Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
i'd like to see a comparison of the stock manifolds to shorty headers. I bet there is little to no gain on the LT1 camaro. Gm has provided us with an excellent starting point and i don't think there is a flaw in the factory manifolds. Going to long tubes, i feel there is a gain there, for sure.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Shortys are mostly a waste of time anyway. With the LT1 you might as well wipe your back end with your money.

The length of the individual tubes is what produces the power. Exhaust scavenging.

Minimal gains from shortys in some applications are because of poorly designed original equipment. On something like an ls3 gains will be very very minimal. On the lt1 a shorty header will be inferior to a tri-y.

No matter how well designed and smooth the bends etc are on a shorty it will never even get close to a longtube...its impossible. You just get slight gains compared to stock manifold designs in some applications.

From the many before and after graphs ive seen longtubes produce gains from bottom to top. And the bigger the better. (to a certain point obviously)

2 inch primary headers beat the smaller 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 headers on a stock ls3 motor from the very bottom to the top. It was well documented on camaro 5 I believe jannetty racing did the test. Very fair and unbiased accurate testing.

I will be getting two inch primary longtubes for my lt1
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I want to see a comparison between the stock tri shorty headers and long tubes. I'm sure there will be a jump in power but probably not as much as it was with the 5gen from manifolds to longtubes. I had long tubes on mine and it made a world of difference in power and sound.

I occasionally got the CEL to come on but never put a tune on it. If the dealer wants to void warranty for the custom tune they will not worth it to me.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain279 View Post
Actually, we can.

Dealers looking for ways to deny warranty claims are throwing away free money as they charge that shit back to the manufacturers. It is one of the reasons they are so aggressive about getting people in for warranty work--they can bill it out at agreed upon rates and they always get paid.

So besides the Magnusson-Moss act dealers looking for ways to not do warranty work are not very bright.
I always cringe when I hear somebody say something like, "I'd do that but I don't want to void my warranty..."

You won't void your warranty, Magnuson-Moss act protects consumers from that. But even after explaining this, "well, I still think I'll wait until my warranty is up, I don't want to chance it."
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Anybody know why, or care to speculate as to why Chevy went with the tri-y header design vs the equal length manifold design or a simple shorty manifold design?

I had assumed that the equal length primaries manifold used on the Corvette would be better for gains over the tri-y headers on the Gen6 Camaro, but maybe I'm wrong here?
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
Obsessed 17

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
Going to echo a lot of what others have said. In short, shorties are not worth it, and long tubes come with too many potential problems (emissions and warranty wise) to justify the gains achieved. Also if you get long tubes and an emissions legal supercharger you will need a tune that may or may not pass emissions like the kits tune will.

Bang for the buck with long tubes really isn't there either. Too much cash for too little gain.
Obsessed 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #21
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
I guess some dealers can be dicks but in California they can't do anything if you add headers, or exhaust.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #22
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
I always cringe when I hear somebody say something like, "I'd do that but I don't want to void my warranty..."

You won't void your warranty, Magnuson-Moss act protects consumers from that. But even after explaining this, "well, I still think I'll wait until my warranty is up, I don't want to chance it."
I always cringe when someone brings up to Magnuson-Moss act like it empowers them to make the dealer or GM actually prove the aftermarket part caused the damage.

Stop misleading.

Here are the cliffs. If you modify, the car is modified - or in other words, outside it's designed parameters and therefore GM is not liable.

Want to get in a pissing match with your dealer or GM about a tune, intake or headers not being the reason for your now defective transmission or engine, go for it. You won't win.

But you can always piss away some more money in court touting the Magnuson-Moss act, but I guarantee their high paid lawyers know more about the law than you or your lawyer does.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #23
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
I always cringe when someone brings up to Magnuson-Moss act like it empowers them to make the dealer or GM actually prove the aftermarket part caused the damage.

Stop misleading.

Here are the cliffs. If you modify, the car is modified - or in other words, outside it's designed parameters and therefore GM is not liable.

Want to get in a pissing match with your dealer or GM about a tune, intake or headers not being the reason for your now defective transmission or engine, go for it. You won't win.

But you can always piss away some more money in court touting the Magnuson-Moss act, but I guarantee their high paid lawyers know more about the law than you or your lawyer does.
Well said ^^^

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #24
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post

Stop misleading.

When your dealer offers the option to install them and they make note it doesn't void your warranty.... your good to go. If you buy your car from a dealer that is going to take you to court over potential warranty claims.... find a different dealer.

You must of had some issues in the past. I know I work with legit and honest people and companies.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #25
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed 17 View Post
Going to echo a lot of what others have said. In short, shorties are not worth it, and long tubes come with too many potential problems (emissions and warranty wise) to justify the gains achieved. Also if you get long tubes and an emissions legal supercharger you will need a tune that may or may not pass emissions like the kits tune will.

Bang for the buck with long tubes really isn't there either. Too much cash for too little gain.
I don't buy them for the gain. I buy these for the sound. No tune required.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
When your dealer offers the option to install them and they make note it doesn't void your warranty.... your good to go. If you buy your car from a dealer that is going to take you to court over potential warranty claims.... find a different dealer.

You must of had some issues in the past. I know I work with legit and honest people and companies.
Your dealer can make whatever deal they want with you. It doesn't mean that GM is bound by it unless GM agrees to it.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #27
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Why do people still think long tubes hurt low end power? You should get a tune when adding them to get the most out of them and to make sure you don't go lean but they won't hurt power unless the tune is off. Plus the camaro lt1 shorty headers stock so why buy another set?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #28
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Ive yet to see any significant gains with shorties. The only reason for their existance is for possible emissions compliance, and installation ease. NOT power.
LTs are where the power gains are at; however, that is coming from cast iron, or otherwise junk factory manifolds. These new ones on the LT, IDK if LTs will be worth the effort or price? Very curious to see how this all plays out.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote