Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Shorty or Long Tube Headers for LT1?

As the title says, Shorty or Long Tubes... Which do you prefer and why?

Long Tube Headers: They seem to do the best job in building horsepower and torque from mid-to-high RPMs. But, they do sacrifice some of the low-RPM power that most drivers depend on.

Shorty Headers: These deliver more horsepower and torque from idle to the mid-RPM range.

What are you thoughts?
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 AM   #2
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Not going to mess with the tri y headers on the SS until warranty is up, then its definitely long tubes. Loved the power and sound if them on my 5th gen
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Not going to mess with the tri y headers on the SS until warranty is up, then its definitely long tubes. Loved the power and sound if them on my 5th gen
Headers typically do not void your warranty. So no need to wait.

I do know long tube headers are illegal in California for emissions :(
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
since we are on this topic, I have a quick question? Since the new camaro has the tri y headers how much performance will we see from swapping out headers? Will it be worth it?
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Headers typically do not void your warranty. So no need to wait.

I do know long tube headers are illegal in California for emissions :(
The problem is with LTs is that most people think you have to add a custom tune. Once you tune, then you are at risk of losing your engine warranty, if not your drive train warranty.

With the 5th gen LS3/L99 if you add LTs without a tune you will get CELs which makes everyone nervous and if they happen while the car is at your dealer, there could be trouble. While there are laws about denying warranties some dealers will ignore them and deny anyway. Do you really want to hire a lawyer to get your engine fixed?

What we do know is that adding LTs to the 5th gen V8s do not make the engine run lean. Not sure about the V6es. So if you do not mind CELs you can ignore them or turn them off and avoid tuning. You will most likely keep your warranty and can add LTs to enjoy the power with only a little risk. But do we know adding LTs to the new engines will not make them run lean?

Adding a tune will add more power, but the majority of the gain comes with just the LT install. The tune adds icing to the cake.

We do know adding LTs can affect emissions and bad tuning can destroy an engine. So I do not think we can blame the dealers for not letting us mod our engines.

I think once you start adding things like LTs, you should understand your warranty is at least at risk. To work with that you should ask your dealer before you buy your car how they feel about bolt-on mods. There are some dealers who are cool with that.

It will be interesting to see dyno gains with replacing the stock tri-Y with LTs on the LT1. I think (correct me if I am wrong Ford guys) Mustang 5.0s do not gain all that much power from adding LTs to a stock engine. The new Camaro may be more like that since Chevy seems to have paid attention to exhaust flow already with a new manifold design.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-17-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
kain279

Drives: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So I do not think we can blame the dealers for not letting us mod our engines.
Actually, we can.

Dealers looking for ways to deny warranty claims are throwing away free money as they charge that shit back to the manufacturers. It is one of the reasons they are so aggressive about getting people in for warranty work--they can bill it out at agreed upon rates and they always get paid.

So besides the Magnusson-Moss act dealers looking for ways to not do warranty work are not very bright.
kain279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
BSX_Camaro
Unleash the Beast!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I know its not apples to apples but I thought this was interesting.

"Now that the tuners have their hands on the new 2014 Corvette Stingray, we’re starting to see the aftermarket world works its magic. LG Motorsports has a Z51-equipped Corvette Stingray and they’ve already added a set of their popular Long Tube headers to the LT1. Still equipped with the stock GM tune and air assembly, LG saw a gain of 30 hp and 45 ft-lbs torque."

Food for thought on this topic.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSX_Camaro View Post
I know its not apples to apples but I thought this was interesting.

"Now that the tuners have their hands on the new 2014 Corvette Stingray, we’re starting to see the aftermarket world works its magic. LG Motorsports has a Z51-equipped Corvette Stingray and they’ve already added a set of their popular Long Tube headers to the LT1. Still equipped with the stock GM tune and air assembly, LG saw a gain of 30 hp and 45 ft-lbs torque."

Food for thought on this topic.
Holy shit, that seems like a big bump with just headers. Stock cats too? Or hi flows?

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain279 View Post
Actually, we can.

Dealers looking for ways to deny warranty claims are throwing away free money as they charge that shit back to the manufacturers. It is one of the reasons they are so aggressive about getting people in for warranty work--they can bill it out at agreed upon rates and they always get paid.

So besides the Magnusson-Moss act dealers looking for ways to not do warranty work are not very bright.

Incorrect. The dealer submits a bill to General Motors who then inspects the failed part for damage/misuse/incorrect diagnosis.... anything they can use against the dealer to reject the claim. yes, reject the claim. Meaning you got a free repair and the dealer took the bill for you. This is why dealers reject you.

Back to the headers. Bolting on headers alone are a decent gain but the tune is what makes it all work together. If you do one you may as well do the other. It's like buying sticky tires and not putting air in them.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon

Last edited by DemonZL1; 09-17-2015 at 11:51 AM.
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Yeah if I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right and have it tuned. I hate driving around with a cel.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Holy shit, that seems like a big bump with just headers. Stock cats too? Or hi flows?
Yea, A big part of the LT gain (15+ HP) is hi-flow or no cats.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
BSX_Camaro
Unleash the Beast!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Here is the article that I got the information from. Does say no CATs.

Article
Old 09-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Correct me if I am wrong but the tri y headers are pretty close to short headers. Personally I do not think there will be much benefit. The exhaust in the new camaro stocks looks very nice. I am going to keep stock but will drop the rear muffler (s) until going to stroke to a 427 then long tube headers for sure! Love the stainless works full exhaust system.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I was wondering if the tri-y's that were revealed in the weeks leading up to the cars reveal will be standard or an option? if they're standard then I see no point in installing shorty's.