Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Drives: Black 2017 ZL1
HP Tuners Prep for MAF and SD

Hey all,
Learning to tune my'17 ZL1.
Been switching back and forth trying to tune MAF and speed density but having issues getting consistent numbers when logging. I set everything up as shown in videos from goatrope garage/tuning101.com, slowly and step by step so I don't miss anything but noticed during MAF logging I get lean spikes when shifting, so I wonder if clutch fuel cutoff is still kicking in. The drive feels much better on my speed density tune but with what I'm seeing during my MAF runs I want to make sure I don't have the same issue bleeding over.
Also, I'm unable to disable closed loop by changing o2 readiness voltage or closed loop delay time do any tips there would be appreciated. Right now I disable closed loop through the scanner but it turns itself back on on occasion.
I guess ultimately my question is what do you guys tune in preparation for MAF and speed density logging and tuning?
Also looking for any and all resources to learn from.
Appreciate any guidance!
jtblckmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Tschw

Drives: 16 HBM 2SS
Did you disable DFCO?
Tschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschw View Post
Did you disable DFCO?
Yes.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Tschw

Drives: 16 HBM 2SS
My bad, I meant Clutch Fuel Cutoff CFCO. From what I've read, the CFCO overrides DFCO settings.
Tschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschw View Post
My bad, I meant Clutch Fuel Cutoff CFCO. From what I've read, the CFCO overrides DFCO settings.
I have both disabled but cfco seems to be activating during my MAF logging runs.

Edit:
Just did some tweaking and it doesn't look like it's happening during SD logging, just on MAF only. SD log has its own problems but this doesn't seem to be among them.

Last edited by jtblckmaro; 05-18-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
BDPhoto519

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Yeah for some reason I cant get DFCO to fully disable and I have to manually disable LTFT's in the VCM Scanner itself as well.

Kind of annoying.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDPhoto519 View Post
Yeah for some reason I cant get DFCO to fully disable and I have to manually disable LTFT's in the VCM Scanner itself as well.

Kind of annoying.
Very.
I've gotten it close by just keeping some pressure on the accelerator during shifts but still, would love to be able to get it done right.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have collected tunes from various tuners accros the country, all I have seen are doing MAF only above 800rpms or so and disable VVE tuning above that. I run my car in MAF only with no issues. There are various methods to disable the DFCO, some mess the the RPM enable/disable, I just max out the ECT table. You might try that.

I recently have been posting up some videos on the tuning process I am using for my car. Maybe something in there that will help you. Good Luck.

steelheadrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Why is accepting the lean spike a problem? I read the thread and I could swear this sounds exactly like tuning on my LTG turbo 2 liter. And why bother with the Sd tables they would only be reference during warm up and your not racing or demanding TQ during warmup and between shifts. Why bother with SD, all you have to do is reset LTFT a few times after setting the MAF calibration. I have he same idea on a tuning channel for LTG when I can I will check that out.

Mini me.
W/

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There has been some chatter on HPTuners that running MAF and a lot of stock everything-else (save for some more radical combinations that need it) is a good way to go. There is even talk of leaving VVE and VVT stock unless your PIDs are showing running into those thresholds. It's a lot of learning...

Make sure you've turned off the temperature variables in your fueling, too. I don't have access to my HPTuners at the moment, but I recall some tables for temperature, among RPMs and such, that you might have to disable, too.

Check that you don't have any exhaust leaks ahead of or around your WB. That will show lean, too, if I recall.

Finally - make sure you update to the current versions in HPTuners. I just learned, that if you are running the older MPVI (which I am), to only run the BETA versions, as, I guess, that's what is compatible and most current. I, too, have been watching GoatRope and some of Tactical, and both are helpful. GR has a couple playlists that would be applicable to us, including the tuning he showcases on HIS truck. There are gems all over many of those videos. Make sure to catch his MAF-tuning from many months ago. It goes through set-up and driving, and changing. His videos help me a lot.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadrob View Post
I have collected tunes from various tuners accros the country, all I have seen are doing MAF only above 800rpms or so and disable VVE tuning above that. I run my car in MAF only with no issues. There are various methods to disable the DFCO, some mess the the RPM enable/disable, I just max out the ECT table. You might try that.

I recently have been posting up some videos on the tuning process I am using for my car. Maybe something in there that will help you. Good Luck.

Great videos man, thanks!
Applied some of your process and got my part throttle dialed in today 🤘
Old 05-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
There has been some chatter on HPTuners that running MAF and a lot of stock everything-else (save for some more radical combinations that need it) is a good way to go. There is even talk of leaving VVE and VVT stock unless your PIDs are showing running into those thresholds. It's a lot of learning...

Make sure you've turned off the temperature variables in your fueling, too. I don't have access to my HPTuners at the moment, but I recall some tables for temperature, among RPMs and such, that you might have to disable, too.

Check that you don't have any exhaust leaks ahead of or around your WB. That will show lean, too, if I recall.

Finally - make sure you update to the current versions in HPTuners. I just learned, that if you are running the older MPVI (which I am), to only run the BETA versions, as, I guess, that's what is compatible and most current. I, too, have been watching GoatRope and some of Tactical, and both are helpful. GR has a couple playlists that would be applicable to us, including the tuning he showcases on HIS truck. There are gems all over many of those videos. Make sure to catch his MAF-tuning from many months ago. It goes through set-up and driving, and changing. His videos help me a lot.
I haven't seen those posts, I'll check it out. I'm subscribed to GRG on patreon and Kyle has been helping along the way.
If the temp variables you're talking about are the ivt gain tables and such, I've 1'ed all those out so no multipliers are throwing me off.
Good tips tho, appreciate the insight!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #13
jtblckmaro
JtblckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Why is accepting the lean spike a problem? I read the thread and I could swear this sounds exactly like tuning on my LTG turbo 2 liter. And why bother with the Sd tables they would only be reference during warm up and your not racing or demanding TQ during warmup and between shifts. Why bother with SD, all you have to do is reset LTFT a few times after setting the MAF calibration. I have he same idea on a tuning channel for LTG when I can I will check that out.

Mini me.
W/

I'm learning to tune, so not leaving anything undone. If I accept a lean spike that can be tuned out then it just doesn't seem like I finished the job. Same with the SD part, if it gets referenced anywhere at any time, I'll tune it properly best I can. Maybe I'm going overboard but like I said, learning to tune so don't know enough to disregard any part of the process yet
Old 10-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
pavetim

Drives: firebird
How do you turn off VVE so o ly it runs im MAF? I disabled my ltft, o2 sensors although the one i disconnected for the wb gave an engine light, disabled dfco, dusavked car protection. What else am i missing? My stft are still active, in fact the one passenger side is where i used the wb in place of the stock o2 and its pulling 26% stft
pavetim is offline   Reply With Quote