Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Scottycamaroz28

Drives: 2017 hyper blue 2ss camaro
GAUGES GO DEAD

I know this is my first post and it will be pretty long so bear with me.

I have been searching this forum for almost a month now without any luck. I have a 2017 2SS and I love this car, but my dash cluster keeps going dead while I drive it. It stays lit up but none of the gauges register and are all at zero. At the same time all my warning messages for every system show up, my heat sometimes goes out and my turn signal indicators don't click. This all goes out while I am driving so I am left without any heat, safety features, or gauges to know what is going on with the car.

I purchased the car back in October certified used and it came with one key. The out of state dealer I got the car from said they would ship me the second key so I thought no problem. I got the key in the mail about a week later. it looked identical so I tried it out and it didn't work. I already had a scheduled trans and dif flush at my local dealer so I had them see why the key didn't work.

They said the key I got belonged to a different car already and that new 2015 and up gm cars the keys fobs can only ever programmed to one vehicle its entire life so they could not program the 2nd fob I had. so I bought a second key fob new from the dealer and they tried to program and they were getting the same problem I described that I am still having. This all happened on a Friday so I left the car over the weekend.

Mid day Monday they call and say its all fixed and programmed and they drop it off at my house. I drive it Tuesday without any issues and then Wednesday (day before thanksgiving) the gauges go dead on my way home from work. so I dropped it off that night at the dealer that programmed the new key. They keep the car till the following Wednesday driving it 30+ miles, starting it multiple times and they cant get the car to mess up to be able to record it to send to gm even after they had the same problem when they tried to program the key. I pick the car back up but don't drive it for a week because of lost title issues with the dealer I bought it from.

I start driving the car again last Thursday and all is well. Drive it to work and home on Friday then go out for dinner and it messes up but comes back. Drove it all day Saturday running errands and no issues. drive it to work yesterday and it went out and stayed out the whole way there and on the way home. Up until this point it would always start. But I had to stop on my way home from work and the car would not start. I messed with it for 10 minutes and nothing. So I tried to remote start it and it worked so I could drive it home. I am scheduled with a different dealer tomorrow to hopefully get it all figured out.

One thing I noticed is that after driving all day during the day i had no issues with it and neither did the dealer. Its dark when I go to work and when I come home. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Scottycamaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Sadly, I don't have an answer for you. But with all the electronics on these newer cars, It could be anything. Most likely it's a loose wire or bad ground causing your problems. The hard part will be finding the culprit. As far as the selling dealer giving you a bogus key fob, I call them on it. Are you aware there is an actual key in the fob. The rear portion of the door handle comes off and you can then use the key to gain entry to your car. So the fake fob they sent won't have the proper key.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Scottycamaroz28

I am aware of the emergency key on the fob. Even that was wrong. I did call them out on it and sent them the invoice for the new fob and key blank. I wasn't charged for the program of the new key. I received a my reimbursement on Friday.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Scottycamaroz28

Dealer called and said it was corrosion in the connectors of the body harnesses in the rear bumper causing communication issues with the rest of the 15 or so modules in the car causing my dash and security issues.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Cechk01

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycamaroz28 View Post
Dealer called and said it was corrosion in the connectors of the body harnesses in the rear bumper causing communication issues with the rest of the 15 or so modules in the car causing my dash and security issues.
Good to know. Thanks for following up.
Cechk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
Kyleef210

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
my 2016 2ss is at the dealer right now for the same issue. Only difference is with mine all that happens when the car gets wet. I am assuming it's a corroded rear wiring harness issue as well but we shall see.
Kyleef210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
interesting. Which particular rear wiring connector is it corroding exactly?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Scottycamaroz28

I will have to check my paperwork to verify. They said they replaced one harness and cleaned out a few other harness connections. Been driving the car issue free since getting it back.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Flood damaged car.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
Kyleef210

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
when you get a chance please let us know which harness they replaced. would help us all with similar problems on the forums!
Kyleef210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Scottycamaroz28

Car was not a flood damage car. It was a certified used car with low enough miles that I still have plenty to go on the factory warranty and one previous owner. The harness that was replaced was part # 84319873.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
Socal_Camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro LS 2.0T
My gauges also went dead...

Hi Everyone,

The other day I was coming home on the freeway going about 60 coasting downhill in 4th when all of the gauges dropped to zero as the dashboard lights all came on at once. The engine was still purring and the radio still worked so I tried not to panic as I kept cruising down the highway. A minute or two goes by and I decide to flick the lights from auto to on to see if the head lights were still working. It wasn't dark out but the sun was starting to set. Soon as I played with the lights the gauges came back up like they do when the car starts, and the dash board lights went off / back to normal.

I did notice that it wiped my 0-60 saved time (5.8 seconds!)

It's only got 21,500 miles on it. only had 19500 when I got it! I just dropped the car back at the dealership today. We'll see what they say. Hoping it's an easy fix and I can give them back their loaner car... *sigh* Better to get it taken care of now under warranty right?

In the meantime I'm wondering who else might have heard of this issue?
Socal_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
Scottycamaroz28

My issue with the rear harness started out just like that. Driving normal at dusk, dawn night whenever my lights were on then all the gauges went to zero and all my warning lights and messages came on. Then they all came back on. This happened a few times. Conveniently it didn't happen at the dealer during the day. So I brought it to a different bigger dealer and the tech there found it needed the harness. They replaced my harness 2 weeks ago and I have been daily driving my car issue free since.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:26 PM   #14
2017Zl16spd

Drives: 2017 Camaro Zl1
Did anyone ever figure out the problem? Same thing happening to my 17 zl1, what rear harness?
2017Zl16spd is offline   Reply With Quote