Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #15
DexnBlair

Drives: '16 Camaro RS 2.0T A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TA - The Beast View Post
DexnBlair, actually Mishimoto only shows one for the 2.0T engine. The other that comes up is for the SS.

The one from Mishimoto for the 2.0T is a dual catch can setup, one for the PCV side, the other for the CCV side.

I have the same setup for the Cadillac variation.
Ah, got you. Thanks.
DexnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Technically… you can buy the PCV & CCV sides separately. Generally, the PCV (motor side) produces the most oil blow by and is more important one to get. A lot of people, including myself get hardly any oil blow by from the CCV side (air intake tube). It actually depends on your individual motor, climate conditions and driving style how much blow by you pick up from either side. I got the whole kit (both sides) just for piece of mind.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
i4heavychevy

Drives: 2019 2.0 camaro
hope this helps

I have the following and can speak for just these items.

K&n intake ( not drop in) it gives the car pretty nice turbo sounds. i had the Mishimoto intake and it was a little much on the sound and gave me some issues with idle. I think it was just a faulty MAF housing not the entire product

GO fast bits diverter valve: this was a great mod IMO i have a automatic and while climbing trough the gears it has a bunch of "boost Dump" with the stock BPV. this was a great mod because it reduced that boost dump and opened and closed faster to get back on boost when needed.

Mishimoto oil catch can full kit: for a direct injected car this is a must have. its a little pricy but it comes with a grade A warranty. i had a part fail and mishimoto sent the part out free of cost very fast.

Mishimoto Charge pipes (chrome): the stock charge pipes on the cold side are made of plastic and look as cheap as they feel. the hot side pipes seem to have some sort of resonator near the turbo, and are a little smaller diameter than the mishimoto charge pipes. not only did this add some style to my engine bay they seemed to free some stuff up for airflow.

Mishimoto Intercooler: the OEM intercooler is made of plastic/aluminum and feels like a old soda can and is very prone to HEAT SOAK. the mishimoto intercooler is awesome. on their website give a lot of detail on the product its self including a thermal heat camera showing how it reduces the heat soak. this product, like the OEM one is sandwiched between the AC and radiator but is superior to the oem intercooler. ZZP make a "true front mount" but i got the charge pipes from mishimoto first and went with their intercooler.

ZZP catted downpipe: this added a great tone to the stock exhaust and definitely freed up some things and spooled the turbo a little faster.

Rev 9 exhaust: the rev9 exhaust has quad tip like the mishimoto exhaust but for 360 not 750 something. practically identical in looks. it was however too loud for my liking and had way to much drone. it is a muffler delete and was paired with my zzp downpipe. i had a muffler shop weld a twister muffler on the mid pipe this added a nice deep tone and got rid of the raspy exhaust note at higher rpm.

Trifecta Advantage tune: this was added about a week ago. im about 50/50 if im happy with this tune or not. i contacted them trying to upgrade to the Elite to hopefully get a more in depth tune out of them but its a email tag with uncertainty in sight. this tune sometimes "feels" like it added power other times if feels like all it is was a rev limiter increase and a throttle controller. i would like to think that it did increase the power but i guess i expected much more after installing all the parts above before tuning. only time will tell if i get a better tune from them.

you can find lots of parts from Phastek Performance. they have fast shipping and great customer service.
i4heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #18
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Heavy, did you buy your car new? just wondering if you are certain it wasn't tuned before, most people report good results with Trifecta. Especially with your mods, you should notice it. The mods alone don't unlock the power, you need the tune to make use of the air flow anyways so it should have been even more of an increase everywhere. Good that you did all the mechanicals first though. Are you A8? Trans tune also adds a lot to the performance.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #19
i4heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Heavy, did you buy your car new? just wondering if you are certain it wasn't tuned before, most people report good results with Trifecta. Especially with your mods, you should notice it. The mods alone don't unlock the power, you need the tune to make use of the air flow anyways so it should have been even more of an increase everywhere. Good that you did all the mechanicals first though. Are you A8? Trans tune also adds a lot to the performance.
Yes i got the car brand new, it will be 1 year on black friday that ive owned her. and she is a automatic8 i mean don't get me wrong I "think" i feel a difference but its nothing compared to what I should be. there are times when i hit the throttle and i seem to have the same power as i did before the tune only difference is the throttle response is faster. it nearly seems like i have a throttle control and thats it. other times it seems to have more power. I reached out to them to try and get a Elite package to possibly run some data logs and fine tune it to get more out of my mods. but the guy acts like he doesn't want to sell the damn thing. another strange thing the other day i turned off stabilia track and traction control and when i mashed the gas it acted more sluggish like she didnt want to go anywhere. maybe im just screwing with my mind or i guess i set my bar too high.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #20
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
i4heavychevy, I also bought the Advantage tune, but I have not loaded yet.

But! A buddy of mine has an almost identical CTS4 with darn near the same mileage. Our cars are almost exactly the same (mine actually seems faster though, stock), and I convinced him to order up a Trifecta Advantage tune as well and he loaded his (his is out of warranty, mine is not, I am waiting until the warranty is up).

I spent a good few days driving and being a passenger in his car (more driving though than passengering) and I can say the tune is amazingly deceptive, but it does add quite a bit of power.

The key is they change the way the boost is used. There is a LOT less downshifting everywhere. I mean, if you are doing 72mph and you floor the car it doesn't downshift, not in any mode, it just pours on the boost and you are gone. It honestly feels more like an electric car than anything else, since the rpms go up very slowly, but the MPH increases really fast!

Down low, say low speed and light throttle it is quite twitchy in regards to throttle response. I mean a very little throttle and it just jumps. Takes a bit to get used to.

Also, it seems as if when you are off-throttle at speed there is a LOT less engine drag. Almost like you NEED to use the brakes to trigger it to start slowing down (taking an off ramp at 75mph right by my house I noticed it was 75mph at the start of the exit and when I had to mash the brakes for the stop sign at the end of the ramp I was still doing 72mph, where-as before the tune it would drop into the 40-50mph range within the same ramp distance).

I have no doubt they increased MPG fuel efficiency with such changes. Just very strange since it doesn't feel "normal" anymore. Before the tune the car felt like just about every other car in regards to downshifting when you floor it, engine drag when you totally let off the throttle, and all around driveability. With the Trifecta Advantage tune ALL of that is changed and does take some getting used to.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #21
95TA - The Beast

Oh, also, with your mods, you don't need the Elite package. I can see why he was hesitant to sell it to you since there is nothing more to gain. Once you go with a bigger turbo, then an in-depth detail tune will change things, but until then you are talking very small changes and nothing worth the time, or effort on their part to get "right".

The Advantage is the "canned package" for almost stock setups. That is what you have regardless of the "mods" you installed, you are still stuck with the stock turbo.

Everything else you added will make small 1%-2% changes, at MOST. I mean heat soak in the intercooler is a non-issue at highway speeds, so a larger intercooler isn't even needed (and the charge pipes do nothing on a boosted car but look bling, just like a larger throttlebody does nothing on a boosted car as well). Cold-Air intakes do nothing over a stock filter setup with a K&N filter in it. Any of the exhaust changes you made are for your aural enhancement (they sound better to you) than any sort of performance improvement (and I know a lot of people will argue, but it is just fact, the stock catted downpipe isn't restrictive, neither is the stock exhaust).

All of this comes down to air pressure flow dynamics... If you do the math (I have been engineering boosted setups for over 23 years) it will show where there is a restriction and at what kind of pressure level (airflow volume) it will happen for a given set of parts that make up the stock turbo system. The math shows that even with a reasonable turbo upgrade (say the ZZP Big Wheel Turbo) there is less than 2-3% to be gained total with any of those other mods (catted downpipes, exhaust, charge pipes, intercooler) and nothing to be gained with a different cold air setup.

A good tune with a turbo upgrade and you will notice a big difference. I am shocked you don't see a difference with the Advantage tune. Again I think it just changed things everywhere so much it is hard to do a Apples to Apples comparison.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #22
95TA - The Beast

Also, doesn't anyone think that ALL of these places selling charge tube setups are all INSANE!??!?!

I mean you are talking some bent pipes and some connectors. THAT IS IT! And they want $500 for them?!?!?!?

Talk about outright robbery!

Same thing with a lot of modern exhausts... That stuff has gone stupid crazy. Thank goodness the factory setups are not restrictive at all.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #23
i4heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TA - The Beast View Post
Oh, also, with your mods, you don't need the Elite package. I can see why he was hesitant to sell it to you since there is nothing more to gain. Once you go with a bigger turbo, then an in-depth detail tune will change things, but until then you are talking very small changes and nothing worth the time, or effort on their part to get "right".

The Advantage is the "canned package" for almost stock setups. That is what you have regardless of the "mods" you installed, you are still stuck with the stock turbo.

Everything else you added will make small 1%-2% changes, at MOST. I mean heat soak in the intercooler is a non-issue at highway speeds, so a larger intercooler isn't even needed (and the charge pipes do nothing on a boosted car but look bling, just like a larger throttlebody does nothing on a boosted car as well). Cold-Air intakes do nothing over a stock filter setup with a K&N filter in it. Any of the exhaust changes you made are for your aural enhancement (they sound better to you) than any sort of performance improvement (and I know a lot of people will argue, but it is just fact, the stock catted downpipe isn't restrictive, neither is the stock exhaust).

All of this comes down to air pressure flow dynamics... If you do the math (I have been engineering boosted setups for over 23 years) it will show where there is a restriction and at what kind of pressure level (airflow volume) it will happen for a given set of parts that make up the stock turbo system. The math shows that even with a reasonable turbo upgrade (say the ZZP Big Wheel Turbo) there is less than 2-3% to be gained total with any of those other mods (catted downpipes, exhaust, charge pipes, intercooler) and nothing to be gained with a different cold air setup.

A good tune with a turbo upgrade and you will notice a big difference. I am shocked you don't see a difference with the Advantage tune. Again I think it just changed things everywhere so much it is hard to do a Apples to Apples comparison.
Ok, fair enough. I guess Ill just rock with what I got. Even if I upgraded my turbo I’d have to go with a different tuner entirely, when I asked if they can adjust the tune for larger turbos their response was “we don’t offer tuning for larger turbos at this time” so then what is the point of the Elite tune?
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #24
wookwook

basically yes and yes. sums up what we've been saying on here for years. The breathing bits do add up, and seem to combine for good increases on the camaro but not like 5 tenths worth, more like with the small turbo its better grunt and feel - let me be more precise, measurable under the curve power. on this setup the power bands squash out the sides with bolt ons, but to increase the peak you need to unrestrict the torque tables with a tune. and the turbo is going to be the variable there in the peaks.

So when you load and unload the tune side by side, its barely different? are you sure the tune is loading? I wonder how much heavier the cts is? Yeah, you may be over expecting a bit. What will get you over the top is a combination of turbo increase, E85 and/or MW kit.

I don't know why the MW hasn't caught on. I just tapped my washer tank and run it for dual uses, and it does windows. I just hit the pallet of yummy Go juice (washer fluid) at Home depot for 8 bucks for case, its good for the summer. Yes it works and requires nothing more than filling the tank every couple weeks. Any of those alone will give you another, slighter increase, but in a combo is the real deal. As far as safety in a test with MW the most KR I saw was about 3 degrees, and I run my spark a little more aggressively but you can just leave spark advance alone. It doesn't add that much fuel and the trims seem to be just fine, but it increases octane. It suits the purpose of that extra added boost that just isn't available in any other mod. E85 has a huge gain if you can run it. but most people don't have pump access me included.

So the general theme is more boost and fueling for big gains.

I thought Start The Machine was tuned by Trifecta for a big turbo? I might be wrong. Vermont should hook you up, and there's a lot of good comments about an indy on here and facebook "Cooper" can do it. I do my own tuning but not really looking for clients.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106

Last edited by wookwook; 10-13-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #25
Start The Machine

I have documented my experiences with Trifecta on here every step of the way, starting with their "Advantage" emailed base tune all the way up to their in-house T40 Turbo upgrade. I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

*I'm local to their shop in Kirkland WA and did all of my tuning after the "Advantage" email tune on their in-house dyno.

I only had the "Advantage" email tune for a couple of months and remember it making a big difference. Needless to say, the "Elite" in-house dyno tune was a night and day difference even on the stock turbo.

Who are you working with over there? Maybe ask for my tune file (Ryan Cole from Gig Harbor 2016 manual 2.0T Camaro before the T-40 Turbo upgrade) Not sure if you having an automatic makes a difference with the file here? I think they tune the automatic transmission separately?? Idk..

Here are my numbers all dyno tested and measured at the wheels:
Stock - 220HP/240TQ
"Advantage" emailed canned tune - 264HP/287TQ (you should be close to these numbers now)
In-house "Elite" dyno tune - 284HP/311TQ
T40 Turbo w/in-house dyno tune - 337HP/385TQ
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 10-15-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #26
wookwook

++1

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 10-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #27
Start The Machine

Just to add some more detail and be a little more clear here...

Stock - 220HP/240TQ (FBO with no Recirculation Valve) Verifying 95TA - The Beast theory of all the mods in world don't do shit without a proper tune.

"Advantage" emailed canned tune - 264HP/287TQ (FBO with no Recirculation Valve) *you should be close to these numbers now. I know the automatic transmission looses a little more HP and TQ compared to a manual. I'm guessing you might be around 255/280?? Also, there is the theory of some cars being "hotter" than others from the factory I.E. some cars are faster than others.

In-house "Elite" dyno tune - 284HP/311TQ (FBO with Recirculation Valve)
T40 Turbo w/in-house dyno tune - 337HP/385TQ
Old 10-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #28
i4heavychevy

ok so i decided to flash back the stock tune, then reload the trifecta tune. must have been some type of error during the first upload (even though it said it was complete) so there is some gains now that I see. not sure what happened with the first upload. either way im going to run a data log and send it over to them to to make sure all is well on the tune. it does have gains. i noticed one thing that maybe you guys can help me with... this happens only some times not all the time......so when i come to a faster than normal stop it seems to not downshift fast enough. if i were to describe what happens i would say it stays in 3rd all the way down until it kinda bogs out at 500 rpm then suddenly downshifts into second or first and idels down normally after that. after the rpm "bounces off the 500 rpm marker it goes up to about 1100 and then idles out smoothly.

as for what i said about not feeling gains i retract those comments it was simply not loaded Properly. it does have noticeable gains but now has that one random shifting issue.

so to clear things up because maybe they didnt understand my question. trifecta can tune to a larger turbo?