#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #29
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Even the SS can't be pushed to its full potential on the street for the most part. But that depends on location of course. Those living out where long open stretches of road are the normal commute can definitely push it. And anyone who owns an SS is guilty when an opportunity like that comes along. I don't condone street racing and don't participate (I did when I was younger and much less responsible), but let's be honest, most on here didn't by the SS to drive like a little old lady.

I haven't driven a Zl1, but I've driven a car with boost, and it's a different beast altogether in terms of power delivery. That burst of extra power in the rev range is addicting. If I had the funds, I'd definitely go the ZL1 route. How it performs on the street is up to you.
Sorry but pushing a 1LE and speaking about long straights is not what we should talk about....1LE is corner carving car, where you can push it is where you can corner, IE mountain roads, canyon and roadcourse.

Those who say you can't touch the limits of a 1LE on the streets are not driving on mountain roads, I push mine on the limits on the mountain roads near my home every week ends, as well as my C7 GS with PSCup2 ...(a little harder to reach the limits though as there is more grip)

1LE is fast, but lacks a little bit of power in my opinion, especially when you start to be on high elevations...
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #30
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
1LE can be safely pushed on mountain roads if it's a sweeping road, fairly smooth, with good visibility and wide lanes. If it's super narrow hairpin road I usually find they aren't safe to push (cyclists, blind turns, bumps in weird spots, broken pavement, etc)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #31
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post
Sorry but pushing a 1LE and speaking about long straights is not what we should talk about....1LE is corner carving car, where you can push it is where you can corner, IE mountain roads, canyon and roadcourse.

Those who say you can't touch the limits of a 1LE on the streets are not driving on mountain roads, I push mine on the limits on the mountain roads near my home every week ends, as well as my C7 GS with PSCup2 ...(a little harder to reach the limits though as there is more grip)

1LE is fast, but lacks a little bit of power in my opinion, especially when you start to be on high elevations...
And that's where the ZL1 comes in. You get excellent track and straight line performance.

As for mountain and canyon roads, we all aren't that lucky. The only mountain you see down here is Mount Trashmore.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #32
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
1LE can be safely pushed on mountain roads if it's a sweeping road, fairly smooth, with good visibility and wide lanes. If it's super narrow hairpin road I usually find they aren't safe to push (cyclists, blind turns, bumps in weird spots, broken pavement, etc)
Yeah, because nothing ever goes wrong right? Totally "safe" to push your car to the limits on public roads.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #33
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
I think street racing is stupid, and either car is likely to end up wrapped around a tree without a competent driver.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he asked if street racing was stupid or not, I think he asked about a 1le vs Zl1. I street race occasionally and am far from stupid js. I hate these comments when they are out of context
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #34
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Back on topic though I had a 17 ss fifty non 1le and after getting my Zl1 there is no comparison and yes I hit Mexico pretty regularly and find the Zl1 the most fun as a daily driver compared to my 2016 ctsv and Z06. So to the open if you like to drive and experience the ride, like Mexico, go for the Zl1 manual and don't look back.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #35
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he asked if street racing was stupid or not, I think he asked about a 1le vs Zl1. I street race occasionally and am far from stupid js. I hate these comments when they are out of context
The statement was that the ACT of street racing was stupid, which it 100% is. No need to get offended, nobody called you stupid even if you admit to doing stupid things.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #36
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
Back on topic though I had a 17 ss fifty non 1le and after getting my Zl1 there is no comparison and yes I hit Mexico pretty regularly and find the Zl1 the most fun as a daily driver compared to my 2016 ctsv and Z06. So to the open if you like to drive and experience the ride, like Mexico, go for the Zl1 manual and don't look back.
Thanks, this makes sense. To be clear, the V6 RS in my sig is becoming my son's car. I'm looking for a toy for myself and considering the 1LE vs ZL1. I had a 16 CTS-V that was a lot of fun but the auto trans was a let down. I felt like it really watered that car down, but I am a big manual fan, so the manual ZL1 seems like a good fit. This wouldn't be a DD but I would hope to use it as much as I can (another advantage of a Camaro - it isn't big $ sports car where you worry about miles as much).

If you had both a SS 1LE and a ZL1 M6, and it's a nice sunny day with some fun roads for spirited driving, which car do you choose?
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #37
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I like N/A cars, that was a big deciding factor for me, I also love manuals and drive it almost daily, I found the 1le's clutch easier to work. Eventually I'll go max effort with an N/A build for more power (probably will be more involved and costly that adding a supercharger but it's what I prefer). Those were things that definately affected my decision, the 15k in savings was also a factor. However if you know 455hp just doesn't do it for you and are indifferent about N/A vs boosted as well as wanting an automatic then that makes the choice to go with the zl1 pretty easy.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #38
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
The original post was asking about a car to "take to Mexico" but was later edited. It wasn't out of context at the time.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #39
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
When I was younger street racing was two cars on a desolate road trying to see which was quicker. Only thing that got hurt was pride and the losers car if it broke.

Thanks a lot Fast & Furious a-holes.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #40
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
Thanks, this makes sense. To be clear, the V6 RS in my sig is becoming my son's car. I'm looking for a toy for myself and considering the 1LE vs ZL1. I had a 16 CTS-V that was a lot of fun but the auto trans was a let down. I felt like it really watered that car down, but I am a big manual fan, so the manual ZL1 seems like a good fit. This wouldn't be a DD but I would hope to use it as much as I can (another advantage of a Camaro - it isn't big $ sports car where you worry about miles as much).

If you had both a SS 1LE and a ZL1 M6, and it's a nice sunny day with some fun roads for spirited driving, which car do you choose?
Yes the A8 (auto) is a huge disappointment in my V and the I'm going to sell it pretty soon and get a trackhawk. To answer your question on a nice sunny day (many of those here in Houston) I'd take a Zl1 manual any day vs a 1le. You too coming from a V3 will find a ss underpowered (trust me) although it's a fun car. I daily all of my cars if that makes sense but the Z06 gets driven the less for whatever reason lol.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #41
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
It’s a great day to be an auto enthusiast when you can call a car with 455hp underpowered!

I guess you guys are too young to remember the 70’s and 80’s!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #42
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I pretty much demand 1LE handling on the street for my DD experience but there's way more power than I can really use or put down to think that a ZL1 would have a viable spot in my plans.
Thank you. That's two of us.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote