#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
ZaxZL1

Drives: ZL1 1LE ON ORDER;S65;951 TRACKCAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I’m up in Canada so to test drive each one is near impossible. It’s really rare to see one. I’ll have to make a decision at some point. I prefer manual but that launch bog would bug me and I definitely wanna take it to both the drag strip and road course. Won’t be a DD that’s for sure.
worst case scenario, you could ask the dealer to take you out as a passenger. you will feel the ride quality and they can be comfortable that you aren't beating the car.
ZaxZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
If you have concerns about the ride (legitimate) and the bog (legitimate, but you can mod it away if so inclined) I think you'd be happier with the ZL1 A10, which is a great car.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
KCXLT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro 2018 Silverado 6.2
Quote:
There is a good chance I am going to be putting in an order for a new ZL1.
I’m concerned about the difference in the ride quality between the magnetic and the 1LE. Is the 1LE that harsh like has anybody driven both and can make a qualified judgement?
Also, will the 1LE wing and dive planes bolt up to the stock regular ZL1 without mods or are there other different body components like say the splitter or front grille?
I'm a couple of hours west of you. I placed an order the middle of September and am still waiting. The dealership, which I have a good relationship with says it won't show up until the spring. According to them, I believe he said Ontario, is only getting 25 cars. So if you want one you should find a dealer that has allocation, which is BS. They talk of Ford eating the Camaro's lunch and make it near impossible to get a car up in Canada.
KCXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #18
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
You want the best:
Take a std Zl1 A10 with it’s MRC
Add her the 1LE aero kit (wing, spoiler, canards...)
And you will have an automatic ZLE!
If you Track occasionally it’s perfect
If you Track more, you may consider suspensions and 19” tires...
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #19
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
There is a good chance I am going to be putting in an order for a new ZL1.
I’m concerned about the difference in the ride quality between the magnetic and the 1LE. Is the 1LE that harsh like has anybody driven both and can make a qualified judgement?
Also, will the 1LE wing and dive planes bolt up to the stock regular ZL1 without mods or are there other different body components like say the splitter or front grille?
You can do what I did and find a dealership that has all 3.
ZL1 w/ Manual
ZL1 w/ Auto
ZL1 1LE

I drove all three in that order. The following is my subjective opinion:

Having driven other automatics like the A8 in the Corvette, or twin clutch in the GT-R, I honestly did not find the A10 to be impressive enough to steer me away from a Manual. The A10 is excellent if you want to drive an automatic, it's still not competitive with non-torque-converter automatics if you want to flip paddles. It is noticeably better than the A8 and I found that to be an acceptable automatic for driving as an automatic.

As for ZL1 manual vs ZL1 1LE manual.

The ZL1 is very comfortable, especially considering how capable it is. It's also just as powerful and noisy as the ZL1 1LE in all the ways we love.

The ZL1 1LE is a bit lighter, but considerably more responsive to input IMO. It might just be the tires or maybe it's the DSSV or other tuning -- hard to say but I noticed it immediately. On the street you probably don't care but if you like that responsive feel, the ZL1 1LE has it. It doesn't get old for me and I daily drive mine.

If its the appearance you're after. You can entirely upgrade the ZL1 to appear the same as the ZL1 1LE but it will probably cost you close if not more $ to upgrade than it would to just buy the ZL1 1LE.

So the question really comes down to DSSV vs MagRide or bragging rights if that matters to you. The ZL1 1LE is actually a pretty smooth ride on a decent surface, except when you come across the pretty bad pot holes at speed then you really feel it (I personally find it a welcome trade for the responsiveness).

The message you'll get repeated across this forum from other ZL1 1LE owners is, if you don't intend to track the car more than a couple times a year then just get the ZL1.

My opinion is: If you're single, just get the ZL1 1LE. If you are married then make sure your partner is ok with the ride then get the ZL1 1LE (my wife hates it, my daughter loves it).

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Everyone with a stiff car always rationalizes the rides as being "ok for DD".

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Everyone with a stiff car always rationalizes the rides as being "ok for DD".
That's because we rationalized it before we bought it.
The OP asked for the difference in ride quality between the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE and I offered my view prefaced with: "my subjective opinion"

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:06 AM   #22
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
Its totally personal preference... the mag ride (son has an ss 1le) is just a but mushy in everything it does as compared to the zl1 1le. The brake bite is mushier upon initial application, the steering doesnt have the crisp feel... turn in isnt as precise. Every aspect is as if there is a slight bubble you have to get through...

That said, its still better than most other cars ive driven. In touring it is extremely forgiving like a comfy couch, and track certainly firms things up. But its no where near as sharp or entertaining as the zle.

Ive put around 3000 miles on my zle, most of it in los angeles stop and go traffic. It will get bouncy on our crappy freeways, but it is always sharp. The mag ride struck me as a luxury ride willing to put the work in when you wanted to play, but the zle is always begging to be pushed.

Another consideration; tires. I drove the car 40 miles on the stock goodyear 3r. They are very rough and tempermental when not up to tenp. On a 55 degree morning, it took almost 10 miles before they came up to temp. I have michelin pilot super sports (mpss) right now (cheaper then the 4s when i bought them). Massive improvement in overall feel and impression. For everyday commute/cruising the mpss dont seem to give anything up, but it takes just the smallest edge off the harshness the 3r has. Hard to put into words... i liked the car and wasnt super concerned about the ride, but the tire change made the car phenominal on the street. Having driven both cars, i would never want to go to mag ride.

To be fair... i had a 1991 mustang convertible with the ford racing road race lowering springs, and the bouncyness of the setup is similar while going over bumps... so im used to it, and enjoy it.
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote