Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
"Loudest" exhaust for ZL1...

I've done the search.....looked through all the threads....

But my needs are a bit different, and I'd like a more specific solution.

I'm looking for the most aggressive sound I can get from a system:

Doesn't need NPP valves. It's on the track 98% of the time. Don't have a need to quiet it down.

Strongly prefer to not have to cut any of the factory system. Like the rest of the mods I've made, I want to be able to reverse them someday.

Can be axle-back, cat-back, delete secondary cats, as long as it's plug & play and no codes.

I'm tired of running in the advanced HPDE groups and dancing with some fully prepped track cars and sounding like a street car.

Please share your ideas and experience.

Thanks!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Absolute loudest without tuning/codes (Aka leaving factory primary cats ALONE) is going to be something that attaches to the primaries and just dumps the exhaust under the car or straight out the back.

But if you're looking for a setup that you can actually buy and install straight out of the box, I doubt you'll get any louder than my setup without touching primary cats/headers (which = tuning). I'm sure you've seen my thread but it's basically the Borla 60606 X pipe and Corsa Xtreme axle back, they fit perfectly together and ditch the secondary cats/factory X/crushed rear pipes and the Xtreme axle back is brutally loud on WOT/downshifts but cruises very tamely and is manageable for going out to dinner under 3000 RPM just like a stock car.

I bet there are other systems that are louder down low or are cheaper but doubt you'll find one that's louder, doesn't drone, and is well made.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
afe power ftw and it works with npp
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Side exit.. Nascar style.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Not staying stock Borla headers with Borla Atak no Cats. Most people think that 2 inch headers are louder and probably are to other brands, but Borla 1 3/4 are loudest i've heard so far in Houston and there are a lot of modded cars here.. only down side is you just leave a little power on the table on the big builds. But borla supposedly does sound testing and velocity testing on these headers. Not that it matters but last fall we drove to Dallas for there coffee n cars and my wife won there rev wars contest she didn't even have a cam..

I like the Borla X pipe and Coras Extreme set up staying all stock the Blue ZL1 1LE that phastek has on their youtube channel sounds good we put his Corsa on at my shop but, it has no valving also phastek did the X pipe and video.

Travis races his Zl1 1LE every weekend so no headers he keeping the warranty he likes the Corsa better I like Borla better I think they sound similar vs other system on the market but he says Borla sounds Raspy..

I'd stay away from stainless works another friend with a grey ZL1 has there whole system and it drones, I drove it home from powerfab after it was modded I will attest to it. It also happens to be on some of the phastek videos his name was Jeremy incase you pan thru their youtube channel and wonder whos cars are who ahd have what done to them.

wifes SS w Borla

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 06-14-2018 at 09:32 AM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #6
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Side exit.. Nascar style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Absolute loudest without tuning/codes (Aka leaving factory primary cats ALONE) is going to be something that attaches to the primaries and just dumps the exhaust under the car or straight out the back.

But if you're looking for a setup that you can actually buy and install straight out of the box, I doubt you'll get any louder than my setup without touching primary cats/headers (which = tuning). I'm sure you've seen my thread but it's basically the Borla 60606 X pipe and Corsa Xtreme axle back, they fit perfectly together and ditch the secondary cats/factory X/crushed rear pipes and the Xtreme axle back is brutally loud on WOT/downshifts but cruises very tamely and is manageable for going out to dinner under 3000 RPM just like a stock car.

I bet there are other systems that are louder down low or are cheaper but doubt you'll find one that's louder, doesn't drone, and is well made.
Yes, have seen your thread...some great info and posts. Would be a great plug & play, no cutting, solution. Only thing that made me hesitate was the "when you're not in it....sounds tame like track setting on factory exhaust...." type of comments. I'll probably just have to jump in and try it. Foot in it all the time on the track anyway. Just want it to be angry!

The side exit NASCAR dumps are tempting tho..

Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"

Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Doesn't need NPP valves. It's on the track 98% of the time. Don't have a need to quiet it down.
Thanks!
Even if it's on track most of its life. Some tracks do get pissy about sound levels. Just something to keep in mind if you plan to travel to other tracks.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
Even if it's on track most of its life. Some tracks do get pissy about sound levels. Just something to keep in mind if you plan to travel to other tracks.
Yep. Good point.

Blessed that most of the Midwest tracks aren't too pissy about db. Road Atlanta does have a "quiet period" on Sunday, but even most OEM exhaust cars get kicked off during that time.

I'm coming off a Factory Five GTM with a mid-engine 675hp LS7, with only Kooks headers, an x-pipe, and straight thru resonators. And I miss it. Made grown men weep and boys wet their pants..

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"

Old 06-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

I have the same set up, except my Borla mid-pipe is a 60607 (retains primary Cats). I've had it for about 3 months now, and I highly recommend. Short of just going full straight-piped, I think it's the loudest you can get while maintaining quality sound. And yes, it sounds like a stock car under 3k and while cruising.

Here's a vid of relatively WOT on a drag strip from someone sitting in the stands. It's pretty loud even for that far away. (Ignore me spinning out into 4-5 gear because unbeknownst to me, the guy in front of me spilled transmission oil on the track)

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote