Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Kill Switch

Anyone installed one in their Camaro yet? Looking to do a fuel pump kill switch, possibly even a sequence of switches for the car to start. Anyone have any diagrams of the ignition system? Will be simple once I find the right wire

Here in the Bay Area Camaros are one of the most stolen cars...just watched a special and it got me spooked
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
ss_rob

Drives: SS
From what I've noticed most of the camaros that are stolen are last generation 5's. Wouldnt having OnStar deter these folks from wanting to steal the gen 6's? This is my first Camaro so I'm unsure if the gen 5 had the same OnStar capabilities as the current model.
ss_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
PackersFan26

Possibly. I would just like having the peace of mind that if all else failed, they still wouldn't be able to drive off with my car. But I guess once they are in they can pop the hood and it's game over.

I wouldn't want to completely rely on these fancy electronic systems. It all has a workaround some way or another.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
So what do you use for the switch on the new cars and how to hide? We have used the old floor board dimmer switch to interrupt circuits. Place under the carpet behind the brake pedal. No one sees you setting it to off. Not sure the late model circuitry will work with such.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
5th gen has same onstar capabilities.
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
GOOD thread... Question; many of us will not extend OnStar and only have the "basic" after the initial trial period. If the car is stolen with basic only, will OnStar cooperate with the location of the vehicle if stolen.

Many good places to hide a micro switch..
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
Anyone installed one in their Camaro yet? Looking to do a fuel pump kill switch, possibly even a sequence of switches for the car to start. Anyone have any diagrams of the ignition system? Will be simple once I find the right wire

Here in the Bay Area Camaros are one of the most stolen cars...just watched a special and it got me spooked
GO PACK GO!!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
PackersFan26

I'm thinking somewhere under the dash that you don't have to noticeably bend down and reach for. I would assume a lot of thieves know the go to spot for a kill switch is under the front lip of the seat

A simple switch inline of the fuel pump relay or fuse would work very nicely. You can even run a switch inline of the starter so the idiot doesn't kill your battery trying to turn her over. Plus I'm thinking a car constantly trying to turn over would attract a lot of attention...
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
PackersFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
GO PACK GO!!!!
Yessir!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSHYBOY View Post
GOOD thread... Question; many of us will not extend OnStar and only have the "basic" after the initial trial period. If the car is stolen with basic only, will OnStar cooperate with the location of the vehicle if stolen.

Many good places to hide a micro switch..
Don't hold your breath , the guys that where taking the fifth gen , are still out there , even though some where takin out of circulation .
But no , the groups that where taking the most cars , had some king a box that would unlock your car from the passages side , open the glove compartment , go around to the driver side , and take of with your car , it takes less that a minute
Keep in mind that the Onsatr module on the fift Gen is located right behind the inside of the glove compartment !
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
PackersFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
Don't hold your breath , the guys that where taking the fifth gen , are still out there , even though some where takin out of circulation .
But no , the groups that where taking the most cars , had some king a box that would unlock your car from the passages side , open the glove compartment , go around to the driver side , and take of with your car , it takes less that a minute
Keep in mind that the Onsatr module on the fift Gen is located right behind the inside of the glove compartment !
I wouldn't trust Onstar. Nothing beats a gool ol mechanical kill switch.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Install it inside the arm rest. I agree a good mechanical kill switch is a solid addition of security.

Plus you can pretend you're in NASCAR or own a vintage European car where you have to turn on the fuel pump switch before you start the car
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Install it inside the arm rest. I agree a good mechanical kill switch is a solid addition of security.

Plus you can pretend you're in NASCAR or own a vintage European car where you have to turn on the fuel pump switch before you start the car
The problem with installing in the armrest is that is the first place anyone would look. It should be somewhat hidden.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
goosem36

Drives: prospective buyer
The ones I've installed have either used an existing factory switch or a hidden switch requiring a magnet to activate the switch, holding the switch while starting the vehicle.
goosem36 is offline   Reply With Quote