Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
What's the purpose of the crimped exhaust?

Al,

What function is provided by the crimps in the section of exhaust pipe near the rear differential?

Thank you!

(I’m not certain if this exists on all trims. It is at least present on the SS and ZL1.)

Name:  pipes.jpg
Views: 3025
Size:  76.9 KB

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
It is crimped to allow a common pet number between the coupes and the convertibles. The convertibles have a brace there which the coupes do not have.

It does not materially impact power, though it does impact sound.

Source: I asked a GM engineer who worked on the development of the car.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
It is crimped to allow a common pet number between the coupes and the convertibles. The convertibles have a brace there which the coupes do not have.

It does not materially impact power, though it does impact sound.

Source: I asked a GM engineer who worked on the development of the car.
Thanks! That sounds reasonable. I suppose I was looking for a slightly more official answer, but this will suffice.

Does anybody have a picture of this brace that the exhaust must avoid? I tried googling, but I didn't find an actual picture.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 02-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
How does this not affect power? Does it have the same total inside area?
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
At one time there was an issue with some aftermarket exhaust systems that touched the cross member and slight rattle caused the appearance of knock which would retard timing and pull power.
Not something you want to deal with.

Crimps have definitely been shown as a non-issue as far as power is concerned.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
One company ran one test a couple of years ago and saw no gain removing them. Another company recently shows a gain removing them. I can tell you removing them along with the afm valves was my first mod.

I would estimate they are crushed to 60% of their original cross section.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
How does this not affect power? Does it have the same total inside area?
Over the entire length of exhaust pipe, you're only losing a few hp from the pipes themselves. So excluding the mufflers, excluding the cats. Just the round pipes themselves. And thats on roughly a 10 foot length.

That crushed area is what ... 4, maybe 6 inches in length? So no more than about 5% of the total length. Now, its still fairly close to the same overall area. Maybe it increases restriction in that one little section by 20%.

To make the math simple, lets say there was maybe 10 hp lost along the total length of pipe from the engine to the tips. 1 hp/foot. This little 6 inch section, if it were full diameter, would then be robbing you of a whole 1/2 a horsepower. But since its flattened on the one side making it a bit more restrictive its now like 0.6 hp. A difference of 0.1 hp from a 'perfect' pipe. Oh wait, there's two parallel sides ... so its total for the system of 0.2 hp. Give or take. You're not going to notice that tiny of a difference on a dyno, let alone out in the world.

I'm just guestimating my numbers here. But even if I'm way off, its still hard to get it to work out to more than about 1 hp extra compared to a perfect pair of pipes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
parish8

here is what holly is claiming with their crush pipe delete kit.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
travislambert

Those dyno runs were 5 months apart. I'm not saying I don't believe it... well... yeah I am. I don't believe it.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
parish8

like I said above one place says 0 gain. everyone believes it and preaches it. another place says 12hp. for the cost to get rid of it was a no brainer for me. most people considering this mod will or have all ready done other mods. it would be great to see a same day test.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
like I said above one place says 0 gain. everyone believes it and preaches it. another place says 12hp. for the cost to get rid of it was a no brainer for me. most people considering this mod will or have all ready done other mods. it would be great to see a same day test.
To me, its a no brainer to not trust a company's data when they're blatantly trying to sell you something based on that data. Thats what 3rd party testing is for.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
To me, its a no brainer to not trust a company's data when they're blatantly trying to sell you something based on that data. Thats what 3rd party testing is for.
I agree. it would be great if someone did some back to back tests. this question comes up at least once a month, it would be great to have a little more data on it.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Over the entire length of exhaust pipe, you're only losing a few hp from the pipes themselves. So excluding the mufflers, excluding the cats. Just the round pipes themselves. And thats on roughly a 10 foot length.

That crushed area is what ... 4, maybe 6 inches in length? So no more than about 5% of the total length. Now, its still fairly close to the same overall area. Maybe it increases restriction in that one little section by 20%.

To make the math simple, lets say there was maybe 10 hp lost along the total length of pipe from the engine to the tips. 1 hp/foot. This little 6 inch section, if it were full diameter, would then be robbing you of a whole 1/2 a horsepower. But since its flattened on the one side making it a bit more restrictive its now like 0.6 hp. A difference of 0.1 hp from a 'perfect' pipe. Oh wait, there's two parallel sides ... so its total for the system of 0.2 hp. Give or take. You're not going to notice that tiny of a difference on a dyno, let alone out in the world.

I'm just guestimating my numbers here. But even if I'm way off, its still hard to get it to work out to more than about 1 hp extra compared to a perfect pair of pipes.
Sorry, but your “theory” is 100% patently false. By your “theory” If there was 1” of exhaust length that was only 1mm diameter it would not effect performance much if at all because the length of the restriction is so short. That’s just not true.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89