Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #29
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Wife took her 2014 gen 5 in for service a couple of weeks ago and while she was waiting looked at the gen 6 they had, called me up and said she wanted a new one, I told her no 4cyl and the salesman told me to come over a drive it... Took it for a ride and was impressed about how it performed over the 2014 v6 we had.... Last weekend we spent the day leaf peeping in Vermont and had a blast, I'm turbo addicted...
Throw a couple mods on it, and you'll be significantly faster than the V6 could have ever dreamed of being.

Downpipe $200
E85 kit $250
Tune $400

No v6 is gonna give you the power you'd get from those 3 mods.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #30
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Throw a couple mods on it, and you'll be significantly faster than the V6 could have ever dreamed of being.

Downpipe $200
E85 kit $250
Tune $400

No v6 is gonna give you the power you'd get from those 3 mods.
How many HP can be expected with these three? Also how would the MPG be affected, and would engine life be decreased?
Giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #31
mbavon

Drives: 50 ann. Rs, V6, sunroof, nav, spl
Location: Rochester NY way upstate 3 hours from Toronto on Lake Ontario
V6

I have been astonished. I have the V6 and during my commute to work I average 29 miles to the gallon. It is getting better mileage than my 2011 Nissan Maxima which required high octane gas I have a commute that is mostly highway but, i have to say I am so impressed with the mpg that I get with my Camaro. I have to fill up far less often than I have in the past. For me 335 HP is all I need. When I test drove 2 2.0 v4, I thought the car lagged somewhat off the line and just did not like that.
mbavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #32
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I could not afford a CTS-V and the ATS-V didn't exits and probably could not afford either. Besides I already owned a Hemi R/T 6sp manual.
Did I ever mention I traded in my CTS-V coupe for my ATS? Eh, I needed AWD at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
How many HP can be expected with these three? Also how would the MPG be affected, and would engine life be decreased?
I would say you should get to at least 285 to the tire with those mods. With a GOOD tune, expect more. Cruising MPG wouldn't be affected, perhaps slight increase with less restrictive exhaust and a GOOD tune. E85 uses on average 30% more fuel than 93 octane E10, but conversely it tends to cost less (especially in states which it is subsidized). Overall, wouldn't expect much of a fuel consumption change at cruise. I don't believe engine life would be appreciably compromised. I've driven lots of modded cars, lots of miles. However, it's down to how GOOD the tune is, how you drive it, and how you maintain it. Drive it like a normal person, and keep up with service, should last just as long as the OEM setup.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #33
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Don't the 2.0Ts have 275 at the wheels stock? I'm really curious about a tune but it's still quite foreign to me
Giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #34
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Don't the 2.0Ts have 275 at the wheels stock? I'm really curious about a tune but it's still quite foreign to me
That's a debateable issue at the moment. Mine ran that at the wheels stock most will run about 240 to 250 RWHP stock. Of course on my stock pull it reached 156 MPH aswell and the temps were an autumn in New England cool.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #35
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
That's a debateable issue at the moment. Mine ran that at the wheels stock most will run about 240 to 250 RWHP stock. Of course on my stock pull it reached 156 MPH aswell and the temps were an autumn in New England cool.
I think yours was a freak dyno. I used to have an ATS 2.0T and everyone on the forums was in that 230-250 whp range.

I've been noticing that more lately, with dynos giving weirdly high numbers. Jalopnik had an article about the Focus RS making like 330 whp (350 rated crank) and an ATSV making like 450 whp (460 crank)... when normally those cars dyno around 20-30hp less.

I highly doubt it's engine variance, since tolerances on modern engines are so much tighter. Just shows you how little value a dyno number actually is except in A-B comparisons, figuring out what you gained.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #36
polbit

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT V6 Auto
I have a V6 and a coworker just bought the Turbo within days of mine, both 2LT RS, so we've compared them more than few times.

Pros of V6:
- Measurably faster, especially off-line
- No turbo lag (although it is minimal on the turbo, except off-line)
- Sounds much better
- Top-end rush
- Regular gas

Pros of Turbo:
- Cheaper
- Easier to get extra HP out of a turbo engine

I definitely like the V6 a lot more, and with a once I add CAI, exhaust and tune, I won't be changing anything else. Pointless to spend big money when SS is only few grand more. This is my first Camaro ever, and my next one will definitely be a V8.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #37
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRedFirebird View Post
I think yours was a freak dyno. I used to have an ATS 2.0T and everyone on the forums was in that 230-250 whp range.

I've been noticing that more lately, with dynos giving weirdly high numbers. Jalopnik had an article about the Focus RS making like 330 whp (350 rated crank) and an ATSV making like 450 whp (460 crank)... when normally those cars dyno around 20-30hp less.

I highly doubt it's engine variance, since tolerances on modern engines are so much tighter. Just shows you how little value a dyno number actually is except in A-B comparisons, figuring out what you gained.
My cars always seem to be freaks... Guess i'm fine with that long as they don't break but to freak dyno twice and other cars at the second dyno day pulling what they should be is my argument. But either way I got the stock then the aftermarket and the gains are right in line with what's to be expected un-tuned and that was the real purpose of the two dynos anyway.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #38
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
GM rates them at the crank, with all accessories and exhaust manifolds attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRedFirebird View Post

There are a lot of variables in 'dynoing'. Manual transmission cars tend to have less drivetrain loss, translating to more power at the wheels. You can alter dyno readings (on rollers) by changing the placement of the car, how hard it's strapped down, even tire air pressure! Another big secret is that there is much less money in a stingy dyno. People want bragging rights, and if they can't get them on your dyno, they will take their money elsewhere. You and I might realize that a dyno is only a tuning tool, but there are MANY more that view the graph as THE HOLY GOSPEL ACCORDING TO DYNOJET, amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
I have a V6 and a coworker just bought the Turbo within days of mine, both 2LT RS, so we've compared them more than few times.

Pros of V6:
- Measurably faster, especially off-line
- No turbo lag (although it is minimal on the turbo, except off-line)
- Sounds much better
- Top-end rush
- Regular gas

Pros of Turbo:
- Cheaper
- Easier to get extra HP out of a turbo engine

I definitely like the V6 a lot more, and with a once I add CAI, exhaust and tune, I won't be changing anything else. Pointless to spend big money when SS is only few grand more. This is my first Camaro ever, and my next one will definitely be a V8.
Your race results would probably be different if your coworker knew how to drive. You don't flat foot a turbo car when drag racing. You brake torque it to build as much boost as the brakes will hold, while maintaining traction, then let 'er rip tater chip!

As far as a V8 being a few grand more... Well, I've seen plenty of 2LT V6's under $30k brand new. And the cheapest 2017 2SS listed on cars.com nationwide is $36350, which is a manual. So you're talking at least $7-9k more, which is over 20% higher. Also, there are VERY few at this advertised price. Heck, there are only 42 cars listed under $40000.00. I know I can get near SS performance, for less than $4k out of the turbo while having all the same stuff, better fuel economy, and lower insurance.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #39
polbit

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT V6 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Your race results would probably be different if your coworker knew how to drive. You don't flat foot a turbo car when drag racing. You brake torque it to build as much boost as the brakes will hold, while maintaining traction, then let 'er rip tater chip!

As far as a V8 being a few grand more... Well, I've seen plenty of 2LT V6's under $30k brand new. And the cheapest 2017 2SS listed on cars.com nationwide is $36350, which is a manual. So you're talking at least $7-9k more, which is over 20% higher. Also, there are VERY few at this advertised price. Heck, there are only 42 cars listed under $40000.00. I know I can get near SS performance, for less than $4k out of the turbo while having all the same stuff, better fuel economy, and lower insurance.
Yes, he could be faster, but it is a brand new car and all I was comparing just a normal start.

I got my V6 for little over $29k, and if I got to the dealership 3 days earlier, I could've had a 2SS for $35k, their last '16 SS. Probably could've negotiated it down another $1k. But even at the $6k difference, besides V8 you also get the magnetic ride, which rocks. Stock, with full warranty. And sky is the limit if you want to mod it... Yes, Yes I do have a little buyer's remorse...
Old 10-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #40
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Yes, he could be faster, but it is a brand new car and all I was comparing just a normal start.

I got my V6 for little over $29k, and if I got to the dealership 3 days earlier, I could've had a 2SS for $35k, their last '16 SS. Probably could've negotiated it down another $1k. But even at the $6k difference, besides V8 you also get the magnetic ride, which rocks. Stock, with full warranty. And sky is the limit if you want to mod it... Yes, Yes I do have a little buyer's remorse...
I wouldn't have buyers remorse the 3.6 LGX is a solid engine and I had just over 160k on my 3.6 LLT when I traded it in. The V6 can sustain bolt-ons without causing the same damage and wear and tear our LTG's may incur but only time will tell.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #41
ChicagoTommy

Quote:

All I'm saying is a normal start for a turbo car should involve building boost. It's how GM and most reviews determine the 0-60 time.

MRC isn't a big selling point for me. I've had several cars equipped with it, and unless you're driving at the absolute limits of the car, it's pretty unnoticeable.

I think once more people realize the platforms potential, we will see some really impressive things happening. I helped a good friend many years ago with his Evos. His 'race' car Evo 8 dipped into the high 8's in the quarter, and dynoed over 1100awhp. His 'street' car Evo 9 went mid 11's in the quarter with less than $1k in mods on the stock turbo. I think the LTG has the capacity to equal the performance of the 4g63. It's a very exciting platform that is wholly benefited by the V8's existence. Look at all the suspension and body components that wouldn't be available without the V8 cars leading the way in mods. That just makes everything cheaper for all 3 engines.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #42
cohete_camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2ss Red Line Edition
I have a Gen V6...and my friend just got the 2.0... off line I took him by a couple of car lenghts... we then got on the expressway to simply do a rolling take off.. when we both punched it, he got out for a second but then I passed him by.... Sorry, V6 is better in my book...and slowly but surely i'll be adding little tid-bits to the engine, etc...
cohete_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote