Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 05-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
This truly is a nightmare - another reason I always change my own fluids (except trans flush on autos). Don't trust those guys and it's good to get under the car once in awhile anyway, oil changes on this car are relatively easy
Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #16
Road Pressence

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel ZLE
It sounds like they could have started the car and left it running somehow, maybe no oil? and it overheated and started knocking. Sounds very fishy and bad situation all around, hope it works out and they take some responsibility.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #17
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
That’s why I change my oil. I don’t trust these dealers. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #18
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Sorry man.

That's why I do my own oil changes and mods. The dealership told me I had free oil changes for as long as I owned the car only IF I got my car serviced there. He'd might as well have been speaking Greek.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #19
Chevyfan4life
The Green Hornet

Drives: 2020 Rally Green 2SS 1LE
Do you have the My Chevrolet app on your smart phone?if not, download it and you can look at the driving history of your car.It will show the last trip the car took.it will show the hard acceleration and braking.If they did take it out for a joy ride it will show up on the app.Sorry man and good luck

1100-07/02/19
3100-07/04/19 | TPW 8/5
3400-7/29/19
3800-8/2/19 Built!
4300-8/5/19
4300-8/9/19 delivered to rail yard
4200-8/13/19 Shipped!
5000-8/19/19
6000-8/24/19 She's Home!
Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #20
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
The bottom line is there is no way that damage could have happened during a routine oil change. They have the skills, knowledge, and experience to execute an oil change without beating on a customer’s car, but didn’t do so. Guaranteed there is negligence somewhere in this fiasco they are trying to hide from you.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:05 PM   #21
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Ok, Devil's Advocate but please hear me out...

Why would you bring a car that heavily modded to a dealership and then just walk away from it for 3 hours and not so much as check on it? I brought my ZL1 to a dealership 1 time and that was for the first free oil change. And I at all times kept myself as close to my car as possible. If the bay doors were closed then you can bet your ass I had my ear to it listening. And mine was stock. So even if something happened it would result in free stuff. You car is very highly modded. You should be doing the oil change yourself at this point especially if you have all the stuff to do it. Or at the very least the shop that did the mods. Or somewhere else other than a dealership. Any place with a small parking lot and a bay right there and windows allowing you to see.

Now I am not accusing you of anything, but it seems odd that the car ran fine all this time and now all of a sudden it has some major engine failure. Putting some pieces together, and forgive me here, but it kinda sounds like something I heard a long time ago in my Mustang days when some kid tried to set up a shop for an engine he blew. Similar story. Brought it in for an oil change. Highly modded. Walked away. Car has an issue. "Oh you blew my engine". Because a lot is not adding up. Again, we all are super protective of our Camaros especially a ZL1 and even more especially one that has what I would estimate to be well over $20K in mods. We don't just take our cars to a dealership and then trust them to the point of going into the waiting room and reading a magazine for 3 hours. Something doesn't add up.

Now on your side of things, if there was some incident then I do believe there would be an alert sent to your email immediately. If my tire pressure goes low or I get a CEL or even when I get very low on oil life percentage I get email alerts. If something happened to your car at the dealership then there is some record of it and it would have the date and time that it occured. Likewise, if it happened a week ago, then it will indicate that as well. So that might be a good way to plead your case. Look for that email or see if there is a way to get it. It should be in the diagnostic or monthly vehicle service report or something to that effect.

Now I also have to say, this is the reason why dealerships and manufacturers should not take cars modded to this level. Regardless of how long you've had the car for or how long it has ran perfectly, you certainly have gotten on the gas before. Now the only way I could see them damaging your engine is if they were doing some crazy stuff like burnouts or holding the pedal down or if they took it for a spin and went crazy on it...in which case I gotta call BS because there is no way a responsible owner wouldn't know that was going on. Maybe they started the car but failed to put the oil in but then it would have seized or scorched your bearings and caused an internal oil leak. Maybe your tune was off or something with the E85?? Either way I do not see how any of this could have been the dealership's fault. Unless like I said they were just having a field day with your car and you were completely oblivious to what was going on for 3 hours.

Whatever happens, I do wish you luck if it is found out that the dealership was completely at fault. If that happens then I hope you learned a valuable lesson. Do your own oil changes. If you can't, then be present at all times when someone else is doing it.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #22
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Your waiting 3 hrs on an oil change gives me pause to question, why? After waiting 45 min or less, I would be back in service asking questions.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #23
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
3 hours for an oil change at a dealership isn’t that long to wait depending on the vehicles ahead of his for oil changes. The dealerships don’t have 30 minutes or less oil changes anymore is what I have been told by several techs and service advisors that I know. Being that his car was modded to the hilt I would have changed it myself or had a oil change business do it while standing at the window and watching them do it. I wish the Op luck with getting his ZLE repaired but I’m pretty sure since it was modded it will be on him to pay for the repairs or new engine.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #24
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Time for a 416 op. Make lemonade out of lemons.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #25
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Being modded does not mean that when and event occurs while under someone else’s care, it’s somehow your fault. Being “stock” is not the only way it can be someone else’s fault. If you were sitting at a traffic light and someone hits you, it’s not somehow your fault because you were modded.

To the OP, if the GM is reasonable, they will see that it happened on their premises. Their tech told you that it spit out coolant and developed a knock (their words). Don’t hesitate to take the legal route if you are able. Don’t go in expecting that it is somehow your fault or that this is just the way it is.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #26
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
OP, I absolutely cannot envision a scenario where the dealetship is culpable. Assuming they sneak the car out the back for a joyride, which is almost inconceivable when the owner is sitting in the waiting room, they may sling a rod thru the block, or drop a valve, but not hydrolock the motor. The root cause should be apparent when they tear the motor down. If it's a cracked head leaky intercooler bricks or head gasket, then it' likely a coincidence. The motor filled with coolant after you shut it down an hyrolocked when they started it. That happened to me on a 72 DeTomaso Pantera decades ago, except the dealership was not involved. I shut the car off, came back a few hours later cranked it and hyrolocked it, bending a couple of rods.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 05-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #27
Swift016

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Uh, guys,,,.
Let me assure you that an engine can, will fail at idle rpm... 50 years of race engines have proved it to.... sometimes low rpm and too rich tune will even wash oil off rod bearings.... just one example.,,
Old 05-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #28
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
possible a spring or valve let go and yes, coincidental. You didn't mention you heard any revving or anything and I would think if they were playing with your car, you would have.

Sounds like a bad situation for both parties involved but odd there needs to be more info before just saying the dealer blew up my engine, especially from a lawyer.

Me speculating here - Coolant out the exhaust tells me a valve broke, piston caused it to crack the sleeve and you have your coolant. Now, what would cause this? a valve can break at anytime, unfortunately. If we went with the idea of the engine left running while changing the oil, it likely would have seized before getting to a coolant in the cylinder situation.

Also, you mentioned mods have been there... how many miles on the valves prings? Those are a wear item and should be replaced more regularly than a typical valve spring. I'd at least pull the valve cover and see if a spring broke which in turn could make a valve break ... Adding - the chances of the brick leaking coolant is high on the list as well. Ask whipple if they have an issue with that.

Good luck

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon

Last edited by DemonZL1; 05-09-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Closed Thread