Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I drove the I4 and V6 back to back on the same day before buying my V6. I agree the V6 feels a bit soft out of the hole but it quickly makes up for it...especially over the 4 banger
My problem is with my crappy daily commute, I rarely get to realize anything too far beyond quickness (no freeway at all). But I do really value the ability to zip in and out of lanes when the opportunity presents itself (not that you can't do that with a V6).
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
My problem is with my crappy daily commute, I rarely get to realize anything too far beyond quickness (no freeway at all). But I do really value the ability to zip in and out of lanes when the opportunity presents itself (not that you can't do that with a V6).
You'll be glad you went FI rather than the v6. Personally, I've only ever driven an I4. Haven't even ridden in an SS but like Jason mentioned, I autocross and at Camarofest I raced against a 6th gen v6 1LE, a 6th gen SS and a few 5th gen modded SS's and won the class. This was even before I was tuned. I was only running an intake, downpipe, charge pipe and a brake package. I am thoroughly impressed with mine. Although some/most of us have added some decent power by this point, the car is great on it's own. Only thing I would have changed would to have gotten an M6 rather than my A8. Its great for traffic but is a bit finicky at times in auto mode. Keep the dirty girl above 3k and you'll smile every time you switch lanes.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #17
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
You'll be glad you went FI rather than the v6. Personally, I've only ever driven an I4. Haven't even ridden in an SS but like Jason mentioned, I autocross and at Camarofest I raced against a 6th gen v6 1LE, a 6th gen SS and a few 5th gen modded SS's and won the class. This was even before I was tuned. I was only running an intake, downpipe, charge pipe and a brake package. I am thoroughly impressed with mine. Although some/most of us have added some decent power by this point, the car is great on it's own. Only thing I would have changed would to have gotten an M6 rather than my A8. Its great for traffic but is a bit finicky at times in auto mode. Keep the dirty girl above 3k and you'll smile every time you switch lanes.
Very cool! If it was just me, I probably would go with the manual but since my wife doesn't like to drive manual and we also drive together on our daily commute and let's just say, my first priority when driving a manual isn't a smooth drive (lol), I will probably stick with the auto.

Although, with the shuddering issue on the A8 (I have had it with my SS), I wish they would have went with the new A10.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
You will be very happy if you are looking for fun car to drive! I used to own a 2014 ATS with the 6spd stick and 2.0T. Made my decision easy to pick the 4 banger Camaro when I purchased it after trading in the Caddy.

I did not mod the Caddy but have done quite a lot to the Camaro (full exhaust, CNC honed turbo, intercooler, tuned.... etc) and I can say for a few thousand bucks it could run circles around the 2.0 ATS.

The only obvious difference and thing most people hate on is the exhaust note compared to the V8.... goes without saying really.

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #19
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adp2017 View Post
You will be very happy if you are looking for fun car to drive! I used to own a 2014 ATS with the 6spd stick and 2.0T. Made my decision easy to pick the 4 banger Camaro when I purchased it after trading in the Caddy.

I did not mod the Caddy but have done quite a lot to the Camaro (full exhaust, CNC honed turbo, intercooler, tuned.... etc) and I can say for a few thousand bucks it could run circles around the 2.0 ATS.

The only obvious difference and thing most people hate on is the exhaust note compared to the V8.... goes without saying really.
No worries on the sound front for me, I learned quickly that because I leave for work so early in the morning that a loud exhaust doesn't work for me if I want to keep the peace with the neighbors.

I just keep the valves closed on my SS exhaust anyways.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #20
merlin803

May be a crazy question but I have been driving my SS year round in Michigan and it drives great in snow (with at least all season tires), will the turbo A8 have less traction in snow because it doesn't not have LSD?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
May be a crazy question but I have been driving my SS year round in Michigan and it drives great in snow (with at least all season tires), will the turbo A8 have less traction in snow because it doesn't not have LSD?
I've had mine since July 2016 i daily drive rain, sleet, snow in new hampshire and have had zero issues. Very mixed driving terrain from highway, to city and steep hill backroads. I'd keep it in touring in the snow the snow/ice mode only cuts throttle but seems to set my ABS off easier at stop signs for no reason i can find that is relatable.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #22
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Yep , what /\ Evil said.
The open diff in the A8 will turn both wheels in little traction situations, but the wheel that gets traction first, will stop turning.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Simple... Get a 6MT and if you can, get a Premium. MRC shocks, limited slip diff and 3 peddles all for less then you could get it anywhere else.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
You could always do an LSD diff swap. I've done it, as well as a few others.

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of driving mine in the snow yet.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote