Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #71
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
With the sales the way they are for this 6th Gen they should've done this sooner.
From what I've seen, GM did very little marketing for the Camaro.
You only see a quick glimpse of one during one of their stupid "real people" commercials.
A neighbor thought mine was a new Corvette in my garage.
No one knows anything about what GM sells unless they actually do research, other companies advertise their lineups.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #72
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I know someone with a C7 Grand Sport A8 and he told me that when he did a track day, he did overheat the A8 towards the end of the day and had to limp for a lap or two before he got on with it again. Probably not as bad as the Z06, but it can happen on the LT1 engined models as well.

And doesn't the A8 issue go beyond overheating on tracks? I have seen some general driveability issues with the 8L90, though I didn't do that much research since it wasn't on my radar anyway. It's "no manual, no love" for me.

But yes, A10 1LE would have been an opportunity to push for more sales, and there is nothing wrong with that if it performs well.
Ok, guess i didn't really research the A8 in the LT1 vettes. Hell I didn't research it in Camaros until I found my car sitting on the lot while looking for an M7 C7Z51 to get out of my M6 Hellcat. Then i saw that the Camaros A8 didn't overheat so I went ahead with the purchase as the deal was too good to pass up and gave up my manual only drum I had been beating on. You will too someday
The main A8 issue of torque converter shudder is well known and mostly attributed to the slip programmed in for DOD. Well lucky for me Callaway had already tuned that out and I haven't had any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Fyi JA has an A8 in his (modded) car and he is one of the fastest track rats on the forum. I've also heard of some A8s overheating in C7s, but from what i recall it was when folks attempted to shift them manually vs leaving it in auto mode. But no first hand experience here.
Id agree that an A10 addition will be a welcomed feature marketing wise on SS 1LE.
I think it's the other way around. They probably overheat in auto not manual mode. The performance shift mode that activates really bangs off the shifts up and down and keeps the rpms high. In manual mode you can hold a higher gear and avoid shifts keeping the heat down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
You only see a quick glimpse of one during one of their stupid "real people" commercials.
No one knows anything about what GM sells unless they actually do research, other companies advertise their lineups.
Yeah it's non-existent and that's really sad
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #73
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Ok, guess i didn't really research the A8 in the LT1 vettes. Hell I didn't research it in Camaros until I found my car sitting on the lot while looking for an M7 C7Z51 to get out of my M6 Hellcat. Then i saw that the Camaros A8 didn't overheat so I went ahead with the purchase as the deal was too good to pass up and gave up my manual only drum I had been beating on. You will too someday
The main A8 issue of torque converter shudder is well known and mostly attributed to the slip programmed in for DOD. Well lucky for me Callaway had already tuned that out and I haven't had any issues.

I think it's the other way around. They probably overheat in auto not manual mode. The performance shift mode that activates really bangs off the shifts up and down and keeps the rpms high. In manual mode you can hold a higher gear and avoid shifts keeping the heat down.

Yeah it's non-existent and that's really sad
Not aware of any A10s overheating. But have heard of A8s running hot. I dont believe i got it backwards regarding paddle vs auto shifting, as when in a manual mode it is easy to keep rpms stuck in a high range. How do you run your car?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #74
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Fyi JA has an A8 in his (modded) car and he is one of the fastest track rats on the forum. I've also heard of some A8s overheating in C7s, but from what i recall it was when folks attempted to shift them manually vs leaving it in auto mode. But no first hand experience here.

Id agree that an A10 addition will be a welcomed feature marketing wise on SS 1LE.
Thanks for the info, and I don't know how my friend drove the C7 GS. Maybe I will ask him at some point.

Quote:
This. I wasn't interested in the Camaro at all until I saw a owner on another forum talk about his SS 1LE and how good it is. There is almost no advertising for it.

There is almost no advertising for Mustangs but at least there are enough of them out there for everyone to know what they are. Of course, I am not really a fan of one due to how common they are, along with many other factors(crash into crowds reputation, DOHC V8 not as torque or unique, not as good of a chassis, etc.).

As for their "real people" ads... I recall the Camaro showed up in that "I switched to Chevy" one where a guy said he switched from a BMW to a Chevy... except they showed a base model Camaro. Put an SS or a ZL1 there FFS; it's an ad, you can be liberal with the trim choices so why not put the best one there? Who in the world buys a BMW and then switch to a base model Camaro?

At least those ads are bad enough to guarantee a Zebra Corner parody when they come out. Those are hilarious.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #75
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Not aware of any A10s overheating. But have heard of A8s running hot. I dont believe i got it backwards regarding paddle vs auto shifting, as when in a manual mode it is easy to keep rpms stuck in a high range. How do you run your car?
Manual always on track. Like i said, to hold a higher gear when I'm not looking to be at 6k mid corner with an elevation change. I am going to experiment with auto some this year as technically it should be faster, but I think it will screw with my driving style.

Edit: and if idiots are overheating their autos by banging off the rev limiter in manual mode, they don't belong on track...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #76
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
I think Chevy got a bit lazy with the 6th Gen. The 5th Gen sold very well from the start. Likely based on the hype about it's return from hiatus and the big news of retro style but they really didn't need to advertise it too much.

The 6th Gen comes along and maybe they thought it would just keep selling.

Personally I think the 6th Gen has a bit of an identity crisis and thus Chevy really should've gone far to advertise that it's an all new Camaro with all the great things they did to update it. Many people don't really know its a new car from the 5th Gen.

One thing we know now is that GM's future plans don't have a lot of room for the Camaro as it is currently. Most GM development resources aimed at electric, crossovers, trucks.
Corvette had a bigger brand presence and going mid-engine will also help it adapt. Camaro may have to be reinvented or left as another remnant of the bygone IC engine and pony car era.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #77
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I think it's fantastic and long overdue, personally. The A10 will open up the 1LE market quite a bit in my opinion, especially to those of us who have issues that preclude us from owning manual transmission cars or those who simply prefer automatics. I love manual transmission cars and as I'm sure some of you remember, I had a 2018 1LE. I absolutely loved that car but, I felt that with an A10, it would be have been even better.

I fall into the group where my body really doesn't like utilizing a manual very much anymore (military vet) and I prefer auto/DCT transmissions now. I want both hands on the steering wheel when I'm engaged in High Performance Driving Events or the like.

My current car has the lowly and much maligned A8 transmission. While I haven't had the opportunity to take the car to a track just yet, I did take it to the Tail of the Dragon recently. Hitting 1.25+ G's through turns and focusing on your next turn while just keeping your hands on the steering wheel made me feel so focused on the handling dynamics and less on heel/toe/shifting. Granted, this wasn't a high speed closed course or anything but, it was exciting and fun nonetheless. Luckily for me, the 2019's got some goodies from the ZR1, to include some cooling and fueling bits. While the car will still overheat if pushed in a hot environment, it won't go into limp mode as easily as the older models--which is less to do with the transmission specifically and more to do with how GM split up cooling methods when the car is equipped with an automatic.

Anyhow, I think the A10 will make the SS 1LE a complete package, finally. Would it get me back into a Camaro? No. There's A10 ZL1's and ZL1 1LE's and I'm not in a Camaro, either. But, this will hopefully mean nothing but good things for the sales of the Camaro and it's performance variants. If I were in the market for a Camaro SS 1LE, I wouldn't even think twice between the two choices, I'd get the SS 1LE A10.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #78
Tulsa_SS
2017 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
A10 in a SS 1LE! Yes I want it. I have a 17 SS 1LE but get tired of the shifting on the days I drive it to work with traffic. My left knee would appreciate it also since surgery.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #79
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa_SS View Post
A10 in a SS 1LE! Yes I want it. I have a 17 SS 1LE but get tired of the shifting on the days I drive it to work with traffic. My left knee would appreciate it also since surgery.
Yep, i think that's a no brainer...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:15 AM   #80
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i am not planning on buying a 21 auto 1LE.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #81
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
I want one...

I've wanted a 1LE for a long time, but the manual transmission was always a deal breaker for me due to the stop and go San Diego traffic that I have to deal with.

I had a 2SS A8 with RE71 tires and I really liked the performance of that car for the money, but I always wanted the 1LE. I can't wait for some 1LE A10 reviews once it comes out, I'm pretty sure it will post the same, if not better laptimes than the manual and it should be faster 0-60 too. I don't care which A10 version it gets as long as it's programmed to work like the ZL1 transmission and holds up at the track.

Now that the A10 is coming out, it checks alot of boxes for me.

Amazing performance
ok for stop and go traffic
awesome for backroads and trackdays
backseat for the kids
ADDED BONUS**wife can drive it if needed.

Now if it could pull a toy hauler to the desert, it would be perfect.

Last edited by NCSD; 06-06-2020 at 08:15 PM.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #82
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I bought an M6 because the wife CANT drive it, lol! ��
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #83
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Old 06-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #84
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
HAHA..

To be honest my wife never wanted to drive my old camaro anyway.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote