#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R vs. Toyo R888R vs. Nitto NT01 > size 305 & 325/30R19

Hi guys,

I'm doing some research on which 19" tires I should purchase for my 2018 ZL1. I'm installing ZL1 1LE sized wheels > 19 X 11 and 19 X 12.

I want to make a well informed decision on which of these 3 tires will work the best for Time Attack, HPDE and Lapping sessions. I'm restricted to noting lower than 100 UTQG.

The only modifications to the car are top camber plates to allow aggressive alignment settings. The vehicle will be trailered to the track.

I'm interested in feedback based upon hands-on experience NOT simply opinion. The following factors interest me the most: lap time, heat cycling, and tread life.

I will be using the OE 20" with OE tires in the event of a wet track, so dry performance is what I'm interested.

I look forward to hearing from you track guys.

Thanks !
Tachitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Sorry, i don’t have hands on experience yet but i would still like to chime in. I just did a bunch of research on this and ended up going with NT01s. From the research I did they have quite good treadlife and will be pretty good until the cord. Supposedly they remain pretty consistent throughout their life in regards to heat cycles as well.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Tachitup

Hey Eric,

Thanks for chiming in. I've read lots of your posts and I appreciate your broad range of knowledge and experience. I too have used the NT-01's and concur with your comments. Let's see what others say in direct comparison to the new Goodyear F1 3R and Toyo R888R.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Just finished up a set of Eagle F1 Supercar 3R. I'm not sure how Time Attacks are performed in your area but be aware it takes a good 2 laps to get these tires warm. You'll be substantially slower than people on Cup2's or RE71R's for those two laps. However the Supercar 3R's do last the entire session without getting greasy once they're warmed up. I have a set of NT01's ordered and will try them next.
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
Tachitup

Thanks for the feedback.

Time Attacks here are usually 1 warmup lap, 3 individual timed laps, and a cool down lap. The day starts with 2 X 20 minute lapping sessions as well.

Track Days or HPDE events usually have about 6 X 20 minute sessions.

You mention that the Goodyear 3R's are slower than RE71R's and Sport Cup 2's until they warm, but what's their comparative performance like when they are warmed up?

Also how long or how many Time Attacks or Track Day is your season?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I just killed my first set of 3r's. I have not done back to back testing on the tires you mentioned. I will say that the 3R is one of the easiest to drive tires I have been on. Super forgiving at the limit and a big grip plateau.

My suspicion based on experience with other cars is that the Cup2 is ultimately faster when it is in its operating temp. range (i.e. for a few magical laps at the start of a session). But the 3R, once warm, is fast for as long as I had fuel.

I wish the Re71R came in a 325-19 for the back of the ZL1 1LE...

Really eager to see/hear what others think as we all try different tires.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
Hi guys,

I'm doing some research on which 19" tires I should purchase for my 2018 ZL1. I'm installing ZL1 1LE sized wheels > 19 X 11 and 19 X 12.

I want to make a well informed decision on which of these 3 tires will work the best for Time Attack, HPDE and Lapping sessions. I'm restricted to noting lower than 100 UTQG.

The only modifications to the car are top camber plates to allow aggressive alignment settings. The vehicle will be trailered to the track.

I'm interested in feedback based upon hands-on experience NOT simply opinion. The following factors interest me the most: lap time, heat cycling, and tread life.

I will be using the OE 20" with OE tires in the event of a wet track, so dry performance is what I'm interested.

I look forward to hearing from you track guys.

Thanks !
The 3Rs don't lose grip as they get hotter towards the end of a session. They offer incredible grip - all the time. Other than that - I haven't been able to quantify the benefits versus other tires.

I've decided to get another set next Spring...the cost is very reasonable, too.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
I just killed my first set of 3r's. ...
How many track days or sessions did your 3R's last?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Time Attacks here are usually 1 warmup lap, 3 individual timed laps, and a cool down lap. The day starts with 2 X 20 minute lapping sessions as well.

Track Days or HPDE events usually have about 6 X 20 minute sessions.

You mention that the Goodyear 3R's are slower than RE71R's and Sport Cup 2's until they warm, but what's their comparative performance like when they are warmed up?

Also how long or how many Time Attacks or Track Day is your season?
I run time trial only with one track organization, SpeedSF. I don't participate for the whole season, just do it when it's convenient, want an extra session or I want a trophy for the day lol. The time trial session is about 15-20 mins. You have to get your best time by the second or third lap or you'll catch up with the back of the pack so the 3R's are not ideal for this setup

Quote:

...... Super forgiving at the limit and a big grip plateau.

.......But the 3R, once warm, is fast for as long as I had fuel.

I wish the Re71R came in a 325-19 for the back of the ZL1 1LE...
I agree with the above. I'm with you on the RE71R coming in 325/19 size. Loved them on the GT4 and GT3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The 3Rs don't lose grip as they get hotter towards the end of a session. They offer incredible grip - all the time. Other than that - I haven't been able to quantify the benefits versus other tires.

I've decided to get another set next Spring...the cost is very reasonable, too.
I'm in complete agreement. My 3R's lasted only 2 track days though but I was running them on the street for about 1k miles with the track alignment. I think if I changed the camber plates between events. I would have gotten 3 days.
bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
I'm in complete agreement. My 3R's lasted only 2 track days though but I was running them on the street for about 1k miles with the track alignment. I think if I changed the camber plates between events. I would have gotten 3 days.
Not to turn this into a ZLE discussion - but I did the same thing for a total of about 900 miles of street driving with the track settings. That was a big mistake, I roasted the inside edges of the front tires!

But I got two track days, and about 4000 miles of street driving out of them. If I hadn't done what I did to the fronts, I could probably get at least another 3000 miles, or 2 track days. I'm pretty impressed overall.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Damn, two days and they're gone? That's awful. :(
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I got 5 hours of track time, 1500 miles, and 40 autocross runs before the inside edges on the front wore out. The rears are into the wear bars all the across. The inside edges of the fronts showed signs of overheating (blistering). I am assuming track use did them in.

I had the dealer set the alignment to the Chevy track alignment (ZL1 1LE specs) and all of the above was with this settings. It should have had a small amount of toe in in the front. When I checked the alignment with toe plates and camber gauge at home (after the fronts corded) I saw that the front end had significant toe out! Front camber, rear camber and toe were all the way they should have been. I reset the front toe to the smidge of toe in Chevy recommends.

My suspicion is the toe out did in my front tires. After adjusting the front toe I checked the tires with a probe style pyrometer at a recent track day. The inside edge temperatures were reasonable. Outer edges were a bit hotter. I have yet to measure how much the toe changes between street and track camber settings.

I am getting the alignment rechecked on a machine, and will check the toe change from switching between the settings on the camber plates. I will do some tire temperature testing.

I am now running the Michelin PS4S. I had some left over after One Lap and want to test the car on them. I do want to get back to the Goodyears though. It is a very likeable tire and I suspect when I get the alignment sorted they should be relatively durable. Or I hope they will be anyway.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I had the dealer set the alignment to the Chevy track alignment (ZL1 1LE specs) and all of the above was with this settings. It should have had a small amount of toe in in the front. When I checked the alignment with toe plates and camber gauge at home (after the fronts corded) I saw that the front end had significant toe out! Front camber, rear camber and toe were all the way they should have been. I reset the front toe to the smidge of toe in Chevy recommends.
They must have done your alignment with the plates on the street setting and then turned them to the track setting if you had a bunch of toe out. Like you mention toe out will kill the inside edge quick.

When I adjusted my camber plates my tow went from zero at my track setting to 3/16" in by reducing the camber plate by 1.5 degrees just as a reference point for you.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Keep in mind- if this was the only alignment you had done on your brand new Zl1-1LE, the alignment will walk considerably after your first time on track. Yes, the ZL1-1LE has a lot of metal/metal mounting and harder bushings...but ALL new cars alignments move around and take a set the first time they are driven on track. My SS 1LE's toe was completely jacked immediately after its first event, and we're planning on the ZL1-1LE needing another alignment after VIR this coming weekend. Camber will stay pretty stable, but toe will change significnatly... generally towards understeer.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19" track tires for zl1, goodyear f1 3r, nitto nt-01, toyo r888r