Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Will there be a GT350 answer at launch?

I know Chevrolet will have an answer, just wondering if it will be orderable at launch?
455hp may seem great for an SS, but why should GM wait to release a NA ringer against the GT350(R).
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
No. It will only be the V6 and SS at launch. The turbo 4 will be early 2016.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahdir View Post
I know Chevrolet will have an answer, just wondering if it will be orderable at launch?
455hp may seem great for an SS, but why should GM wait to release a NA ringer against the GT350(R).
I'm going to answer that question with another question:

Did Ford have a Z/28 answer when it launched the Mustang?

Its exceedingly rare for a high performance version to be available on day 1. The only time I can remember that happening is when the Challenger was initially built only as an SRT8 model, with the V6s and smaller V8s coming later.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
I wouldn't expect anything until around this time next year.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
look for 1le and zl1 before they start competing with gt350
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
look for 1le and zl1 before they start competing with gt350
The 2016 SS with MRC is going to be somewhere between Mustang GTPP and GT350 on the track. MRC is some amazing stuff. *IF* Chevrolet does a 1LE version, its going to likely be even more hardcore than the current 1LE, considering they are saying the 2016 SS is already as fast or faster than the 1LE.

So the new 2016 1LE (or equivalent...maybe they will just go straight to another new Z/28) will likely give the standard GT350 a good run.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
The Camaro SS and the Shelby GT350 are due on the street around the same time. I think most of the automotive world will be quite surprised how well the SS holds up against the GT350. The LT1 will have less horsepower but more torques and the Camaro chassis will once again outshine even a Shelby tweaked Ford platform.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Early spy shots at the ring showed a variant with a splitter on the front. While clearly not available at the release, it shouldn't be long before we see a performance model. Be it a Z car or a 1LE
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
blacks550gt

Drives: 2015 mustang gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
The Camaro SS and the Shelby GT350 are due on the street around the same time. I think most of the automotive world will be quite surprised how well the SS holds up against the GT350. The LT1 will have less horsepower but more torques and the Camaro chassis will once again outshine even a Shelby tweaked Ford platform.
How do you figure that the alpha chassis is or will be superior to the s550 chassis? I'm looking to possibly get a gt350 in a couple of years, once demand dies down. But if GM takes out a superior product, then I'm open to checking that out.as well.
Don't mean to troll or anything of that sort, it's a legitimate question.
blacks550gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacks550gt View Post
How do you figure that the alpha chassis is or will be superior to the s550 chassis? I'm looking to possibly get a gt350 in a couple of years, once demand dies down. But if GM takes out a superior product, then I'm open to checking that out.as well.
Don't mean to troll or anything of that sort, it's a legitimate question.
I echo this. The Alpha is a platform that underpins the Camaro but also other cars including sedans. The S550 chassis is specific to the Mustang and, to this point, not shared with any other car. That means it was designed specifically to accommodate whatever powertrain options planned for the Mustang in the future. The Alpha has been adapted to accommodate a V8, let alone any higher performance versions that might be planned in the future. To suggest that one platform is better than another based simply on the fact that one was engineered by Ford and the other by GM is laughable.

Last edited by titanfan; 05-24-2015 at 07:35 AM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I will be shocked if a new SS base model competes with GT350. Not knocking it, but the GT350 will no doubt be a serious track car. I know GM will have an answer for the GT350, it's the upcoming GT500 that worries me. I think it might be a dragon slayer (or ahem, a cat killer) with monster hp, great street manners and still highly track capable.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
I ech this. The Alpha is a platform that underpins the Camaro but also other cars including sedans. The S550 chassis is specific to the Mustang and, to this point, not shared with any other car. That means it was designed specifically to accommodate whatever powertrain options planned for the Mustang in the future. The Alpha has been adapted to accommodate a V8, let alone any higher performance versions that might be planned in the future. To suggest that one platform is better than another based simply on the fact that one was engineered by Ford and the other by GM is laughable.
Don't think for a second that Alpha was designed to be 4 & 6 cylinder only and had to be 'adapted' to accommodate a V8. The Camaro, and CTS-V were both intended to use it from day one, which means V8s were always in the plans -not an afterthought.

And while sharing a platform does result in some compromises, when the cars that share it are supposed to be similar in function its not much of a compromise. The advantage with platform sharing is that the more cars use a platform, the further engineering costs can be spread. That lets you do one of two things: a) save money, increasing the overall profitability or b) invest even more money into R&D to make it even better.

Conversely, if you take platform sharing as the norm ... a single vehicle that can only expect half a million or so sales of relatively low priced cars over its lifetime will need to make a few cost saving compromises in order to have a solid business plan.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
I ech this. The Alpha is a platform that underpins the Camaro but also other cars including sedans. The S550 chassis is specific to the Mustang and, to this point, not shared with any other car. That means it was designed specifically to accommodate whatever powertrain options planned for the Mustang in the future. The Alpha has been adapted to accommodate a V8, let alone any higher performance versions that might be planned in the future. To suggest that one platform is better than another based simply on the fact that one was engineered by Ford and the other by GM is laughable.
Perhaps you didn't see the Motortrend Head 2 Head where the gen5 Zeta 1LE handled the S550 GT PP. Chevy say the new SS nears the outgoing 1LE. Imagine the new 1LE!

I don't understand the "sedan" dig by the Ford guys. Chevy dominated with the Zeta platform in gen5 and sharing DNA with the CTS-V and ATS-V for gen6 is a good thing IMO.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jUQZwmTKMqw
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #14
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I agree and it was known from day 1 this was a Camaro and Cadillac platform. It needed to be used on Cadillac for a few years so the perception was that it's a Cadillac platform first, made to work with Camaro. Had it come out in the Camaro first it would have been looked down upon as being a Chevy platform not worthy of a Cadillac no matter how good it is.

I also don't think Ford can match GM in chassis sand powertrain, but time will tell. As of now, they sure don't.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote