Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Change in wheel diameter question

Apex will soon be out with Camaro specific 19" wheels that will allow 305s up front on a ZL1 without spacers. I will likely make the switch. However it got me to thinking going with say 305s on the front and 325s on the back the overall diameter of the wheels/tires will go down 1/2" front and back. Presumably the computer in the car is calibrated for the stock overall wheel diameter. How much impact does this seemingly small change create?
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I run a 305/30/19 square with no issues to the computer. Only thing that would read wrong is the speedometer.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
the diff on your speedo is a couple mph...google a wheel tire calculator....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Badgerbimmer

I run 18s on my M3 versus stock 19s. Only difference was speedo. But that was a 2002, old technology.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 01-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
I've been asking a similar set of questions, and would love to see it end up in the "Ask Al" thread. Specifically diameter ration front to rear. I would think that as long as the ratio of front diameter to rear diameter stays close, differences in diameter would only impact the speedo - not a huge deal. What I need to know, and haven't gotten a solid answer yet is, will changes to the F/R diameter ration impact the control systems.

This thread has a bit on this topic, but just discussion mostly.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...3#post10404173
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I ran 275/35/18 on my V6 1LE for about 7000miles without any issues. Only thing was the speedo was off.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
I ran 275/35/18 on my V6 1LE for about 7000miles without any issues. Only thing was the speedo was off.

I had the same experience with 275/40/18 on my V6 1LE. I'm going to get another set of the same size, or close to it - definitely smaller diameter that the OEM 20" tires.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
I’ve run the equivalent on 285/35 18 square, 305/30 19 square, and 295/30 20 square. All different front to rear OD and overall OD than factory. In all cases, everything works perfectly: PTM, ABS, etc. As Alex said, the only thing that will be off is your speedo.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
I've been asking a similar set of questions, and would love to see it end up in the "Ask Al" thread. Specifically diameter ration front to rear. I would think that as long as the ratio of front diameter to rear diameter stays close, differences in diameter would only impact the speedo - not a huge deal. What I need to know, and haven't gotten a solid answer yet is, will changes to the F/R diameter ration impact the control systems.
The ABS only cares about how closely the front and rear wheel rpm ratio matches the OE rpm ratio, which comes directly from the wheel sensors and nowhere else (so far).

Speed in absolute terms is irrelevant, since the ABS and everything piggybacked on it has to be able to work regardless of car speed or wheel/tire rpm.

Norm
Old 01-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The ABS only cares about how closely the front and rear wheel rpm ratio matches the OE rpm ratio, which comes directly from the wheel sensors and nowhere else (so far).

Speed in absolute terms is irrelevant, since the ABS and everything piggybacked on it has to be able to work regardless of car speed or wheel/tire rpm.

Norm
Thanks Norm!

Do you know if the same holds true for the control systems (stability & traction control)? I would think the stability control is the most likely to be impacted by a difference in front to rear diameter ratio, but I honestly do not know how the system works at the systems level. I'd love to get a Chevy engineers input to put this one to bed.

My concerns are if the calculations / algorithms used in the stability systems are based off of the stock SS diameters, and you change that ratio, minute errors in the control system mean it will not work as intended. That said, the changes may be so minimal that most drivers wouldn't notice. But, if it is impactful, I'd like to know so I can make my decision with data. There are obviously a ton of folks who have made changes to the diameter ratio, and no one seems to be complaining of issues but as I said, the changes may be so small that most folks wouldn't catch it.

Shawn
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Stability and traction control systems are piggybacked on the ABS and use the same sensors. Mostly, they use the ABS HCU in slightly different ways because the HCU is already set up to individually apply and release the wheel cylinders.

I suppose if you put silly-small diameter tires on all four corners AND IF the ABS algorithm has a maximum expected deceleration rate in its calibration (I'm not saying it does), you perhaps could get some odd behavior under hard to extremely hard braking.

Norm
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
the factory diameter/size doesn't make any difference as Norm stated. The sensors report wheel speed rpm data and the "computer(s)" are checking for a delta between front and rear or any one wheel out of synch. There is a magic number for diameter(circumference) difference as this exact number is a point of contention. Keep things nearly equal in wheel rpm front vs rear and all systems are happy. The number should be less than 4% delta, however, (as stated above) the exact number isn't known.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Having run 295/30/20 square i can confirm the car's balance is virtually the same as with stock staggered set up. Many folks seem to run various square set ups here and none reported any issues as far as i can tell. This incl tires in 20, 19 and 18 sizes (per Provoste's post: he has run them all now).

As far as the nannies...I'd start with considering car's rake: with stock staggered set up the rake is x (dont know precise value). When one puts a staggered set up the rake will be reduced. Reducing the rake makes a car more stable. That's likely why the balance seems the same with a square set up even tho there is more tire in the front and less in the rear. I believe less rake simply compensates for this change.

As far as nannies: TC activates based on rear tire slip levels and should continue performing regardless of diameter changes. Stabilitrak activates based on excessive yaw angles. Specifically based on any differences between a car's actual path vs intended path based on a steering lock angle (such as in oversteer).
Hence I dont believe tire sizes play a role here, as intervention is based on excessive yaw angles only (vs anything to do with tires).

An issue may arise if someone put shorter tires up front and taller tires in the rear however (vs stock).
As doing so would increase the rake and make a car less stable and more prone to oversteer especially on entry and mid corner. The issue then could (hypothetically) become: would Stabilitrak be able to intervene successfully given a much looser car vs original design point.

My 2 highly unscientific cents worth of an amateur opinion
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Having run 295/30/20 square i can confirm the car's balance is virtually the same as with stock staggered set up. Many folks seem to run various square set ups here and none reported any issues as far as i can tell. This incl tires in 20, 19 and 18 sizes (per Provoste's post: he has run them all now).

As far as the nannies...I'd start with considering car's rake: with stock staggered set up the rake is x (dont know precise value). When one puts a staggered set up the rake will be reduced. Reducing the rake makes a car more stable. That's likely why the balance seems the same with a square set up even tho there is more tire in the front and less in the rear. I believe less rake simply compensates for this change.

As far as nannies: TC activates based on rear tire slip levels and should continue performing regardless of diameter changes. Stabilitrak activates based on excessive yaw angles. Specifically based on any differences between a car's actual path vs intended path based on a steering lock angle (such as in oversteer).

Hence I dont believe tire sizes play a role here, as intervention is based on excessive yaw angles only (vs anything to do with tires).

An issue may arise if someone put shorter tires up front and taller tires in the rear however (vs stock).
As doing so would increase the rake and make a car less stable and more prone to oversteer especially on entry and mid corner. The issue then could (hypothetically) become: would Stabilitrak be able to intervene successfully given a much looser car vs original design point.

My 2 highly unscientific cents worth of an amateur opinion
As one amateur to another this all makes sense to me.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic