Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2020, 11:13 PM   #29
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
yeah I can see in the photo they are not slotted. I've often wondered if the slotted rotor cause more brake dust and wear out pads faster. Thoughts?
IDK. I can tell you that 1LE brake dust plenty bad and very soon after cleaning them. The slots and/or cross drilled pattern is supposed to help expel gas I believe. I don't think they're really necessary IMO at least in most circumstances. Look at companies like Griggs. They are like the winningest company in Mustang road racing, and their brakes are bad ass, but they weren't slotted or cross drilled. The main thing to watch for is cranks in them. This is more common with cross drilled than it is with slotted rotors though.

I like slotted rotors okay on a large, 2 piece rotor, 4+ piston caliper setups, but I always thought it looked ricey when people put them on some small, single piece rotor, 2 piston PBR type setup. My 02 SS had some cross drilled and slotted rotors on it when I bought it and when I added GEN5 Brembos to it I went with a plain 14" rotor. Never had an issue with the slotted/cross drilled rotors on thay car though.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #30
Beef SS2

Drives: chevy Camaro
I have a 2SS with red front Brembo and gray rear Brembo. What is the easiest way to get the red rear brembo besides painting?
Beef SS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #31
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
You can get the upgraded front brakes here for a lot less cost...

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfo...-92304339.html

What I'd like to know is how is this justified as a $3,645 "upgrade" on an SS... My 2SS has Red 4 piston Brembos on all 4 corners ($395), it would have cost me WELL over $3,000 JUST to upgrade the fronts only to 6 piston and 1" larger rotors... Hell, I got an A10 and MRC (in addition to my Red Brembos) for the same money...

I realize they are better brakes, but $3,600 better? I can't imagine 2 more pistons and 1" bigger rotor is giving you $3,600 better braking...

If it was a $500-$700 upgrade, I would have jumped at it... $3,600??? No thanks... (all my other cars have single piston brakes, I'm pretty happy with my 4 piston Brembos on all 4 corners!)
I agree that $3600 is hard to justify. Just watch the member classifieds. If you're patient, you can pick up some 1LE or ZL1 take-offs for quite a bit less.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #32
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I want these real bad for my SS. I just haven't been able to get myself to shell out the cash when all they really would be for me is a cosmetic upgrade. Yes, I know they are better brakes, but I don't think i'm ever really that hard on my brakes that it truly would matter.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #33
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
the 4 piston brembos on the SS are pretty good - more than adequate for the street and autox and even some track use with the right pads. Going to the 6 piston will improve the braking slightly and more importantly should reduce the brake fade. I have similar StopTech brakes on my 71 Pro Touring Camaro - ST60 / ST40 with 14x1.25" rotors and the stopping power with TW200 tires is simply amazing. Better than the SS for sure. Is that needed on the street? No way. I did it to make the car capable of full road course track sessions and I used to race with NASA in the CMC class about 10 years ago.

Anyway - brakes are expensive. The ST package on my '71 retails for more than $7K
But obviously the upgrade from stock '71 Camaro brakes to that is quite staggering. The upgrade from 4 piston to 6 piston brembos is a lot less of a step up.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
the 4 piston brembos on the SS are pretty good - more than adequate for the street and autox and even some track use with the right pads. Going to the 6 piston will improve the braking slightly and more importantly should reduce the brake fade. I have similar StopTech brakes on my 71 Pro Touring Camaro - ST60 / ST40 with 14x1.25" rotors and the stopping power with TW200 tires is simply amazing. Better than the SS for sure. Is that needed on the street? No way. I did it to make the car capable of full road course track sessions and I used to race with NASA in the CMC class about 10 years ago.

Anyway - brakes are expensive. The ST package on my '71 retails for more than $7K
But obviously the upgrade from stock '71 Camaro brakes to that is quite staggering. The upgrade from 4 piston to 6 piston brembos is a lot less of a step up.
Great info, and yes.. agree... That is why I have not pulled the trigger on the upgrade. I love the look, but I don't know that I love the look to the tune of $4k. I know I can get them painted, but if I was going to take them all apart to get them painted, I'd just get the Red Brembo's and throw them on.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #35
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
you know - I don't like the look. I opted for black instead of red on my stop tech's.

c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #36
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef SS2 View Post
I have a 2SS with red front Brembo and gray rear Brembo. What is the easiest way to get the red rear brembo besides painting?
@Beef SS2 Here ya go: https://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfo...-92304340.html
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #37
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
you know - I don't like the look. I opted for black instead of red on my stop tech's.
Ya, it is not for everyone...
Old 06-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #38
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
something else to consider, if you’re receiving these cars on anything less than a supercar 3 tire, any brake upgrade is a moot point.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #39
NOTENUF

Drives: C6 corvette, 18 Grand Cherokee,
brembo

I stand corrected!. Had to verify this for myself. I could order the complete system without the 1LE option. It even seems like an upgrade, vented rotors which most are, and a 2 piece slotted rotor.
NOTENUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #40
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I wish this was an option when I bought my 2016. I ended up buying the 6 piston kit just to get red calipers.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #41
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
A couple of things to clarify that I believe were missed in the previous posts...

The 6 piston performance brake upgrade (code 5LQ) for the LT & SS comes with slotted rotors. The rotors on the 1LE package (code J6M)are not slotted. The front brake pads are also different between the 5LQ and J6M packages. Not entirely certain of the difference other than the 5LQ pads are significantly less expensive, but likely do not perform as well as the 1LE pads. I suspect GM figures that people who go for the 5LQ package are doing so more for aesthetics than performance.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #42
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
A couple of things to clarify that I believe were missed in the previous posts...

The 6 piston performance brake upgrade (code 5LQ) for the LT & SS comes with slotted rotors. The rotors on the 1LE package (code J6M)are not slotted. The front brake pads are also different between the 5LQ and J6M packages. Not entirely certain of the difference other than the 5LQ pads are significantly less expensive, but likely do not perform as well as the 1LE pads. I suspect GM figures that people who go for the 5LQ package are doing so more for aesthetics than performance.

Nigel
If you are going for mainly aesthetics, the "Red Brembo Caliper (J6F)" option if far more economical and $395...

It was a definite "must have" for my 2SS...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote