Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #57
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman1 View Post
I'm glad my wife wasn't driving when it happened in my 2017 2SS. Took more effort to steer than she could handle. Random steering failure is unacceptable and dangerous. That, combined with the A8 shudder, is really pissing me off.
ditto. Really sucks because I really like the car, except for these 2 issues. However these issues are completely unacceptable.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #58
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
Does anyone know for SURE what exactly is being done here? Is it just a few bolts being replaced? It seems pretty straighforward and if so I would like to just order the parts and do it myself.

Would probably cost me $15 and save a day taking off work.

Im with you. Not to mention greatly minimize the risk of something happening to your car i.e. improper lift, paint scratch, etc. In my case since I have the procharger installed I don't want them to tamper with any piece of that whatsoever. That's all I need to find out after the fact they forget to torque a bolt somewhere or left something unplugged that could result in bad things happening.. Also them taking it for the required "Test Drive".
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #59
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
here is a perfect example. I brought my car in for the trans issue....made it VERY clear 100 times that I dont want the car on a regular lift (wheel balance lift only) and that I do not want the car parked in the lot and to call me when the parts were in to do the work.

Dealer called, parts were in, bring the car in.

I bring the car in, then they say "we need to order the trans filter to do the flush" (they told me before I brought the car they had everything). I again remind them, be careful with my car, alignment rack only, dont park in the lot, etc.

Without telling me, they take the car down and park it in the lot.

15 mins later, door has a massive ding in it because the ****ing moron parked it in the customer lot right next to a customers piece of shit pickup.

THEY DONT CARE! PERIOD!!!
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #60
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Does anyone know how invasive a repair job this is? I really don't want them telling me they have to pull the Procharger, Headers, etc off. I wonder if I can do this fix myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayhtrevino View Post
Apparently it is some kind of "pulley", a "bolt" and software for the power steering assembly. I do not know how invasive it may be. Chevrolet called me today and told me that all the parts and (software update) arrived for the fix today at "most dealers". I would assume the procharger would have to be removed . .
According to GM's filing with NHTSA, the remedy involves replacing the Power Steering Gear Assembly.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V086-2926.pdf
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #61
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
According to GM's filing with NHTSA, the remedy involves replacing the Power Steering Gear Assembly.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V086-2926.pdf

Thank you very much for providing this!. Looks to be about 5 bucks worth for a couple replacement bolts.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #62
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
This happened on 2 cars I've owned.

1st my 2013 Audi S4 had Audi's first EPS. Failed in the first couple hundred miles.

2nd my 2014 Chevy SS (Sedan). First they tried just grease a connector. Had it fail twice and it wasn't setting codes so they couldn't do anything finally, it failed and I immediately drove to the dealer with the message in the DIC and the car running.

In both cases the final fix was a new steering gear.

Good luck, I know it's frustrating.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #63
clayhtrevino

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 1LENightfall
Done.

They got all parts so I took it in today. I finally got it back from service. It went in at 7am and done at 3pm. My steering feels much different now?! wth? It def feels easier.
If you feel the steering difference on Track mode, well thats how my car felt on ALL modes. Now it only feels tighter and stiffer on Track mode. All other modes feel 40% easier in turning with more power assist. Wow, this was an issue all along and I thought it was just normal. I'm so glad I never lost power steering completely and wrecked out on the Sundays I pushed it a little and cruised some of the hills and curves around where I live. Looks like I was on the fringe of something breaking. I count my blessings. btw I got in a Mylink update as well, I have a few more options and apps :-) Happy camper.
clayhtrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #64
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I'm waiting 2 or 3 weeks to give them time to learn how to preform the fix. Techs will know what they are doing before I let them touch her.

I'm waiting at least 2 or 3 weeks myself whether I like it or not, they ordered the parts and said they're on national back order. Gotta love recalls
Old 06-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #65
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Mine is having the parts installed tomorrow. Apparently it's about a 3 hour job. Will report back any differences.

UPDATE: Got the car back and they replaced the entire electric power steering assembly. The new unit looks a little different than the old. I can now tell a difference in Tour vs Sport mode. Sport mode is noticeably tighter and firmer. Tour mode is lighter and has more assist. The old unit I could not tell a difference between the modes. I have a V6 manual, so the only thing sport/tour mode changes is steering feel. I like the new steering feel better than the old. I'm not certain but I think they may have updated the software on the car too.

Last edited by 6sigma; 06-29-2019 at 09:51 AM.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #66
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
UPDATE: Got the car back and they replaced the entire electric power steering assembly. The new unit looks a little different than the old. I can now tell a difference in Tour vs Sport mode. Sport mode is noticeably tighter and firmer. Tour mode is lighter and has more assist. The old unit I could not tell a difference between the modes. I have a V6 manual, so the only thing sport/tour mode changes is steering feel. I like the new steering feel better than the old. I'm not certain but I think they may have updated the software on the car too.

They did a perfect job, no complaints. Very happy to have it done and it seems like an improvement.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #67
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGen6 View Post
I logged into the My Chevy website and noticed a notification that there is an open recall for my 2017 Camaro 2LT RS as followed:

GM Recall #:
N182182760

NHTSA #
AWAITING#

Date Issued:
Feb 07, 2019

Recall Title:
Loss of Power Steering Assist

Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2016 – 2018 model year Cadillac CTS and 2017 model year Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette, and Cadillac ATS vehicles. These vehicles may experience a loss of electric power steering (“EPS”) assist while driving. Loss of EPS assist may last an entire ignition cycle, but may return once the vehicle is restarted. Customers may experience this condition during subsequent ignition cycles.

Safety Risk Description:
If power steering assist is lost, manual steering functionality is retained but would require increased steering effort, particularly at lower speeds, increasing the risk of a crash.

Repair Description:
Dealers will replace the power steering gear assembly.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

My vehicle has a recall, and the status reads: "INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE." What do I do next?

GM is working quickly to finalize the necessary repair procedures and/or obtain parts. You will be notified via written communication when the repair procedure or parts are available. You can also check back at this website or with your preferred Certified Service Dealer.
Loss of power steering assist would require a higher steering effort, especially at lower speeds, which may increase the risk of a crash.

Steering — Electric Power Assist System

SummaryGeneral Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2016-2018 Cadillac CTS, and 2017 Cadillac ATS, Chevrolet Camaro, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. The electric power steering (EPS) assist system may fail.ActionsGM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the power steering gear assembly, free of charge. The recall began June 13, 2019. GM' number for this recall is N182182760.General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2016-2018 Cadillac CTS, and 2017 Cadillac ATS, Chevrolet Camaro, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. The electric power steering (EPS) assist system may fail.
Date AnnouncedFEB 07, 2019Vehicles Affected26,772Chevrolet Recall #N182182760NHTSA Campaign #
19V086000

It only effects 26,772 Vehicles. So probably not all 17 Camaros. I bet they go by the Vin# as to which are effected. I bet its a supplier issue that has a bad batch.

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 05-22-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: w
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #68
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Ok...I just went to Safercar.gov and put in my Vin. Came back and says no recalls.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:43 AM   #69
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Ok...I just went to Safercar.gov and put in my Vin. Came back and says no recalls.
Thats so cool.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #70
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Essentially the power steering motor bolts can corrode and the motor assembly will break free. If it does that you’ll lose power steering or what GM says, “experience an increase in steering effect at low speeds”. There’s no software issue or restarting of the car that will fix that if it happens.

The fix is to replace the bolts. If the bolts are corroded to where they cannot be replaced, the next step is to replace the steering gear, inclusive of the power steering motor.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1549854857

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is a different issue than the one being discussed. you are talking about the bolt rusting and breaking, I had that fixed on my car.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, n182182760, power, recall, steering