Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Crystal Seal - not just for looks!

So, I used Glen E's process for applying the Blackfire Crystal Seal about a month ago. As advertised, the car looked great. Even after rain or pollen, a simple 10-min rinseless wash and the car looked like it had 4-hours of wax applied.

Then, some idiot sideswiped me. She was merging onto the interstate, and my car evidently got in her way. Long story short (hit-n-run, 100mph car chase, police, etc.), her mirror hit my fender (the top crease where it goes from vertical to horizontal for the hood) and then the front of my mirror. It was minor, but our mirror hit hard enough that it broke the front body-colored piece off her mirror (it went flying).

I got home, and sure enough, I could see some white scuff marks where we had made contact. I figured I was going to have to do some paint work, or get a shop to deal with it. But, my car was dusty (pollen). So I did a regular rinseless wash to get rid of the pollen so I could really see what I was dealing with.

After the wash, I looked at the scuff marks. But, I couldn't see them. As in, COULD NOT FIND WHERE WE HAD HIT. I pulled the car out into the sun. Still nothing.

Now, I've been sideswiped a few times here in New Orleans (drivers suck and evidently I'm invisible). Always in my black G8 (no crystal seal or paint protectant). Even small hits would leave white scuff marks. But, with this Crystal Seal on there . . . NOTHING.

I'm convinced that the seal adds some strength to the paint. Or, not to the "paint" itself, but in a layer above the paint.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote