Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
I believe the idea of NLS is to maintain power throughout the change. Videos of people using it on youtube often include hurried shifts. To me, I would imagine a hurried 3>4 shift that accidentally grabs second or maybe 4>5 shift that accidentally grabs third is possible. Thus my belief NLS may heighten the chance.

Then again, this is my first car with NLS so I have no real world experience here. I could be completely wrong.
But you can shift just as fast on a normal shift. The only difference here is that you are leaving your gas pedal floored when shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
NLS is a gimmick at best...The ECU reduces torque on the NLS to reduce drive train stress. Yes your manual has torque management...it's not like the old days.
It just removes a variable on NA cars, just so you don't have that variation from when your right foot gets back onto the gas pedal during a normal shift.

On the 2.0T models, however, NLS can actually improve performance as you don't lose any turbo boost with NLS, while normal shifts will make you lose boost and you will have to build it up again.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i have noticed first hand how much smoother the car is using the NLS feature. there is a seamless gear change (inside the car) that sounds like an auto (outside the car) if done correctly.

as jinx mentioned, it removes a variable (and consequently some amount of responsibility) from the shift. if used correctly, i think the the nls feature is highly advantageous.

one thing i've noticed: by the time my car hit 10k miles the shifter had a noticeable sloppiness to it. in neutral it will flop around like ron jeremys pp on a nude skydive. now at 24k miles it is laughable and becoming a problem. i haven't had the shifter out yet, but i think the circled part is the issue. appears to be a nylon collar of sorts? or its grease and the problem is further down...? mine is either broken or very worn out, directly stemming from gear banging.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
But you can shift just as fast on a normal shift. The only difference here is that you are leaving your gas pedal floored when shifting.

It just removes a variable on NA cars, just so you don't have that variation from when your right foot gets back onto the gas pedal during a normal shift.

On the 2.0T models, however, NLS can actually improve performance as you don't lose any turbo boost with NLS, while normal shifts will make you lose boost and you will have to build it up again.

Sent from toaster or something
I have used NLS when I drove my brothers C7Z but yea I can see that for sure on a small displacement turbo car.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #18
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
It looks like in hpt you can pick throttle or timing cut during the nls. I’ve toyed with it a bit but does anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #19
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i have noticed first hand how much smoother the car is using the NLS feature. there is a seamless gear change (inside the car) that sounds like an auto (outside the car) if done correctly.

as jinx mentioned, it removes a variable (and consequently some amount of responsibility) from the shift. if used correctly, i think the the nls feature is highly advantageous.

one thing i've noticed: by the time my car hit 10k miles the shifter had a noticeable sloppiness to it. in neutral it will flop around like ron jeremys pp on a nude skydive. now at 24k miles it is laughable and becoming a problem. i haven't had the shifter out yet, but i think the circled part is the issue. appears to be a nylon collar of sorts? or its grease and the problem is further down...? mine is either broken or very worn out, directly stemming from gear banging.
As you prob know the hurst is available and is way more sturdy that the std SS shifter dunno about 1LE hardware. I’m running the ball bc I like the look but felt better with the oe knob on the hurst. My $0.02
Old 12-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #20
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
As you prob know the hurst is available and is way more sturdy that the std SS shifter dunno about 1LE hardware. I’m running the ball bc I like the look but felt better with the oe knob on the hurst. My $0.02
yes, i have been looking at them. i want an oem look inside, hoping the stock knob will work. i tried a hurst that is in a friends 1LE car. i didn't like it. but then again the shifter prob had <1k miles on it at the time.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #21
Dilsher6gen

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I went from third to second today by accident while NLS'ing..........was wide open throttle don't know how it went into second, probably my hand placement might have been pulling the shifter towards me. Scared tf out of me but the car was fine. Engine rev'd up to red line and I hit the brakes right away. Shifting felt normal after. Rowed thru all gears no issues downshifts were fine too. No overheat as well. Got really lucky I feel. Is there some sort of safety net that prevents "money shift"?
Dilsher6gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:36 AM   #22
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilsher6gen View Post
I went from third to second today by accident while NLS'ing..........was wide open throttle don't know how it went into second, probably my hand placement might have been pulling the shifter towards me. Scared tf out of me but the car was fine. Engine rev'd up to red line and I hit the brakes right away. Shifting felt normal after. Rowed thru all gears no issues downshifts were fine too. No overheat as well. Got really lucky I feel. Is there some sort of safety net that prevents "money shift"?
The car will only hit the rev limiter on a up shift and that is safe. Supposedly if you miss shift or down shift in too low a gear you can over rev the car and the rev limiter won’t work.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:53 AM   #23
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Once you're in the undesired lower gear and the clutch engages, physics don't allow for 100% protection against such money (down)shifts, the engine will almost immediately overrev and no spark/fuel/throttle cut (limiter) can prevent it. You did the best you could by braking, and the engine will survive a slight overrev for a short while, you probably got lucky.

I think what could be done is a dynamic mechanical gear lockout system that engages based on current rpm+gear, and prevents you from slamming the shifter into any lower gear that would breach the limiter, but AFAIK nobody has come up with that yet.

Not sure it would improve the overall shift experience either... after all, people complain all the time about that one single 1>4 lockout the Camaro has, saying its presence can be felt on the 1>2 shift all the time, even when they give the car enough throttle.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:59 AM   #24
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Is there some sort of safety net that prevents "money shift"?
Not really - at least nothing I know about. I call a money shift a mechanical over rev. In your case when you down shifted to second gear from the red line limit of third gear you mechanically linked the second gear ratio to the engine crankshaft and the result was an over rev. The rev limiter can't help that situation as electronically cutting the fuel flow/ignition timing can't stop the effect of that mechanical connection.

The only prevention is proper shifting technique through hand placement on the shifter for that shift.

Good luck and best wishes that the over rev was not severe enough to cause damage.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #25
Dilsher6gen

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Yeah I guess I got lucky. I'll keep an eye out for anything that feels off next time driving it. I still have warranty until May 2023.
Dilsher6gen is offline   Reply With Quote