Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I believe the DWS06 has a newer plus version with the Sport Plus tech (sidewall stiffening) if I'm not mistaken. Really popular tire with fair comments on snow.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #16
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
These are a different line than mine. Mine are Contisportplus's.
Bangkok, I could be wrong but I think these are one and the same. Mine say "sport plus" on them. Actually more noticeable, than the "extreme contact sport" and any search for "sport plus" brings up the same tire, but maybe its a US vs Thai market thing. Glad to hear they are working for you either way. I haven't been to Bangkok since the mid 90's...I remember it being very hot and very humid. Gotta believe your ZL1 really stands out there!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews
Old 02-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
For a lot of people, Continential is THE best at all season tires. I really love their ExtremeContact Sport tires, but they're not all seasons.
Michelin is better than continental but continental are pretty good also... on road ... not track
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #18
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
Michelin is better than continental but continental are pretty good also... on road ... not track
Michelin is typically the best but costs substantially more too. Continental will give you 95% of the Michelin performance for 70% of the price.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #19
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I believe the DWS06 has a newer plus version with the Sport Plus tech (sidewall stiffening) if I'm not mistaken. Really popular tire with fair comments on snow.
The DWS06 was legendary for an all season tire.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:01 PM   #20
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Z OH 6, convince me why the nitto II's will be better then Toyo's r888r 325/30/20 for straightline and 350 mile drive to and from track. I'm down to 2 weeks in replacing the current Toyo r888r 315/30/20 and good golly these things are frikkin noisy!

Will they go 165mph down a 1/2 mile event without any kind of surprise? (682 whp on e45).
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:30 AM   #21
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Z OH 6, convince me why the nitto II's will be better then Toyo's r888r 325/30/20 for straightline and 350 mile drive to and from track. I'm down to 2 weeks in replacing the current Toyo r888r 315/30/20 and good golly these things are frikkin noisy!

Will they go 165mph down a 1/2 mile event without any kind of surprise? (682 whp on e45).
Because one is a drag radial, the other is a road racing tire. Road racing tires typically don't perform best until they reach optimal temps and you have to keep them in that temp range, drag radials too to some extent also but aren't nearly as picky as a road racing tire. The rubber is softer on a drag radial also. The 555R2 is just as quiet as any other street tire.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:12 AM   #22
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Bangkok, I could be wrong but I think these are one and the same. Mine say "sport plus" on them. Actually more noticeable, than the "extreme contact sport" and any search for "sport plus" brings up the same tire, but maybe its a US vs Thai market thing. Glad to hear they are working for you either way. I haven't been to Bangkok since the mid 90's...I remember it being very hot and very humid. Gotta believe your ZL1 really stands out there!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews
Actually, Bangkok has changed a lot since you saw it. It's more modern and beautiful than most cities. And the beautiful young eye candy, which is everywhere, doesn't hurt. So much money comes in here. Siam area is crazy upscale nice. Much like Orchard street in Singapore. It's all changed. Nevertheless, there still are lots of massage parlors (yes, the type with the happy endings), but even they have upgraded. Anyways, to get back to the topic. I hate my tires, but they are comfortable on my long road trips. They came on the car from Australia. Actually, I can't even buy these here. I will be swapping to PSC2 as soon as these die because those and Toyos are my only choices here, No SC3. I haven't check Pirelli, but at their price, I can't find the value. If you come back, I'll take you out for a beer
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:20 AM   #23
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Michelin is typically the best but costs substantially more too. Continental will give you 95% of the Michelin performance for 70% of the price.
Not from what I remember. I remember the PSCs (15 years ago), gripping hard everywhere all the time, and not on the best roads too (in Okinawa Japan). If they were on cement, they would really tacked me down. These Contis, wow, like the one guy said earlier, they are just way overpowered in every aspect.

But I'll tell you what, When I get the PSC2s, I really know for sure. Cause it will be one set off and one set on (with an understanding that one is old and heat cycled and the others are new). But these Contis were over powered from the beginning, literally).
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:
Not from what I remember. I remember the PSCs (15 years ago), gripping hard everywhere all the time, and not on the best roads too (in Okinawa Japan). If they were on cement, they would really tacked me down. These Contis, wow, like the one guy said earlier, they are just way overpowered in every aspect.

But I'll tell you what, When I get the PSC2s, I really know for sure. Cause it will be one set off and one set on (with an understanding that one is old and heat cycled and the others are new). But these Contis were over powered from the beginning, literally).
I have no idea what tire you were using but the ExtremeContact Sport tires are outstanding so I doubt it was those.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 AM   #25
zain

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
I don't know what everybody else is talking about..... Mine came with Continentals (I have an Aussie RHD ZL1. The SC3s are not legal there. To import they had to switch to contis). Maybe the ones you're looking at are a new different line. But mine are crap in the grip department. They can't hook to anything asphalt, only cement. On Asphalt, I lose traction in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and sometimes 5th. I wouldn't wish these on my drag rival. As for comfort they're very comfortable. But hooking up is a joke. As soon as these get close to wearing out, I'm on the Michelins PSC2s or the Toyos 888s, probably the former as I heard the Toyos transfer too much road noise.
had similar issue and turns to be bad alignment, this car has serious alignment issues and needs to be checked q.often.
zain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #26
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
I have no idea what tire you were using but the ExtremeContact Sport tires are outstanding so I doubt it was those.
I agree with you Z OH 6! They are very good tires and I don’t understand why they get such negative opinions. I had a set on my 2016 2SS and they were comparable to any other performance tire sold that preformed well and were less expensive than Michelin that had a very good treadwear rating too. I tried to get a set for my ZL1 last April but couldn’t get a complete set so I went with the F1 GY OEM tires.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #27
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I agree with you Z OH 6! They are very good tires and I don’t understand why they get such negative opinions. I had a set on my 2016 2SS and they were comparable to any other performance tire sold that preformed well and were less expensive than Michelin that had a very good treadwear rating too. I tried to get a set for my ZL1 last April but couldn’t get a complete set so I went with the F1 GY OEM tires.
I've honestly been impressed with the GY F1 SC3 tires other than they ride pretty rough. I wouldn't ever hesitate to use a set of Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires again.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 02-23-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #28
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Actually, Bangkok has changed a lot since you saw it. It's more modern and beautiful than most cities. And the beautiful young eye candy, which is everywhere, doesn't hurt. So much money comes in here. Siam area is crazy upscale nice. Much like Orchard street in Singapore. It's all changed. Nevertheless, there still are lots of massage parlors (yes, the type with the happy endings), but even they have upgraded. Anyways, to get back to the topic. I hate my tires, but they are comfortable on my long road trips. They came on the car from Australia. Actually, I can't even buy these here. I will be swapping to PSC2 as soon as these die because those and Toyos are my only choices here, No SC3. I haven't check Pirelli, but at their price, I can't find the value. If you come back, I'll take you out for a beer
Excellent!