Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
Splitter question and the plastic air dams

I’m gonna be installing a new splitter soon but had one question for those that have already installed a splitter. The two plastic air dams in front of the tires. Does the splitter attach in any of those air deflector holes or are the front bumper/fascia holes seperate from them. Reason I ask is because my car does not have the air dams. They were removed previously. So if I need to use those holes for the new splitter I will need the hardware that was there originally. Just curious. Thanks.
Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystroh View Post
I’m gonna be installing a new splitter soon but had one question for those that have already installed a splitter. The two plastic air dams in front of the tires. Does the splitter attach in any of those air deflector holes or are the front bumper/fascia holes seperate from them. Reason I ask is because my car does not have the air dams. They were removed previously. So if I need to use those holes for the new splitter I will need the hardware that was there originally. Just curious. Thanks.
I think they use like 1 or 2 holes from them.

I’d think the splitter would come with its own hardware though?
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
I think it depends on the splitter. My splitter used the outermost screw holes for the deflector. The splitter itself was molded to accommodate the deflector. A lot of people just remove the deflector altogether. I figure gm put it there for a reason so...I kept it.

FYI. This thread will probably get moved. Seems the moderators are busy moving threads around lately.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Jaystroh

I’m going with the Rpi design one so I’ll have to see. The install video RPI did had a car without the air dams on it and they didn’t mention anything about it lol. Thanks for the replies
Old 06-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I have the RPI splitter on my car. I'll have to look, but if I remember correctly, it did use one or two of the holes on each side. I also recall that it did NOT come with additional hardwarde so you may need to run out to the auto parts store. Pretty sure it used those same body screws GM has been using forever.
Abubaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
Jaystroh

Cool thanks! I think I might have some of those screws. The ones with attached washer I think. hopefully the clips are still good where those air dams were. The dealer is messing with my front end next week so won’t be able to mess with it until after that.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Cool thanks! I think I might have some of those screws. The ones with attached washer I think. hopefully the clips are still good where those air dams were. The dealer is messing with my front end next week so won’t be able to mess with it until after that.
Why are they messing up your front end?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Just stuck my head up under there....big head...tight fit!!! LOL -but seriously. The first two holes, going from outside to inside, are shared by both the air dam and the RPI splitter. The air dam does have a third hole, but it is NOT shared.
Abubaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #9
Jaystroh

Cool good to know! I found a couple of the correct bolts for it so should be good to go hopefully! Thanks again for confirming!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #10
Jaystroh

Their hooking me up with some front end repairs for the inconvenience of some other work they did. (Long story) Fixing rock chips and scratches. Should look brand new hopefully when their done!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Most splitters use the holes where the air dam is. Its not a big deal, if the air dams were there before the threaded clips that held it should still be there. Your new splitter should come with the screws needed to go in those clips if it is using those clips too. If I remember correctly there are 12 self tapping screws. If for some reason the clips aren't there you can take one to a hardware, or parts store and buy them.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #12
Jaystroh

Cool thanks. I think I should be good. It looks like one of the inner clips are missing but I’m hoping that’s one of the holes that won’t get used. My pops should have some spare clips in his ridiculous collection of spare parts lol!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:46 AM   #13
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
I’m going with the Rpi design one so I’ll have to see. The install video RPI did had a car without the air dams on it and they didn’t mention anything about it lol. Thanks for the replies
That splitter retrofits the original are dams and you will need the screws that they came with.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #14
Jaystroh

Sounds good. Two screws were still in the old holes luckily. The two I was able to scrounge up were a little longer but I think that’s ok since I’m doubling up material. ��