Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
A8, GM Programmers Clueless

Really?? I don't believe there is anything wrong with my transmission, just the way that GM "engineers" programmed it!

On normal driving, the trans "short-shifts" and seems to attempt to keep the RPMs under 1500 (for better fuel economy of course.) The torque converter lock and unlock are rather annoying, as well as the switch between V4 and V6.

I contacted two vendors about reprogramming the ECU and TCM. One of them was UNAWARE that the V6 engine had AFM!

Both of them said that indeed the shift program could be improved, BUT that it would be "visible" to GM, even if you put it back to stock before taking the car in for any work. I'm sure they would love to have an excuse not to repair something under warranty.

With the various problems with the A8, I'm wondering if it is worth the risk of re-programming.

I know, just use the "manual mode" takes care of most of these issues, except the TC lock/unlock "spin-up."
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Sounds like you need an M6
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
LtColumbo

Drives: 2017 1LT RS V6 A8, 2020 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNight View Post
Sounds like you need an M6
Been driving stick shift since 1970. If I wanted an M6, I would have gotten it. The programmers obviously never drove the A8. They should be FIRED.
LtColumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have not extensively driven a performance car with auto transmission like this before and that torque converter "spin up" is something I'm not used to. I don't feel this in any auto transmission vehicle I've driven. Is this normal for this kind of auto? At times it almost feels like slipping for a second. At WOT I never feel this.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
The converter can be locked and unlocked depending on the situation. It will behave very differently in both situations. What exactly are you expecting out of an automatic with a converter and planetary gears? Please don't compare to a dual clutch because it is a very different type of automatic with its own drawbacks.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote