#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Project: South Pacific Thunder

Probably gonna be my first journal with any car. I usually just keep a collection of saved posts for mods, but figured, I'll give it a try.

This is my 4th US bought car on my own. Wasn't born here, but love the cars here.

Started off in a J-body with a 99 cavalier, then went to a 07 Charger SXT, then to a 13 Camaro 2LS and now a 16 Camaro 1LT.

I'm cool with drag racing and Mexicos, even though I've never been... but Road Racing, LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, Spa, Nurburgring and any kinda of suspension tuning...vs....dynos and big numbers....that's my heart when it comes to cars. Growing up around the Nurburgring, in Wiesbaden-Hessen, and Zweibrucken for the first 8 years of life, solidified road racing for me....my way of modding a car is prob more Euro based, than US. Power doesn't mean much if you aren't applying it to the ground effectively. everyone asks "why didn't you do a V8...honestly I didn't really care to. the money I could have spent on one, I've happily spent at the buffet What else would ya expect from a 400lb Samoan?!

So this build, is mostly for:
-Daily driving first (Get to work ON TIME)
-Road trips as a professional wrestler 2nd (Comfort)
-and when I do have time...AutoX and Track Days.

I'll go to any drag track with friends and fam. not really good at it, even though reaction times are ok (prob from 16 years of d-line playing football) but I usually only go after the end of the SCCA season, when other guys bring out the ZL1's and stuff.

Starting point. hated to get rid of the 2013 but sacrifices must be made. got it at 31,000 miles, and worked it up to 102,000 miles in exactly 2 years of ownership.

I found a photographer who did action shots, got a few in.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 01-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse

Future Main Goals: basically build something along the lines of a 1LE, just personalized.

Suspension: BMR Arms, GM front Arms, Wildwood Brakes, Bushing upgrades.
Aero: Gm Blade spoiler, 6LE Designs wickerbill, Front Splitter, possible side skirts.
Performance: AFE Momentum GT, V-Maxx Ported TB, Borla S-Type Axle Backs.
Safety: Gen5Diy HID/LED Lighting Upgrades F&R.

Thanks to Ofer & Jarod, I got one of the first sets of the HID conversions. the front took 3 different harnesses, and the rear took two, but between Jarod & Ofer QUICKLY getting back to me when one didn't work, and sending out the harnesses in ungodly quick timing. they swiftly solved all the lighting issues I had and produced a solid product. Customer Service was a dream with Gen5Diy.com Installed: June 11th 2016 (Headlights) July 11th 2016 (Tail lights)

GM blade spoiler, easy install. no fears of drilling my trunk. just measure, punch and drill. Installed: May 21st 2016

After the blade, it wasn't high as I expected. rather than deal with fiberglass, I opted to go with 6LE Designs prototype and help test fit the wickerbill for the GM Blade. Mark and Gil are two great guys to work with. For those that will ask, I don't like the end pieces on the spoilers. I didn't wanna drill on the 2013 with the GM blade, and I didn't feel the use of industrial glue on the 1/4's of the new gen was worth it. plus I simple like the look of JUST/ONLY the center section. The clear, was the two test fit pieces, the dark was the final install. Installed: October 9th - November 18th 2016 (2 Prototype fitments + Final)

Final

V-Maxx Ported TB went in a while ago....and then later followed up with the AFE Momentum GT. I know many don't like the name
but I don't get lost in the minor details. both are welcome addition mods that will give the car some pep. these are basic Bolton mods.
NOT high power mods. these create more an efficiency that was lost in the "softening" of the performance for the avg person to buy the car. Installed: June 29th 2016 (Vmaxx TB) October 31st 2016 (AFE Intake)

BMR Upper/Lower Trailing and Upper Control Arms. Easily the smartest thing I've done for the suspension so far. the lack of flex can be felt. granted its not so much of the arms, but the rubber bushings in the stock arms are noticeably soft. especially on an autoX course in the summer heat. When on the gas hard, you have a bit more confidence when the car steps out a bit or gets a lil squirrely. this can be done at home. I got one done...as in literally one arm one, and it got too late, but that weekend 2 days later, I did the other 5 arms. just take your time and have a pry bar handy. Installed Nov 10th 2016 (1 single arm) and Nov 12th 2016 (Other 5 arms)

Way back I did a catch can. no one made a kit for the V6, not sure if there really is a legit kit yet, or just companies that piece together parts.
but I went with a Mishimoto Universal Compact can. did my own plumbing, and a few others did as well.

Initial Setup http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=69

First Capture http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=90

Not NEARLY as much as the 5th gen LFX would collect. Good job GM! I still use the CRC direct injection cleaner periodically though.

Borla, Borla, Borla. so this time around, first time ever on a car, instead of MagnaFlow, I used Borla. Team Corvette and talking to Dan Binks when they did a local Race opened me up to it. Went with the S-type. Performance wise, I am thouroughly impressed. Likewise with the sound and MPG increase. our stock "tank mufflers" are restrictive. in the sense that it quiets things down by allowing air to expand, and cool off. Great easy, cheap method for sound control, not the best for performance. this was the only mod changed on two track days with similar conditions. removing 200lbs may have netted me about 2 tenths, but going from 14.1-14.3 consistently over 10 runs, and then running consistent 13.5-13.7's. That's enough proof for me in real world conditions on gains netted with the Axlebacks. not just a sound mod. But then again, most don't run their cars or do much performance driving. Thanx to Ricardo @ Phastek for helping me here. Installed: Dec 2nd 2016

1LE Grille Upgrade. I went with this mainly for the performance. Watching a "how its made, supercars" show on Velocity. they spoke of how the new grille on the 1LE models actually speed up air passing through. The GM crew also touched on that fact at SEMA. don't know how or what they did, but compared to the stock grille, it def does offer more cooling, and at a quicker pace. In the hour drive home from work, temps are roughly 5-15 degrees cooler on both oil and trans temp in traffic. trans was my main reason, second was looks. It will prolong me wanting to upgrade to an external cooler, or retrofitting the HD cooling package. Never really been big on too many appearance mods, but i'll drill a hole or cut a hole in a hood in a heartbeat if I know its a FUNCTIONAL mod. Also, with the side plates attached, i can also remove them, to allow for the brake ducts I have sitting here from an SS to allow for extra air flow. Installed: Nov 25th 2016

What else does a Big Samoan do when he's in a lil car? Did a level 1 driving school this past summer to learn more about the car. closed course and speeds were barely over 40-60mph for most. but you learn car control, and in a days worth of time, I found that 4-5K in suspension mods on the 5th gen....the 6th gen was already in the lead. Both performance wise and comfort.

But now since its winter, you gotta wear the proper shoes. I don't believe in "babying a car". the best line I've heard from one of the older gear heads was....

"Hey big fella, you don't stop having pokey-pokey time with your woman, cause you are saving miles on her for the next guy, right? so why treat your car that way? Enjoy it while you and it are together"

Don't need a bag of hammers to nail that concept. So with the snow and ice, daily driven, be on the safe side...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 01-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Subscribed

Best friend is Samoan and Filipino

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Parker View Post
Subscribed

Best friend is Samoan and Filipino
appreciated! my cuzzie, that's done all my ink, is the same. were both near 400, but I'm 6'2, hes about 5'8.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Extreme Dimensions

Drives: 2016 1ss Camaro
i said it before and ill say it again i still wanna see a pic of you in your cavalier lol
1-714-278-8000 EXT 17
andrew.bettridge@extremedimensions.com
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
i said it before and ill say it again i still wanna see a pic of you in your cavalier lol
Check pm

So finally got a template to see if the Wilwood system will fit.

Also have a bmr rear sway bar coming and actually FOUND these at home. Forgot I ordered the front cradle braces.

Sooooo many goals to do this winter!
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse

Still haven't added the braces, but finally got the BMR Adjustable Swaybars in, and the ELK016 front endlinks.

Haven't measured the stock ones. will probably get to that this weekend, when they go to storage, but visually you can tell a difference by far. and yes it clears the steering rack precisely!!! Some bars are said not to fit the V6, such as when I looked into the Stranoparts front bar.

The setting with both currently (front and rear) set at medium/middle hole. cornering is amazing! still on snow tires in the rear, but it really grips the turns in comparison to stock. flat out, and I still have an adjustment stiffer to go to if need be in the front and rear. also one step lighter.

The endlinks of the LT model cars are in fact made of "plastic" as some would put it, but its prob more of a composite style plastic. Had a mishap installing the front bar, and it led to the Driver side endlink having the ball joint popped out. we got it back in, but for safer measures, I overnighted a Moog SS endlink, which is compatible with the SS link. just a bit stronger as its made of steel, and the ball joints are prob a higher grade. Added a pic of all 3.

At the same time I overnighted the moog from RockAuto, I already had a BMR set of ELK016 on its way from BMR, which they helped out BIG TIME by sending it priority mail. got here in 2 days, THANK YOU BMR!

Also got around to measuring out the Wilwood 6 piston brake template and seeing if it fits the stock LT wheels. no such luck. Researching I found they fit the 4 piston calipers easy. but 6... working on that. Planning to buy some Apex Wheels next week. I've been talking to one of their reps named Ryan, and they are planning some big things for CAMARO SPECIFIC wheels this year, so stay tuned!

hopefully in a few days, i'll have some 18x9 wheels for daily driving duty from them. Still have plans to do an MRR FS01 in the future. once I get a set of daily wheels, i'll even look into HRE or Forgeline.

and to top it off, I did the most underhood appearance mods in the last decade today.....

adopting a new saying..... #MinimalMods

Old 04-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Finally got around to wheels. and wheels that are 18 that will fit 6 piston brakes! Still running the stock 245-55-18 tire size. theres even enough sidewall to protect the wheel edge. hate seeing all the cars with the "i was too cheap to get the right tire size so It looks stretched" look.

The stock 18's were partially surprisingly heavy at 24.4lbs. I've seen some Rotrary Forged 19's under that. but considering they ARE cast, its understandable for the strength aspect.

The Apex Ps-7 in 18x9 & 31et give me a slightly wider width, only lose 5mm inside and 7mm extension. These are for daily driver duties. they may see an autoX event or a few, but I have plans for track specific wheels to come later. These weighed in at 21.6lbs in this width and diameter.

2.8lbs per wheel savings!

while I had things off, also checked the weights of the stock lugs, vs the Gorilla offerings. 4 lugs & 1 lock vs oem counterparts of the same.

Stock is 12 and 3/4 oz ------------> Gorilla chimes in at 7 and 1/4 oz.

Savings of 5.5oz per wheel. along with the 2.8lb wheel saving. that's over 3lbs of unsprung weight removed per corner.

Overall, I would have tried the Anthracite version as far as color goes. but these were in stock and they are for function more than form. needed something for the planned brake upgrade.

from the wildwood template, I have a smidgen of room.

still pluggin away....

Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Finally got around to wheels. and wheels that are 18 that will fit 6 piston brakes! Still running the stock 245-55-18 tire size. theres even enough sidewall to protect the wheel edge. hate seeing all the cars with the "i was too cheap to get the right tire size so It looks stretched" look.

The stock 18's were partially surprisingly heavy at 24.4lbs. I've seen some Rotrary Forged 19's under that. but considering they ARE cast, its understandable for the strength aspect.

The Apex Ps-7 in 18x9 & 31et give me a slightly wider width, only lose 5mm inside and 7mm extension. These are for daily driver duties. they may see an autoX event or a few, but I have plans for track specific wheels to come later. These weighed in at 21.6lbs in this width and diameter.

2.8lbs per wheel savings!

while I had things off, also checked the weights of the stock lugs, vs the Gorilla offerings. 4 lugs & 1 lock vs oem counterparts of the same.

Stock is 12 and 3/4 oz ------------> Gorilla chimes in at 7 and 1/4 oz.

Savings of 5.5oz per wheel. along with the 2.8lb wheel saving. that's over 3lbs of unsprung weight removed per corner.

Overall, I would have tried the Anthracite version as far as color goes. but these were in stock and they are for function more than form. needed something for the planned brake upgrade.

from the wildwood template, I have a smidgen of room.

still pluggin away....
Looking forward to seeing those wilwood 6pots mounted up!
Are the BMR sway bars hollow?
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Looking forward to seeing those wilwood 6pots mounted up!
Are the BMR sway bars hollow?
same here!

wanna hear the worst part. I haven't pulled the trigger cause I cant decide on a color. soooo close to just getting black. right now the limerock green, a blue or a purple has been slowing me down.

and yes, the BMR's front and rear are hollow. I got the redesigned, BMR rear endlinks to install, but haven't been motivated to do so just yet

Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #11
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
same here!

wanna hear the worst part. I haven't pulled the trigger cause I cant decide on a color. soooo close to just getting black. right now the limerock green, a blue or a purple has been slowing me down.

and yes, the BMR's front and rear are hollow. I got the redesigned, BMR rear endlinks to install, but haven't been motivated to do so just yet

Go with the blue. It'll match your car and look very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
Go with the blue. It'll match your car and look very nice

http://wilwood.com/Calipers/ColoredCalipers.aspx <-----heres my dilemma....

theres 3 blues, 3 greens, 2 purples.

its been so frustrating, I've even contemplated just getting a set of the SS calipers for the time being and I can paint and repaint em any color I want whenever I needed.

the wilwoods, are def an investment being powdercoated. and painting em is a decent task to accomplish.

These were the last set, I sold, but should have kept... http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...05&postcount=8

how are yours holding up?

if theres a good amount of pad choices, i'd prob end up getting em by this weekend...

Old 04-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
AlphaCamaro7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, NPP, A8, FBO, E85
Quote:
http://wilwood.com/Calipers/ColoredCalipers.aspx <-----heres my dilemma....

theres 3 blues, 3 greens, 2 purples.

its been so frustrating, I've even contemplated just getting a set of the SS calipers for the time being and I can paint and repaint em any color I want whenever I needed.

the wilwoods, are def an investment being powdercoated. and painting em is a decent task to accomplish.

how are yours holding up?

if theres a good amount of pad choices, i'd prob end up getting em by this weekend...

I'd go with the darkest blue. That's the one that matches yours. Mines are holding up great. Still looks new and totally worth the money. They're both great for a term investment. It's just up to you if you want the 4 pot or 6 pot.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #14
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
same here!

...that limerock green would look just mental behind those rims
One other question Powerhouse: are the stock sway bars solid?
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote