Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
-7 Celsius is their absolute lower limit.

This is a fair weather car for sure.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Be aware in any single digit Celsius, maybe im just over paranoid. I have been stuck in +3 slushy windy weather before and had to take a nap until the sun came up for a few hours. Wearing Pilot super sports.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
toronto18zl1

Drives: Cayenne GTS, Tesla SP90D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggitydog View Post
Get the ZL1. Couple things though. 8 months will be torture as you get to fall and missed the summer. The tires are low temp rated at -7c so you'll be in your SUV mostly until....March or April. Look at the March delivery pic for NB2017ZL1. ZL1 popsicle. I ordered mine in November and got lucky for April. Just something to keep in mind.

The car is SO stable you will not have trouble handling it at all.
Guess I'll have to distract myself from thinking about how long the waiting time is :( From all the reviews that I have been reading here and online, i'd say 8 months is worth it though.
On the side note, how to I store the car to prevent tire damage in the winter? Because even I'm parking the car in the garage it can go as low as -5 in Kingston :/
toronto18zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #18
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
Be aware in any single digit Celsius, maybe im just over paranoid. I have been stuck in +3 slushy windy weather before and had to take a nap until the sun came up for a few hours. Wearing Pilot super sports.
Exactly right!.... i pulled out my 2SS with stock tires after it had snowed a dusting and incline was maybe 5% and got stuck even with LSD and winter/snow mode. Had to get pushed back into garage. At low temps the rubber compound becomes stiff and useless re. traction...

Both SS and ZL1 factory tires are strictly summer tires, NOT useable at all in winter time unless super dry and then just low speed short trip... The DWS06 is a nice all-weather tire, but not sure available in ZL1 20" size, i used the SS 20" size (narrower).
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #19
COLPhil

Drives: 2005 Avalanche, 1999 Corvette
Take as many high performance driving schools and attend as many solo track day events as you can in something lower powered between now and the time you take delivery of the car. You need to learn car control. 650 BHP/650FTLB CAN kill you even with all the safety nannies (former BMWCCA driving school instructor here). I'm VERY serious.
COLPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
catdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLPhil View Post
Take as many high performance driving schools and attend as many solo track day events as you can in something lower powered between now and the time you take delivery of the car. You need to learn car control. 650 BHP/650FTLB CAN kill you even with all the safety nannies (former BMWCCA driving school instructor here). I'm VERY serious.
And that my friend is the single piece of advice that you should take to heart...

There will always be more powerful faster cars (hopefully) but you need to start with something lower powered, especially in colder/mixed weather climate....
Old 06-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #21
catdog

Unless you stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before every drive...

https://youtu.be/l8Ah8WTL2i8

https://youtu.be/8dOHEw8izno
Old 06-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #22
COLPhil

Drives: 2005 Avalanche, 1999 Corvette
After the Holiday Inn Express you're easily up to Michael Schumacher standards! LOL.
COLPhil is offline   Reply With Quote