Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #29
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I think a bold statement like that calls for a demonstration. Don't you think?

Tell me the location of this pic. Anybody. Taken with a Samsung phone. I deliberately left some exif data in there:

Actually imgur scrubs EXIF data upon upload. When I get home to my computer I’ll try and get the location where you took that pic, my iPhone is a bit limited lol.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #30
oilgear

Drives: Camaro ss, Cadillac, Kawasaki ZRX,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Attachment 961275

Why blur? Because the world is full of lunatics who are very clever at getting information surreptitiously. I know someone who received a death threat from a person in another state who didn’t like a humorous letter published in a national magazine.

I’ve also been contacted by someone who found me through my license plate, because a helpful county worker gave him my address. Legal or not, some people who are charged with protecting your information give it away just to be “helpful.”
I hope you got that "helpful county worker" fired!
oilgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #31
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:

Tell me the location of this pic. Anybody. Taken with a Samsung phone. I deliberately left some exif data in there:

Aruba, but im just guessing.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:45 PM   #32
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Aruba, but im just guessing.
No sir.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #33
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1961 View Post
I see this all the time both here and on lots of other sights. People post a picture of their car and they blank out the license plate number. What is the point of this? Your license plate number is visible all the time when your car is out of the garage, nothing underhanded could be done with it that I am aware of. Not putting anyone down that does this, just curious as to why people do it.

To the OP.

Show us your Camaro with the license plates showing.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #34
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Because I enjoy using the eraser in MS Paint.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #35
kaz1961

Drives: 2018 RS
Quote:

I have it narrowed down to somewhere in Kansas. Need more time to get the exact location.
kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #36
torqueaddict

^^lol, the location info was stripped from the pic and it's really easy to do in windows (right click .jpg > details > remove properties and personal information).

As I posted already, disable geo / location tagging on your cell phone, and the GPS co-ordinates will not be embedded.

So no, unless someone proves otherwise, you CANNOT get location data that was stripped or never embedded in a photo.

I posted this to clear up some obvious misinformation here.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #37
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
I see nothing wrong with either way, blocking it or showing it. You see everyone's plates driving around all day, walking in parking lots, etc.

I don't see anyone blocking them while they are driving around...

If anything, you want to know what's worse than someone covering their plate?

USING THEIR FINGER TO BLOCK IT WHILE TAKING A PICTURE FROM A CELLPHONE FOR A FOR SALE AD!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #38
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
I have it narrowed down to somewhere in Kansas. Need more time to get the exact location.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #39
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
I got a new Tampa Bay Buccaneers plate and I want to blur it out in real life because they suck.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCobalt View Post
I got a new Tampa Bay Buccaneers plate and I want to blur it out in real life because they suck.
best post in this tread.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #41
torqueaddict

Quote:
I did not ask this question as a put down to anyone who blocks out their plates, if that makes you feel more comfortable than do it. I was just wondering what the reasoning was behind it. Havent seen anything in this thread that makes me think it is necessary so heres your picture.
The simple reason is, you can be found / identified. If that doesn't concern you, then carry on. But if it does, posting your plate isn't a good idea.

Photo exif data is easy to remove, but for someone clueless about it, it's an obvious give away. But in cases when it's not there, perseverance can pay off.

Some people use their forum handle everywhere. With a simple google search, you can glean a lot of info about them from that handle if they tend to use it over and over. While they may not post their exact city in one forum, they'll post it in another. They may even post their real first name in some cases. They may post in Instagram, Facebook or describe their interests elsewhere. From that, you can often narrow their location down.

Now you've given them another clue by posting your plate. So a little perseverance and you can be found much easier.

If you don't care, like some others on here, that's one thing, but if you think you're safe because no one can look up a plate, you are mistaken.

Yes, you drive around with your plate in plain view, but besides that, you're anonymous and not under scrutiny unless you do something really dumb on the road. Also, how many people pay attention to your plate, or even see your car everyday while you're driving about?

In a social media setting online, things are different. You become more interactive, and based on what you say, you are under the magnifying glass more so than just driving around. And you're also in view of a whole lot more people. They pay more attention to you and your views. It's now much easier to become a target than just driving around.

It's a different situation.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 10-20-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #42
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
People are way too free with personal info online. I just search a license plate and within a few minutes got their profile for a forum they posted the back of their car online, the user name, to there sites they frequent, which they link their Facebook profile, their full name and hometown, their wife's name, pictures of their house and kids, their age, and for 1.99 I could skip more searching and get their address and phone number to easy way.

And like Glen said, if they just geotagging, that saves a whole lot of trouble.

Some People suck, the depravity of humans know no bounds. Just read about the Twitch streamer that got killed in a SWAT.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 10-20-2018 at 05:47 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote