#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #29
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
The one thing I am not yet sold on with this Gen's Chevy performance cars is the LT1.

You had a s65, have a F80, and an LT1. The F80 excites me in no way as I can't stand the sound. The LT1 from the outside looking in seems really boring, but at the same time I know torque is tons of fun from my modded LS3 1LE.

I really like the looks of the Grand Sport and love the value of the 1LE, but I fear if I bought either, the one glaring thing I would want to change is the one thing I can't...the engine.

I haven't test driven either yet, am I wrong about the LT1?
I can confidently say without a doubt that you are DEAD WRONG about the LT1 haha though of course it really comes down to how YOU feel driving the car. You need to go test drive one, even if you can't reallly get on it you should know pretty quickly if you are going to enjoy it or not.

I'm also one of the guys that came from a 5th gen (though not a 1LE), and this car is just light-years better than the 5th gen IMO. I've been in a few 600, 700, 800+hp cars and of course those are a blast just due to the sheer insanity of all that HP but even in pure stock form the SS 1LE still blows my mind.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #30
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I can confidently say without a doubt that you are DEAD WRONG about the LT1 haha though of course it really comes down to how YOU feel driving the car. You need to go test drive one, even if you can't reallly get on it you should know pretty quickly if you are going to enjoy it or not.

I'm also one of the guys that came from a 5th gen (though not a 1LE), and this car is just light-years better than the 5th gen IMO. I've been in a few 600, 700, 800+hp cars and of course those are a blast just due to the sheer insanity of all that HP but even in pure stock form the SS 1LE still blows my mind.
Thanks for the reply man. Have you owned cars in the past with engines of different character than the LT1? Going from LS3 to LT1, I am sure I would be happy as I believe the torque curve is even better. What concerns me is the very low redline from what I have come accustomed to recently(8300 RPM), and the fact the LT1 is not the easiest to mod with cams etc compared to the LS3 to get a change in character. .
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #31
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Boring because NA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Get a Zl1 then?
My fear is that it is boring due to it low redline and lack of top end power/speed. The 455/455 is plenty as far as numbers go, that would not bore me.

It is a much more practical power band than the car I drive now, so for all intents and purposes it should be more fun around town tbh.

I have just grown very found of high revving engines as of late, and fear getting bored without.

I could be completely wrong, and the only reason I have not test driven an LT1 is I am about 12-15 months away from being ready to buy.

I know I cant test drive a car like a GS or 1LE, and not want to take it home. I am very impulsive like that, so I am not going to tempt myself yet.

Thank you guys for your responses!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #32
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
I went from two LS3's to an LT1 (C6 GS and a Gen 5 1LE) the LT1 is just an evolution of that engine, not a revolution. I haven't modded mine yet but it seems that the low hanging fruit; Ported TB/IM, Intake, Headers & Tune still provide similar gains to the LS3.

Your 8300RPM redline sounds like an absolute riot though.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #33
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
I went from two LS3's to an LT1 (C6 GS and a Gen 5 1LE) the LT1 is just an evolution of that engine, not a revolution. I haven't modded mine yet but it seems that the low hanging fruit; Ported TB/IM, Intake, Headers & Tune still provide similar gains to the LS3.

Your 8300RPM redline sounds like an absolute riot though.
It is LOTS of fun, but has its sacrifices too. Low end grunt is lacking to be kind lol. It is a different kind of fun for me. The way the car acts in the higher RPMs is how my LS3 acted in the lower RPMs. For me, right now, I get more thrill from the former but want something closer to the middle of the two.

Honestly, I just want something modern with an LS7 in it HAHA.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #34
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
It is LOTS of fun, but has its sacrifices too. Low end grunt is lacking to be kind lol. It is a different kind of fun for me. The way the car acts in the higher RPMs is how my LS3 acted in the lower RPMs. For me, right now, I get more thrill from the former but want something closer to the middle of the two.

I personally enjoy the down grunt more which is what makes the LS/LT platform so great. I could be wrong (cuz it's been almost 3 years since I've driven a 5th gen) but from what I recall the LT1 has much better pull across the entire rev range as compared to the LS3. Of course this is a combination of the engine as well as the platform. Basically my car pulls like hell from 2500 all the way to 6500 in 2nd-4th, (never been close to redline in 5th lol that's like 170mph) I've enjoyed every second on track in this car, from the slower tracks to 150+ on the back straight at VIR. Boring is the last word that would ever come to mind, and the giggles of people that I've had ride shotgun on track prove that haha
Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
The one thing I am not yet sold on with this Gen's Chevy performance cars is the LT1.

You had a s65, have a F80, and an LT1. The F80 excites me in no way as I can't stand the sound. The LT1 from the outside looking in seems really boring, but at the same time I know torque is tons of fun from my modded LS3 1LE.

I really like the looks of the Grand Sport and love the value of the 1LE, but I fear if I bought either, the one glaring thing I would want to change is the one thing I can't...the engine.

I haven't test driven either yet, am I wrong about the LT1?
I had the pleasure of having both my new 1LE and my outgoing lease-end M3 for about a 2 week period.

The biggest strength of the M3 was its drivetrain. That motor paired with a DCT is the SHIT. The M3 utilized some cool anti-lag tech. on the turbos that was pretty awesome and the DCT was pretty good as well.

On paper both cars have very similar performance numbers for 0-60 times and 1/4 mile, but the M3 does feel quite a bit faster, just because of how the power comes in on a turbo motor and the DCT. when driven back to back.

I also think at play with the LT1 is some very aggressive timing pull tables , because on mine some days it feels faster than others.

As far as sound, the LT1 kills the M3, especially now that I have a Corsa exhaust on it and I didn't have to pay $5K for it either.

For me the perfect combo would have been the 1LE with the LS7 motor.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #36
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:

Have you considered a GT350? I know that's almost a forbidden topic here on a Camaro forum but, I find that car to be utterly intoxicating. Yes, you're right about there being no one home on the low-rpm side of the fence when talking about cars that rev that high but, it's a sacrifice. Also, for what it's worth, you can easily spin the LT1 to 7k with the right manifold and setup. They'll make power up that high so, it's not that low.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #37
EddieL3

Drives: 1995 Z28, 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Have you considered a GT350? I know that's almost a forbidden topic here on a Camaro forum but, I find that car to be utterly intoxicating. Yes, you're right about there being no one home on the low-rpm side of the fence when talking about cars that rev that high but, it's a sacrifice. Also, for what it's worth, you can easily spin the LT1 to 7k with the right manifold and setup. They'll make power up that high so, it's not that low.
I’ve never seen a head to head comparison of the GT350 and the SS 1LE. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that one exists.
EddieL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #38
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL3 View Post
I’ve never seen a head to head comparison of the GT350 and the SS 1LE. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that one exists.
That right there would be the proper match up to the Ford produce line. Lap times of the SS 1LE are right up there with the GT350R.

My best guess is the GT350 would be slightly behind the SS 1LE, while the GT350R might be a hair ahead. The 1LE probably splits the difference between the two.

While I guess price wise the SS 1LE lines up better with the GT PP2, the proper performance match up is with the GT350 & GT350R. I am surprised no media has done it.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #39
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:

When I drove my friend's previous generation M3 with the V-8, I was underwhelmed. Zero low end grunt. The LT1 is faster than it feels. Coming from a modded turbo car, I had to adjust to driving my 1LE. The motor feels a little slow to wind up, due to gearing IMHO. By not giving it too much throttle down low, the torque is sweet. AND, at 4K rpm and above, everything changes.

You need to drive one and get on it in all the gears at 4K rpm. I'd like your impression after the test drive.

Someone once said, "Revs for torque is no bargain for the street."
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #40
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Yes, for sure. I love that car, but am afraid of the reliability issues. Even under warranty, I don't want to have to deal with a car that has constant issues. It is a shame, as it is EXACTLY what I am looking for right now and I have no brand loyalty.

Spinning the LT1 to 7K isn't that low, you're absolutely right. I know nothing about that, so will have to look in to it.Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #41
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I personally enjoy the down grunt more which is what makes the LS/LT platform so great. I could be wrong (cuz it's been almost 3 years since I've driven a 5th gen) but from what I recall the LT1 has much better pull across the entire rev range as compared to the LS3. Of course this is a combination of the engine as well as the platform. Basically my car pulls like hell from 2500 all the way to 6500 in 2nd-4th, (never been close to redline in 5th lol that's like 170mph) I've enjoyed every second on track in this car, from the slower tracks to 150+ on the back straight at VIR. Boring is the last word that would ever come to mind, and the giggles of people that I've had ride shotgun on track prove that haha
I loved my LS3, I only sold it because I took it too far on mods for my daily and I got tired of it. Wish I still had it now that I have a cheap daily, it was a GREAT car and such a bullet proof engine. My favorite car to have owned so far hands down.

Using the word boring to describe my concerns with buying an LT1 powered car was wrong, and I know I would love having one in my garage, I just meant I wasn't sure if it would give me the same excitement I have recently gotten from my higher revving engine.

It has been almost 5 years since I sold my LS3, long enough for me to have forgotten the thrill that came with driving it. I am not ready to buy, so I won't go test drive yet. As concerned as I am, I would honestly be shocked if I didn't love driving the alpha camaro or vette chassis with an LT1 in them, am I going to miss having a motor I can wring the s*&% out of though, thats my concern. HAHA, wish I could afford both. Not a bad problem to have all in all.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #42
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I've owned the following high rev vehicles:

1996 Acura Integra GS-R (8K rpm)
92 b18c swapped hatch (8K rpm)
2001 S2000 (9K rpm) swapped in an F22 bottom end and brought it down to 8500 just to be safe.
2006 M3 (8K rpm)
2016 Golf-R (~6900 rpm)

Now I have my 1LE. Not once have I felt the rev limit on the LT1 holding me back from fun. The weirdest thing for me to get used to is the long gearing, which IMO makes up for the lack of rev range because the car pulls all the way to 6500.

Also as mentioned above, the car is much faster than it feels. It reminded me of the first time I got a ride in a C63. I didn't necessarily feel like we were going very fast, but a glance at the speedo confirmed we were nearly at 100 just getting on the freeway.

I really think you need to go drive one and find out for yourself, but coming from a guy who loves high revving engines, I am never disappointed in the power delivery of the LT1.