Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Rear window tinting question...

Would someone please post a pic of their rear window tint? Especially a close up showing the transition area at the top where the raised "bumps" are at...

I had mind done last week, and at the top and sides where the black "bumps" are at, I don't think they did a very good job of getting all the air out, etc. I would like to see what others look like prior to going back, and being able to show them a pic of one that looks better than mine would be good too. I know the rear window is hard to access, but I didn't go cheap either - so I expect it done right.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Some installers will put black vinyl down first, The bumps are near impossible to get between especially in the camaro - You are going to see where the tint is not stuck in between - Kind of the nature of it. However if they do a black vinyl strip heat it and press it the vinyl will mold between and black that area out better. There are all kinds of video's out there on it especially for cars with a large dot matrix area.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
RCF

Thanks! Didn't realize this was such a popular topic - never experienced this on my previous vehicles. Guess I have 2 choices - live with it, or have it redone with a vinyl strip. Hmmmm...
Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The crappy way tint looks trying to get it across the defroster traces is the main reason why i would never want to tint my rear window. I wish the defroster traces were a removable film you could just take off for when you live in a state that doesn't freeze. Completely useless to me and nothing but a cleaning hassle.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
The strip is small enough on the camaro it doesnt look that bad to be honest I still think it looks better then not tinted and with my car sitting in the hot florida sun Tint is a must for me.
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
RCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
The strip is small enough on the camaro it doesnt look that bad to be honest I still think it looks better then not tinted and with my car sitting in the hot florida sun Tint is a must for me.
Agreed! Living in Houston May-September can be brutal! Luckily I get to park in a garage most of the time.

And it doesn't look horrible, but I'm very picky. Honestly, will probably live with it - at least it looks uniform, not stuck in some places and not in others. If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to deal with it.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I've done about four cars now with the bumps on the rear glass and never had a problem. I always use llumar tint, and it looks like crap for about two weeks, but sitting out in the sun for two weeks and it all goes away. Everyone of them is been that way. My Camaro now looks fine.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote