Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #15
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I use the SM Arnold Speedy Prep Towel (fine grade).

While it's more expensive at around $35, it lasts up to 100 uses, I have over 40 uses on mine in the two years I've owned it, and it still performs as new.

May be overkill for someone who just does their own car, but if you own several cars, or do any detailing for others, it pays for itself easily.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I use the SM Arnold Speedy Prep Towel (fine grade).

While it's more expensive at around $35, it lasts up to 100 uses, I have over 40 uses on mine in the two years I've owned it, and it still performs as new.

May be overkill for someone who just does their own car, but if you own several cars, or do any detailing for others, it pays for itself easily.
Good point. If you are just doing your own Cars, once a year, the $15 fine sponge is more than enuf......

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-spe...ine-grade.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #17
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
My hand tells me if I need to clay my car. When the car is clean and I run my hand over the car the amount of surface contamination I can feel determines if I need to clay my car or not.

Otherwise as said, once a year my entire car including the glass get a clay bar session.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #18
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
using clay is old. use the glove. works faster and just as good if not better. plus it takes 1/3 of the time and you can do it right after you wash the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
My hand tells me if I need to clay my car. When the car is clean and I run my hand over the car the amount of surface contamination I can feel determines if I need to clay my car or not.

Otherwise as said, once a year my entire car including the glass get a clay bar session.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Those that use the glove or the other types of particulate removal other than clay, how many uses do you get out of it before you have to toss it?
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #20
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Those that use the glove or the other types of particulate removal other than clay, how many uses do you get out of it before you have to toss it?
I use a sponge 4 years old. Still good. The eraser side does not really wear, you would only toss it if it gets damaged.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #21
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I use a sponge 4 years old. Still good. The eraser side does not really wear, you would only toss it if it gets damaged.
+1

I've been using the same pad that attaches to the DA for about a year now (100+ uses) and it still is effective.

I believe the company line is 50 uses, but ive gotten much more out of it in my experience.
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #22
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy8784 View Post
+1

I've been using the same pad that attaches to the DA for about a year now (100+ uses) and it still is effective.

I believe the company line is 50 uses, but ive gotten much more out of it in my experience.
I've been interested in trying one of these for cars I'm going to compound/polish anyway. Seems like it would be even faster, and I suppose any marring from it would be very light anyway on average or hard paint.

If your doing a car with softer paint though, can it cause excessive marring?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #23
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I'm for sure the rook here but I used the nanoskin sponge for the first time over the weekend on Glen's recommendation. WAY easier than clay. Faster, easier, better in basically every way.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy8784 View Post
+1

With traditional clay or sponge I can feel the containments and sometimes have work an area more to get it all. It seems that with DA pad version you wouldn't have that "feeling" and wouldn't know if your not getting everything.

Ive been thinking about getting the DA pad version because I will be doing my Suburban and fathers Tahoe soon and this would be huge time saver.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:04 PM   #25
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I guess I don't understand, with the clay, the particulates come off and get embedded in the clay. With the glove or eraser, does it pull it out of the paint, leave it loose on the car and then you wash it off the car? Or if it stays embedded in the eraser or glove, wouldn't it get loaded with particulate matter after a few uses on the car?

Just seeking to understand, I've never used anything but clay so trying to understand the new technology
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #26
Glen e

Yup. Loosens and the you rinse off....I guess… I've never really thought about it too much. When somebody I know tells me over at one of the detailing sites it's the way to go, I got to try it. Once I tried it and it works, I don't really look into the technology to much.....
Old 05-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
Burly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I guess I don't understand, with the clay, the particulates come off and get embedded in the clay. With the glove or eraser, does it pull it out of the paint, leave it loose on the car and then you wash it off the car? Or if it stays embedded in the eraser or glove, wouldn't it get loaded with particulate matter after a few uses on the car?

Just seeking to understand, I've never used anything but clay so trying to understand the new technology
Last time I used the sponge to "clay" or decontaminate I could see all the grit in the bottom of the bucket when I was done.
I'm constantly dunking the sponge into a water filled bucket, squeeze the sponge so it soaks up water then squeeze it out, then spray skin surface of sponge with lube (warm water and Dawn) and also liberally spray the surface I'm working on. I think, since contaminants stick the sponge you need to rinse it off. This the method I use, it works for me.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
Burly

Also I do rinse with hose nozzle set to "sweep" the area I worked on when I'm done with it.