Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Spudsmaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMARO
using Cadillac twin turbo setup?

Does anyone know if the CT6 3.0l twin turbo LGW engine twin turbo set up will work with the 3.6l LGX engine these engines were made and designed together and very similar from my research but im not an engineer or a mechanic and ive never done a forced inductions set up. was just wondering if anyone had any idea on this.
From what i see it seems very possible it's all about getting a proper tune from what i can see
Spudsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Is there specific information that you are looking for, in regards to whether it will work on the LGX?

Are you trying to find out if the twin turbo setup will bot on, without major modifications?

Are you curious about what type of power will be possible, compared to the stock LGW setup?

I'll throw out some general information, which may or may not answer some of your questions.
The LGW has a 9.8:1 compression ratio, compared to the 11.5:1 compression ration on the LGX. This is done, so that the turbos can force more air into the combustion chamber, without raising the final compression ration to a point that it requires race fuel.

The turbos on the CT6 are obviously capable of pushing enough air to achieve 404 hp, on the stock 3.0 liter LGW, thus it should be capable of at least that on the 3.6 liter LGX. I don't how close those turbos are to being maxed out, so you may end up putting a significant amount of time and money into installing and tuning a setup that is only 70 hp over stock.

Unless you can find out more information regarding the specifications of the stock LGW turbos, and their capabilities, it would most likely be more cost effective to go with a known aftermarket FI system. For example, the Overkill kit claims around 100 hp over stock, with the option to upgrade to the Stage 2 kit, and gain even more.

Hopefully someone else will eventually chime in with more information, regarding this setup, but until then, I hope this helps.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I would think the 3.6TT out of the ATS-V would make way more sense. Same engine family as the 6th Gen Camaro V6 (GM High Feature V6) and the ATS-V uses the same Alpha chassis as the Camaro too.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Joker75

I agree. Plus, they are designed to produce more hp, in stock form.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I would think the 3.6TT out of the ATS-V would make way more sense. Same engine family as the 6th Gen Camaro V6 (GM High Feature V6) and the ATS-V uses the same Alpha chassis as the Camaro too.
They will bolt directly up too. Both engines use the same exhaust flanges but I dont think you can get the twins to FULLY fit in the chassis without alot of mods. A single turbo would be easier...
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
They will bolt directly up too. Both engines use the same exhaust flanges but I dont think you can get the twins to FULLY fit in the chassis without alot of mods. A single turbo would be easier...
The ATS-V turbos bolt directly to the heads. I’d bet money that motor with twin turbos drops right in to the Camaro. A single turbo would require crossover pipes and a bigger single turbo (I had a GM HFV6 with a single turbo in a 2011 Saab 9-5 Aero), so I think the ATS-V setup would actually fit better.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
The only problem with the ats-v is it doesn’t have an lt1

You’d be crazy to swap in an ats-v motor instead of an lt1, which in turn makes it crazy not to swap in an lt1 instead, which in turn makes it crazy not sell your camaro and buy an ss
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
Joker75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
The only problem with the ats-v is it doesn’t have an lt1

You’d be crazy to swap in an ats-v motor instead of an lt1, which in turn makes it crazy not to swap in an lt1 instead, which in turn makes it crazy not sell your camaro and buy an ss
If all he is looking for is a turbo v6, there is nothing crazy about going with an ATS-V swap. The ATS-V is already close to SS horsepower, and with small tweaks, could be a very formidable powertrain.

No matter what option you choose, there will almost always be a bigger, faster, more powerful option.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post
If all he is looking for is a turbo v6, there is nothing crazy about going with an ATS-V swap. The ATS-V is already close to SS horsepower, and with small tweaks, could be a very formidable powertrain.

No matter what option you choose, there will almost always be a bigger, faster, more powerful option.

Wouldn't trading for a used SS be less expensive? Engine swaps are very expensive if you pay someone to do it and you need a lot of equipment if you want to do it yourself.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #10
Joker75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quix View Post
Wouldn't trading for a used SS be less expensive? Engine swaps are very expensive if you pay someone to do it and you need a lot of equipment if you want to do it yourself.
Possibly. A lot of it would depend on how much you are capable of doing yourself, and how much effort you are willing to put into locating parts at a reasonable price. If you can find a good price on a pull out engine, and are capable of doing the install yourself, it's possible he could get it done for close to the same amount of money.

If it is someone who only owns a hammer and a couple screwdrivers, and would have to have someone else do everything, he would most likely be wiser to trade up to a SS.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #11
BOYD3800SII

instead of starting a new thread im piggy backing on this old one...I purchased some CTS-V turbos from a salvage yard on the cheap. I assumed they had the same bolt pattern and could easily bolt onto an LGX engine. Both the CTS-V twin turbo and ATS-V twin turbo have interchange part numbers so basically they would all work for those platforms. However take a close look at the turbine flange.... Here are both the drivers side and passenger side turbos. the other picture is a CNC cut flange based off an LGX exhaust manifold gasket.
Attached Images

Last edited by BOYD3800SII; 09-15-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: notify
Old 09-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
BOYD3800SII

Now take a look what happens when you place the flange on top of the turbine inlet. The bolt patterns don't line up. It is deceptively close, however he inlet hole is absolutely perfect.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #13
BOYD3800SII

The nice thing about the twin turbos is that the orientation is almost perfect to hang off the side of the LGX engine. The turbines attach at an angle. They can still be used by TIG or MIG welding the LGX flanges onto the turbine hosing and then drilling out the holes to match the bolt pattern. The flanges I am using are only 1/2 inch, and I might just need two on each side to get perfect clearance. The passenger side has a boatload of room for the turbo to fit even with minor modifications to the exhaust system The drivers side has a little less because the steering wheel shaft is partly in the way. I measured about 1.5 inches of clearance needed for the actual compressors to not make contact with the block. If I get the turbos mounted then I can remove the metal intake tubes and rotate the compressor housings to where I need them to go. Also, I am going to change out the wastegates because they are vacuum operated instead of boost operated. Also considering getting rid of the internal WGs by welding the pistons shut and then welding on a 35MM external WG. its alot of work but I think that with the modifications to the turbos that they will fit well on the motor.

Last edited by BOYD3800SII; 09-15-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
The nice thing about the twin turbos is that the orientation is almost perfect to hang off the side of the LGX engine. The turbines attach at an angle. They can still be used by TIG or MIG welding the LGX flanges onto the turbine hosing and then drilling out the holes to match the bolt pattern. The flanges I am using are only 1/2 inch, and I might just need two on each side to get perfect clearance. The passenger side has a boatload of room for the turbo to fit even with minor modifications to the exhaust system The drivers side has a little less because the steering wheel shaft is partly in the way. I measured about 1.5 inches of clearance needed for the actual compressors to not make contact with the block. If I get the turbos mounted then I can remove the metal intake tubes and rotate the compressor housings to where I need them to go. Also, I am going to change out the wastegates because they are vacuum operated instead of boost operated. Also considering getting rid of the internal WGs by welding the pistons shut and then welding on a 35MM external WG. its alot of work but I think that with the modifications to the turbos that they will fit well on the motor.
Why not just try the ATS-V manifolds?

Secondly, what do you mean in bold?

Lastly, yes, lay a bead where the flapper shaft exits the turbine housing while the flapper is closed. Then just make a WG feed port in the manifold or turbine housing.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote