Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Have you experienced unexpected power loss at low speeds with the 6th Gen ZL1?
Yes, I feel there is an issue with the car's ability to take off gently and/or launch. 104 64.20%
No, the car seems fine to me. 26 16.05%
I do not own a 6th Gen ZL1. 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #29
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith353 View Post
First, I should quantify my post here by saying I do not own a ZL1, nor have I driven one. But I read this section pretty much every day. The symptoms being described here seem similar to issues discussed in a previous thread about the rev limiter kicking in. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=493356&page=5 From what I can deduce from all of this, if your foot is even touching the clutch pedal in a ZL1, there is some form of logic at work to prevent damage to the drivetrain.
It's an interesting thought. Unfortunately not resting your foot on the clutch isn't really an option while taking off from a stop. I suppose you could rev it up and smash the shifter into first gear (just kidding).

I can't help but think it's related to the miscalculation of wheel slip %. I just need a chance to gather some more data. I'd like to get a video, but I only drive the car on nice days, and it's been raining on and off each day since I started the thread.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #30
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
He may be onto something, maybe once you get past a certain point you need to be off the clutch entirely in Chevy Camaro's teams' opinion. And the feature stops above 5,000 to prep for no lift shifts if wanted?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #31
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
He may be onto something, maybe once you get past a certain point you need to be off the clutch entirely in Chevy Camaro's teams' opinion. And the feature stops above 5,000 to prep for no lift shifts if wanted?
Maybe so, but it doesn't explain why it shows wheel slip when there isn't any.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #32
LSmith353

Drives: 2015 Ultimate Track SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
I didn't read through the whole thing again, but if I recall correctly that feature doesn't activate until 5000 rpm.
If you read the tech bulletin that was posted (actually a picture of it), the ECM is monitoring what's going on with the clutch in relation to engine rpm, speed, clutch position and load at all RPMs. Like I said, I don't know anything, but maybe the ECM displays eLSD slip when it is actually clutch slip.

Yeah, i know its supposed to be from one side to the other, but the ECM knows how fast the back tires "should" be moving at any given RPM. Could be, when the back tires are moving slower than what the RPMs would indicate, the eLSD is "helping" limit torque by not applying full engagement to both back tires and not relying totally on cutting timing. Or it could be that it's just confused.....
2010 2SS/RS M6 -- SOLD
LSmith353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #33
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith353 View Post
If you read the tech bulletin that was posted (actually a picture of it), the ECM is monitoring what's going on with the clutch in relation to engine rpm, speed, clutch position and load at all RPMs. Like I said, I don't know anything, but maybe the ECM displays eLSD slip when it is actually clutch slip.

Yeah, i know its supposed to be from one side to the other, but the ECM knows how fast the back tires "should" be moving at any given RPM. Could be, when the back tires are moving slower than what the RPMs would indicate, the eLSD is "helping" limit torque by not applying full engagement to both back tires and not relying totally on cutting timing. Or it could be that it's just confused.....
Interesting theory. But recall my post above about slip registering even when I'm coasting in neutral (clutch fully depressed).

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #34
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Maybe so, but it doesn't explain why it shows wheel slip when there isn't any.
It may not be displaying wheel slip and is showing differential/drivetrain slip?

Idk maybe this has nothing to do with it.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #35
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
It may not be displaying wheel slip and is showing differential/drivetrain slip?

Idk maybe this has nothing to do with it.

I don't think it's differential slip. At its core the eLSD is just an open differential. There's no way for it to slip both wheels at the same time. So, unless one tire tire is moving faster than the other, the internal differential clutch isn't slipping. Since this problem happens while the car is going straight and neither tire is spinning, I've kinda ruled out the differential slip. (In my mind at least.)

The clutch slip is what I suspect is being factored into the wheel slip % calculation. With that said, I'm not sure why the powertrain would be factored into a wheel slip calculation at all. It seems reasonable that the wheel speeds and steering angle would be all they'd really need to calculate wheel slip. Trying to calculate wheel slip based on the engine RPM, clutch position, gear selection, etc. seems to be unnecessarily complicated, but I suspect something like this might be what GM is doing.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #36
travislambert

I just remembered this thread from about a month back...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494147

I'd bet the first gear start problems described are caused by the same issue identified in this thread.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #37
bmlocal175

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Black M6 PDR
When I watched this video of some 0 to 60 runs, the first thing I thought was how bogged down the car seemed on launch. Seemed like it was killing the times. Get past all his talking and just watch the runs.

bmlocal175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #38
ELS1

Drives: N/A
For the people who have tuned their car, are you experience similar issues?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #39
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
The shift is hurting his times. Just let 1st gear rip to 100kph.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #40
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Want to throw my .02 cents in...I'm an old guy, but all this traction control, torque management, etc just sucks...what we need is a car where you hit one button, called maximum acceleration, that puts all these variables in the right mode..don't really want to have to trial and error everything...is that not too easy for this day and age? just saying!!!! all this shit makes me crazy!!!!
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #41
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
The shift is hurting his times. Just let 1st gear rip to 100kph.
This.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #42
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You have to also realize how tall these gears are cause it makes so much power. My zl1 feels slower off the line than my 96 procharged z because the gears are so incredibly tall. Especially 1st. But i like it. Its harder to spin out of 1st and when i do race it 1st gear will actually be usable.