Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-06-2023, 07:02 AM   #15
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
I moved on from autocross to doing road course track days after getting my 1LE, but the tire principle is quite similar.

Moving down to at lest 19's opens you up to way more tire choices that are a better fit for performance driving.

I still roll on the stock 20x10 - 20x11 because every time I am about to pull the trigger on a dedicated track 19" wheel/tire combo, something pops up that sucks away my "fun money"...
The only good tire I have found for the 20" are the Toyo R888R in 285 and 305.
I have heard mixed feedback about the R88Rs for our heavy cars as well.

I had to work with more "streetable" tire options.
My MPSS were a great "all-around" tire. I ran Nitto Invos for a few years which were "OK".
Not nearly as good as the MPSS but handled hot laps better then I expected.

What Joelster is saying is right. Stepping down to a 19" or 18" wheel that is at least 10-11" wide is the ticket.
More tire options available and you need as much cross-section as you can get for these heavy cars.

Just getting out and having fun in the car is most of it. Run what you got and see how you do!

Does the car push in corners with the staggered setup?

I have 285/35/20 all around and need new tires, but also added rear traction as I am making good power(close to 600whp). Wondering If going to an 11 inch rear and 305 will help or if it will not be compliant in corners?
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:14 AM   #16
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
Does the car push in corners with the staggered setup?

I have 285/35/20 all around and need new tires, but also added rear traction as I am making good power(close to 600whp). Wondering If going to an 11 inch rear and 305 will help or if it will not be compliant in corners?
It does push in the corners a little, but I can help it rotate with the throttle still.
I love the look of a big fat tire on the rears on the street, so that is the price I pay for wanting that look.

I am running 295/35R20 on the 10" wheels in front and 315/35R20 on the 11" wheels in the rear.
When the day finally comes where I get my dedicated track wheels/tires, I will be going with 19s with 305 tires at all 4 corners, like the Z/28.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote