Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #15
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Thank you very much guys, appreciate every response. Good call on fixing the truck yourself, JT58, it was simply not an option for me. Indeed it could've been much worse, I'm fortunately all right, and nothing sears in like learning the hard way, oh well.

She's going in for the PPF wrap on Friday.
For sure glad no one was hurt- that is the main thing in any accident. It's upsetting enough to be involved in an accident and as long as you learn from the error (and correct it forever) you are good to go.

I still remember 45 years ago my first accident in my very first vehicle- a Gen 1 Bronco. It was a rainy day and the roof was leaking in the back somewhere. I took my eyes off of the road for a second to look to see where the leak was coming from. I ran a stop sign and broadsided a car. No one hurt and I fixed the Bronco myself with junk yard parts.

To this day I remember that accident and anytime I attempt to look away from the road- to look for something in the car- rattle, leak, something fell on the floor, etc. that accident comes into my mind and I keep my eyes on the road and do not look away. I learned my lesson well and it wiil never happen again.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Glad you are ok and the repair is back to normal.

I'm confused by this:

(waiting one second too long for stabilitrak to kick in, to avoid overcorrecting into oncoming traffic, big mistake)

What do you mean by waiting? Stabilitrak is on all the time and although Camaro and Corvette give you a long leash, you don't wait for it. It's just on and IF on should keep the car pretty stable. And when you say big mistake, if you had Stabilitrak on how is it a mistake?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #17
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Glad everyone's okay. I have never been in an accident but I had a few close misses and I also saw one happen right in front of my eyes. It was a T intersection and I am at the lower intersection of the T waiting at the red light. The light turned yellow for the other 2 sides, there was a car that ran yellow going straight and another car that was doing a left turn as the light is turning yellow. Bam. I learned my lesson there about doing left turns carefully.

Making mistakes are fine as long as you learn from it and it doesn't happen again.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Glad to hear that you and your Camaro are doing okay arpad_m.��
Old 06-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Glad to hear and great advice. One other variable is the extra power your car has. That makes reaction and correction even more critical. Glad to hear someone did great work on your car too.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Arpad - I'm sorry to hear this happened. Relieved that you're OK and it's great to hear you got a really good repair job done on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'm confused by this:

(waiting one second too long for stabilitrak to kick in, to avoid overcorrecting into oncoming traffic, big mistake)

What do you mean by waiting? Stabilitrak is on all the time and although Camaro and Corvette give you a long leash, you don't wait for it. It's just on and IF on should keep the car pretty stable. And when you say big mistake, if you had Stabilitrak on how is it a mistake?
It reads to me like the stabilitrak didn't seem to be doing enough soon enough and arpad was afraid of having it suddenly add a stronger correction on top of his own and end up with the double dose of corrections sending him into the oncoming traffic.

It's at least possible that all those conditions that contributed to poor tire grip and loss of control in the first place were at least initially limiting what the stabilitrak could effectively do.

I've actually heard of one case where a stability control action added to the human driver correction, so that can happen. Fortunately that instance did not involve other traffic or an 'off', and fortunately I've only heard of just that one so far.

Norm
Old 06-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #21
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
This almost same scenario happened to me last year, I remember you helped me out a while back for the RS headlight harness.

If you need anything lmk
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
I messed up
Now that you mention it, I do realize now you've been mia. Glad all is well again and it was more or less "just a lesson learned".
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #23
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
arpad_m, glad it worked out as well as you could expect.

What driving mode were you in when it happened?

I ask because a few months back when it still pretty cold for the Supercar 3 tires, I put mine into Competitive Mode, which is supposed to turn off TC but leave some degree of StabiliTrak on, and next thing I knew, the rear spun 90 degrees on me before I could react. From past experience, I think Tour or Sport should be more aggressive StabiliTrak, but not sure.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #24
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Thanks again everyone for the support, much appreciated. I know it's on me and my relative lack of skill, but I'm learning, hopefully First accident ever with me behind the wheel (rode shotgun into two when I was younger), and being a recovering perfectionist I sure know how to rub it in with myself, didn't sleep at all the first night after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Glad you are ok and the repair is back to normal.

I'm confused by this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It reads to me like the stabilitrak didn't seem to be doing enough soon enough and arpad was afraid of having it suddenly add a stronger correction on top of his own and end up with the double dose of corrections sending him into the oncoming traffic.
Yep, what Norm says. I simply overthought the whole thing, waited for over a second doing nothing with no steering input at all, because I remember another time when I deliberately triggered a similar slip to see how much the car intervenes, it pulled the rear straight fairly quickly and forcefully. Again, this is on me, not trying to blame the computer, especially since I added extra power, should've applied gradual correction instead of just waiting, as Redlinez also noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
arpad_m, glad it worked out as well as you could expect.

What driving mode were you in when it happened?

I ask because a few months back when it still pretty cold for the Supercar 3 tires, I put mine into Competitive Mode, which is supposed to turn off TC but leave some degree of StabiliTrak on, and next thing I knew, the rear spun 90 degrees on me before I could react. From past experience, I think Tour or Sport should be more aggressive StabiliTrak, but not sure.
I was in sport mode and gave too much gas in a very slight turn for the conditions (cold pavement, cold new tires, mind distracted with unrelated crap).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:38 AM   #25
SicSixXx

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Amen brother. Glad you are ok and hopefully looking into the cause of frustration that were distracting you!!
SicSixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #26
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
2018 Camaro 2SS
G7E A8 NPP MRC NAV
Magnuson Heartbeat TVS2300 | Roto-Fab CAI | JMS PowerMAX voltage booster
Soler LT5 95mm TB | 1LE replica wheels | BMR rear cradle lockout | Jannetty Racing custom tune.
This just seems so crazy to lose control, but then I think about how an auto is more than happy to downshift to peak power/torque. I just never ever seem to experience anything similar with a manual and have to think a lot of these issues (people losing control on streets) is due to flooring it in an auto vs. manual.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #27
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This just seems so crazy to lose control, but then I think about how an auto is more than happy to downshift to peak power/torque. I just never ever seem to experience anything similar with a manual and have to think a lot of these issues (people losing control on streets) is due to flooring it in an auto vs. manual.
You're making a good point in general, although not for this case, I was in the middle of the rev range at maybe 35-40% throttle and the trans didn't try to downshift. My [tuned] A8 is not unreasonably eager with downshifts even in sport mode, unless performance shift mode is activated, and even I'm not stupid enough to do that in 45-50° weather

In my experience this stepping out of the rear is a potential issue in 3.5-4k rpm, high torque, low/uneven traction situations, already present when the car was stock and obviously more pronounced since I got the Maggie. The driver is expected to manage it, which I failed to do this one time.

BTW the new front end and the mirrors are now wrapped in Xpel, making it easier to concentrate on actual driving instead of worrying about pesky rock chips all the time.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #28
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
D&M Auto Body in Rockaway. Unfortunately, they were no strangers (met them through wifey's mishaps), and they always did good and thorough work. Worked through everything properly with full OEM and exact aftermarket replacements, even put on a new Velossa big mouth for the one that got demolished—they called me and asked what that "bunch of glossy black plastic shards" was coming from, heh ("must have been some kind of ram air").
I know D&M well, went there last year and they assessed my sh!tty GM paint job. They were actually the ones that found my summit white bumper had hyper blue paint underneath, on a new car. Would have gone to them for the work as well, but they're not a GM authorized facility so didn't have that option.

Glad you got her fixed.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote