#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-19-2024, 10:42 AM   #141
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
I didn't, and wouldn't, watch the video.
Why comment about it then?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:05 AM   #142
Nataphen

Drives: None
By the way, another question based on the mindset of the original post. How good of a car is a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE in the snow again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:27 AM   #143
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Where I am, with up to -32°F for weeks at a time I would have range and systems anxiety with the car keeping it and my self alive.

Yeah. I lived in Alberta from 1977 to 2021. -40, -50 happened every year. When it got cold (-30 or colder) I just let my truck run 24/7. Not really an option with an EV, then the grid goes down like last week.

SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:35 AM   #144
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
As a short-trip DD in warm climates when you have another vehicle for the "extreme moments of life" they're great, but EV's are no bueno for evacuating during and after hurricanes. Long lines at the half-broken charging stations and it's a Nova when the power's out for a week. How long does "camping mode" last anyway? (honest question, because it can also be a benefit as a power source when the house is dark).

I wouldn't use my ZL1 to evacuate a hurricane, but I can fit >10 gallons of gas in the trunk in a pinch if things go to sh!t with my family hauler ... so that's >500mi total range in the ZL1 if I drive it easy. Enough to get me far enough out of FL not to worry.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:54 AM   #145
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
As a short-trip DD in warm climates when you have another vehicle for the "extreme moments of life" they're great, but EV's are no bueno for evacuating during and after hurricanes. Long lines at the half-broken charging stations and it's a Nova when the power's out for a week. How long does "camping mode" last anyway? (honest question, because it can also be a benefit as a power source when the house is dark).

I wouldn't use my ZL1 to evacuate a hurricane, but I can fit >10 gallons of gas in the trunk in a pinch if things go to sh!t with my family hauler ... so that's >500mi total range in the ZL1 if I drive it easy. Enough to get me far enough out of FL not to worry.
I would have to disagree with this. This would be true assuming a gasoline paradigm. But if I’m on Hilton Head Island and there’s an evacuation called, and I have an EV with a 250 mile range, I can make it most of the way to Atlanta (and pretty much out of the evacuation zone) without having to worry about stopping for charge. I use this example because I did get evacuated from HHI many years ago. Only needed about 100 or so miles inland to be declared clear of the path. Evacuation route speeds are so slow that you have a very high probability of actually achieving maximum range. EVs are opposite gasoline cars in that they get their best mileage at city speeds and stop start driving and their worst mileage at highway speeds.

Good question on camping mode. I’ll have to ask on the Tesla site.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:21 PM   #146
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Straight from the Tesla universe. Camping in Canada in cold weather. Probably similar situation camping in Texas in hot weather. (Heavy AC use instead of heavy heater use)

https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y/...ficiency-test/
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-19-2024, 12:50 PM   #147
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Straight from the Tesla universe. Camping in Canada in cold weather. Probably similar situation camping in Texas in hot weather. (Heavy AC use instead of heavy heater use)

https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y/...ficiency-test/
Literally used 57% of the battery overnight (9:30 PM to 5:00 AM - 7.5hrs). So good enough for a single night emergency, but not for any additional time.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:02 PM   #148
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
HEY!! I am not THAT old. Geez!!
Maybe not gas v steam old, but I'm guessing you're powerglide old, or close to it anyway. Btw: I resemble that last remark myself!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:11 PM   #149
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Why comment about it then?
Because it was outrageously, stupendously, near paralyzingly funny. Plus, I'm allowed.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:30 PM   #150
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Maybe not gas v steam old, but I'm guessing you're powerglide old, or close to it anyway. Btw: I resemble that last remark myself!
Nope. I’m half-past THM400 and quarter to 440T4. One of my first jobs was production process layout including equipment acquisition for the “first ever GM 4-speed FWD transmission”. Powerglide was a faint memory to the older guys I worked with.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:04 PM   #151
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
At his current age, he just doesn't REMEMBER the powerslide.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:24 PM   #152
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl3 View Post
If you grew up in the 60's it was the L-88 'vette nobody wanted to buck up for to get the 400+ (more like really 500) HP. As I recall, that option was more than (maybe near) the base price of the car
I always dreamed of buying a 69’ Vette with an L88. That never happened, but GM if I remember correctly rated the L88 at a lower rpm than the next theoretically higher HP variant. I believe the L88 was 430 hp vs L89 435 hp for less money. I’ve long forgotten the other engine option codes. Anyway I guess they really didn’t want that engine option out there in public world. Rather a sneaky way to qualify for SCCA rules if I recall.
I actually think it’s cool that the factory tracking guide for the ZL1 recommends 100+ octane fuel. It’s reminiscent of the L88 fuel octane tag.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:04 AM   #153
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Exactly. Well said.
X2

The CLICK BAIT goes wild on this stuff.

EV has a place and a purpose for those that commute long distances every day and charge at home. Let the market dictate where it goes. Good for some and not for others.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:48 AM   #154
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
The thing is a Model S Plaid is not only quick in a straight line but its also corners amazingly well, better than a Camaro SS or ZL1, only a ZL1 1LE has an advantage. It pulls 1.08g on the skidpad.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

This is ALL part of what makes these vehicles amazingly fun to drive. The only thing you're "missing" is the sound of an ICE. There are pros and cons to that also, there's something amazingly fun about being so quick and stealthy. In the Plaid you can punch the throttle anywhere when you want to have fun without notifying everyone and every LEO in a 1/2 mile radius.
My concern is the extinction of my right to drive a car that has an infrastructure in place to keep me and others safe. As others have pointed out, our tax dollars shouldn’t be spent to prop up a technology that is not reliable enough for us as a society on a whole. That includes difficult decisions regarding charging these vehicles in inclement weather. I’m not against the technology when it is safe, efficient, affordable and reliable. No matter how people spin this, this technology is being subsidized by the government and the majority of the public can’t afford it. It’s not right that elite get $7500 subsidies for these EVs costing 35k at a minimum, when I know people that can’t even afford a used ICE car that costs $7500. It’s wrong for our government to grease the skids rather than let the market dictate what is best. Germany is already balking. They are revising the use of “biofuels” such as HVO100 (hydrated vegetable oil) for their diesel vehicles. Diesel vehicles in Germany are abundant and they are very reliable. HVO has been shown to be very environmentally friendly and decreases emissions by 95-100 percent with today’s technology. Diesel is actually cheaper per liter than gasoline in Europe. There is also development in biofuels for ICE vehicles. The Germans are saying this is the bridge until alternative EVs become more affordable, economical and reliable.
george is offline   Reply With Quote