Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #15
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Just another idiot ruining the car scene for everybody else. Unbelievable what goes on. People like this give us a bad name and we’re targeted because of it. If I could reform anything it would be drivers education. Way too easy to get a license.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #16
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
An asshole took the lives of 3 people doing something stupid, 22 with already a kid and a Camaro, clearly he can't take good life choices.

It is our duty to call out and shun these types of behaviors and people, only thing we have in common with them is the cars we have but our attitudes need to be better.

For me, I tend to take drives at 1-2 am on weekends and drive through various causeways, sometimes I chill, sometimes I go fast, but EVERY time I go fast I make sure to look around and verify (if I lose control, would I be the only one to die?), if yes, go fast, if I come close to a car, I slow down, overtake them a safe distance, and continue, never scare or bother other drives, never tailgate or follow close; other cars are revving in a red light? Rev with me, smile, wave, "nice car" and then be on your way like a normal person.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #17
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Does anyone want to comment on how there was a car basically parked (with people standing around) in the middle of the highway? I'm not trying to diminish the severity of what happened, or condoning the actions of the driver of the Camaro, but come on. This was an all around recipe for disaster. Sad to hear of the lives affected, and unfortunate for the car.

I'm not sure it was really "parked" there, I think the Camaro was going so fast that the other car looked like it was parked because it was going so much slower.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #18
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
I saw this, what a horrible thing. From what I read it was underground car meet and the kid was showing off by doing a “fly by.”
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #19
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Does anyone want to comment on how there was a car basically parked (with people standing around) in the middle of the highway? I'm not trying to diminish the severity of what happened, or condoning the actions of the driver of the Camaro, but come on. This was an all around recipe for disaster. Sad to hear of the lives affected, and unfortunate for the car.

I don't think it was parked. Witness reports and the briefing by the cop say that the black Malibu had just pulled out of a parking lot where the "meet" was happening. Was in a strip mall with other businesses, so they may not have even been a part of the "meet". Clearly they didn't expect someone would be coming at 100+. Probably glanced to the left as they were pulling out and saw lights way down the road, expecting those lights to be at normal speed and thinking they had time to pull out onto the road.
Amazingly some of these idiots are standing on the far side of the road, literally on the edge of a road they knew someone would be coming down at very high speed. Darwin's theory, except more often than not the Darwin award candidate aren't the ones who pay the price.

BTW, I think the 1LE is totaled.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #20
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
What makes you think that? I'm sure some bondo will do the job

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #21
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
Just another idiot ruining the car scene for everybody else. Unbelievable what goes on. People like this give us a bad name and we’re targeted because of it. If I could reform anything it would be drivers education. Way too easy to get a license.
Totally agree with this.

In some countries getting your license takes much, much longer than 2 weeks at a local driving school.

I would even say safety and evasive and defensive driving classes on a real track should be mandatory, so people learn how to react to wet and snowy roads, with front, rear, and all wheel drive vehicles.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #22
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
"these days"?!?! It has and always will be stupid.
FarmerFran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:27 PM   #23
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
The world is occupied with others, sometimes there are consequences to proximity to stupid/ bad circumstances.

Yes, this was stupid & completely avoidable, but if you ask any state DOT they will tell you all the instances of collisions are avoidable.

Oh, & screen name...
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
OK now I see it. Thanks.
Well this is a huge crowd of morons on every level. This is how we end up losing our freedom one law after another. Because someone breaks 15 laws to get themselvs killed or kills others.. new laws are passed that deprive the entire country of mostly law abiding citizens of their freedom.
Gun laws come to mind.
As for the comments about the performance of the new cars are.... My friends 1968 Camaro with LT1 heads and M/T cheater slicks ran an 11.2... in 1974. That car was barely street legal even though it was his only car. I drove it a few times in the rain and it was a handfull.
Now my wifes new 2SS vert is capable off the lot of coming almost within a second of that.
Plus to make it worse... We were doing top end runs through the Pines in hand me down family cars... Olds 88... Cutlesses.. With drum brakes all around and bias ply tires. No seat belts... windows open...
Id say a ZL1 is as capable as a Shelby Cobra and look at how revered they are.
People do crazy stuff for fun. Im really not willing to be regulated because a crowd of morons created a disaster.
But a tiered drivers license scheme could be cool. Takes some fun classes... get qualified.. and be permitted to exceed the limit buy a certain % given ideal conditions. I would do that.
Just as with the gun example. Take some classes. Maintain qualification, and earn a nationwide carry permit.
Unfortunately when the government gets involved everyone loses.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #25
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
I drove it a few times in the rain and it was a handfull.
Those old poly-glas or bias-plies could barely stick to the road on dry surfaces with the torque those cars had.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #26
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I don't think it was parked. Witness reports and the briefing by the cop say that the black Malibu had just pulled out of a parking lot where the "meet" was happening. Was in a strip mall with other businesses, so they may not have even been a part of the "meet". Clearly they didn't expect someone would be coming at 100+. Probably glanced to the left as they were pulling out and saw lights way down the road, expecting those lights to be at normal speed and thinking they had time to pull out onto the road.
Amazingly some of these idiots are standing on the far side of the road, literally on the edge of a road they knew someone would be coming down at very high speed. Darwin's theory, except more often than not the Darwin award candidate aren't the ones who pay the price.

I could see that happening. Then add in the intelligence standing around...driver probably didn't have much of a choice (rear end the car or guaranteed hit to people)

I don't think it is a 1LE though? It seem like an SS or a 2SS to me, with a few mods. The rims and hood don't make any sense for it being a 1LE.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #27
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
OK now I see it. Thanks.
Well this is a huge crowd of morons on every level. This is how we end up losing our freedom one law after another. Because someone breaks 15 laws to get themselvs killed or kills others.. new laws are passed that deprive the entire country of mostly law abiding citizens of their freedom.
Gun laws come to mind.
As for the comments about the performance of the new cars are.... My friends 1968 Camaro with LT1 heads and M/T cheater slicks ran an 11.2... in 1974. That car was barely street legal even though it was his only car. I drove it a few times in the rain and it was a handfull.
Now my wifes new 2SS vert is capable off the lot of coming almost within a second of that.
Plus to make it worse... We were doing top end runs through the Pines in hand me down family cars... Olds 88... Cutlesses.. With drum brakes all around and bias ply tires. No seat belts... windows open...
Id say a ZL1 is as capable as a Shelby Cobra and look at how revered they are.
People do crazy stuff for fun. Im really not willing to be regulated because a crowd of morons created a disaster.
But a tiered drivers license scheme could be cool. Takes some fun classes... get qualified.. and be permitted to exceed the limit buy a certain % given ideal conditions. I would do that.
Just as with the gun example. Take some classes. Maintain qualification, and earn a nationwide carry permit.
Unfortunately when the government gets involved everyone loses.
X2 laws do nothing but create revenue and strip law abiding citizens of their rights. Education is the only answer to reducing nonsense. There will always be a few bad eggs but you can’t make everyone suffer for a single persons poor decisions.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #28
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Totally agree with this.

In some countries getting your license takes much, much longer than 2 weeks at a local driving school.

I would even say safety and evasive and defensive driving classes on a real track should be mandatory, so people learn how to react to wet and snowy roads, with front, rear, and all wheel drive vehicles.
Great points!
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote