Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #29
DjsBadger

Drives: Krypton Green Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
The SS Coupe definitely has a governor at 180, I've read the stock tune. As I also mentioned, not sure it actually goes that fast. Just pointing out that their claim exactly matches what the governor is set to.
I don’t know where you saw or read about this governor but feel free to share it. I pulled the numbers straight from the GM website,. Regarding whether the car has an electronic limiter, I find that unlikely since the 1LE top speed at 455 HP converts to the ZL1 top speed with 650HP. The lower HP engines also match. Top speed is reached in the maximum gear you can run while getting closest to the rpm at maximum hp. If you can’t reach the rpm at maximum HP, max speed is may be the next gear down.
DjsBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:29 AM   #30
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjsBadger View Post
I don’t know where you saw or read about this governor but feel free to share it. I pulled the numbers straight from the GM website,. Regarding whether the car has an electronic limiter, I find that unlikely since the 1LE top speed at 455 HP converts to the ZL1 top speed with 650HP. The lower HP engines also match. Top speed is reached in the maximum gear you can run while getting closest to the rpm at maximum hp. If you can’t reach the rpm at maximum HP, max speed is may be the next gear down.
The SS Coupe limiter has been discussed before. Below is a screenshot from a stock 2017 SS Coupe tune in the ECM. You can see that the limiter is set at 180. As I've said, I'm not sure the car actually runs into the limiter, just saying the limiter is there and it is exactly what GM lists as top speed of the SS Coupe.

Name:  stock_limiter.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  75.3 KB
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #31
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
The SS Coupe limiter has been discussed before. Below is a screenshot from a stock 2017 SS Coupe tune in the ECM. You can see that the limiter is set at 180. As I've said, I'm not sure the car actually runs into the limiter, just saying the limiter is there and it is exactly what GM lists as top speed of the SS Coupe.

Attachment 963858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjsBadger View Post
When you double speed, drag increases by 4X and required HP increases by 8X. From an earlier thread.
LS/LT: 149
V6 1LE: 155
SS Vert: 155
SS 1LE: 175
SS Coupe: 180
ZL1 Coupe: 198

The 1LE has more drag than the standard SS due to wider tires and probably more drag to generate some additional downforce. (or to negate lift)

My question now is, is the 1LE limited by aero or did they go in and lower the top speed limit by 5 mph in the programming?
And if they did lower the limit, why?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #32
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
My question now is, is the 1LE limited by aero or did they go in and lower the top speed limit by 5 mph in the programming?
I have not read a stock SS/1LE tune file. However the different tires on the 1LE could influence it's top speed in a couple of ways. One, they are wider and obviously will catch more air than the skinnier runflats do. Two, they are shorter, and if the tune has the same revs/mile for the speedometer as the ZL1 does (same number as basic SS), then the speedometer will read slightly higher than the regular SS does. If the speedo output is higher, a governor could be reached sooner. My observation of the stock SS speedometer at a measured speed in the upper 150s was that it read low by about 1mph. Another member ran a stock 1LE on a longer track and he reported about 2mph more on the speedometer than the 172 measured speed. Small difference but a difference nonetheless. That 1LE run was 2.7 miles of acceleration, so he was probably close to tapped out in the conditions.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #33
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
What kind of mods do you have ? And Was your speed gear limited/ aero or just ran out of room ? That’s a great speed , I thought the 1les were less aerodynamic than the regular ss cars
The SS 1LE is aero limited to 186 with computer limited removed per Al Op. I have CAI, e85 and tune only.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #34
SaphfireSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
1LE is aero limited to 186 and computer limited to 174 from the factory. Remove ecu limited and you should reach 186. Remember guys that the M6 has different gears than SS, different alignment and bigger wider tires. Which makes a big difference on top speed. In order to get over 200 in ZL1 they had to change alignment to 0 camber and 0 toe.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #35
SaphfireSS

1LE is a Track car. Not a top speed car. It does what it’s supposed to do extremely well.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #36
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
I have not read a stock SS/1LE tune file. However the different tires on the 1LE could influence it's top speed in a couple of ways. One, they are wider and obviously will catch more air than the skinnier runflats do. Two, they are shorter, and if the tune has the same revs/mile for the speedometer as the ZL1 does (same number as basic SS), then the speedometer will read slightly higher than the regular SS does. If the speedo output is higher, a governor could be reached sooner. My observation of the stock SS speedometer at a measured speed in the upper 150s was that it read low by about 1mph. Another member ran a stock 1LE on a longer track and he reported about 2mph more on the speedometer than the 172 measured speed. Small difference but a difference nonetheless. That 1LE run was 2.7 miles of acceleration, so he was probably close to tapped out in the conditions.
WHAT TRACK WAS THAT?!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #37
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
1LE is aero limited to 186 and computer limited to 174 from the factory. Remove ecu limited and you should reach 186. Remember guys that the M6 has different gears than SS, different alignment and bigger wider tires. Which makes a big difference on top speed. In order to get over 200 in ZL1 they had to change alignment to 0 camber and 0 toe.
Trans and rear gears are the same in the 6th gen SS 1LE's as the non 1LE SS. 5th gens had different axle ratios.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:18 AM   #38
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
WHAT TRACK WAS THAT?!
The track where he accelerated for 2.7mi was the former shuttle landing strip at Kennedy Space Center.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #39
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
I know this is an old thread.

Couldn't find the drag coefficient of the newer camaro models, but this list helps ballpark it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...ag_coefficient

It's probably around the 0.3 to 0.4 range.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote