a holiday week, people got as many as they did.

Quote:
made a couple wide open runs didn't even get a light, I got a tuned valve and the car is not tuned.
The thing does not immediately throw a check engine light upon putting it on. We've put a lot of work into it to get it to where it is. The early prototypes the check engine light would come on every 2-3 days, the ones we are sending out, I personally only get a check engine like about once every 3-5 weeks. So if you put it on hoping, or expecting to see a light right away, that's probably the first place you're going to be disappointed.

To add to this statement of yours. I never get a check engine light after, or during a wide open throttle run. You can do WOT runs all you like, and you probably won't get a check engine light. At least in my experience, and especially now that I know under what conditions, and when a CEL generally pops up, the CEL generally only comes on in the low the mid range operating area, under aggressive part throttle operation, not under WOT.

I can drive like a normal guy with the occasional quick burst of fun for weeks and not get the check engine light. But if I'm testing something, or some change, or if I just want to see the light pop up, I CAN drive in such a way to make it pop up at some point during the day, but to get the light to come on, it never involves a wide open throttle run.

Quote:
the only thing i saw was the cylinder that moves back and forth was sticking, anyone else have that problem.
We did notice this occasionally, and it really only happens when the part is not in the car. Best we can figure is the o-ring seal in the bore pushes the oil away from the sealing surface if it sits for a while, and is gently stuck. It doesn't take much to get it moving again, and once it moves it gets the lube on it again and continues to move freely. This really is a non issue with the part installed on the car as even if it DID stick in the car, all it takes is a little getting into the boost to move the piston, or just one cycle of the solenoid from the ecm and its moving again...

I rigged up an automated arduino cycle test a month or two back to easily test for issues and/or failures, and the valve moved as commanded, when commanded, with no faults, and no leaks. We ran this test for around 30,000 cycles which put the "sticking" theory to rest. As long as it is in the car, and there is boost and/or spring pressure its fine.

You've been kind of negative about it for a while, perhaps you were expecting it to do more than it does, so you feel let down. If you want to send it back for inspection, I will gladly cover the shipping costs just to make sure its adjusted and working properly. We set up every single one IN a factory turbo to make sure the everything is correct. I wouldn't mind checking it out if you're not happy, as like I said, you're the only not happy one, and coincidentally, the only one that has been negative about it before even getting one.

So I'll leave it up to you, send it back for a full refund if you're not happy, or send it back for inspection and a potential adjustment or replacement. Typically I've found if I put it on and the car feels slower, I've done something wrong. Remove and replace. Generally fixed.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 11-24-2018 at 04:24 PM.