Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
ss2fast4u
2018 Camaro 1ss M6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS M6/ LT4 SC
Exhaust drama Learn from my mistakes lol

Writing this in hopes to save someone the troubles I encountered when getting an exhaust for my 2018 SS.

So here it goes lol

I originally decided on the Flowmaster Outlaw after hearing various sound clips and also it was cheaper then the Borla Atak. After installing that in the driveway which with the pipe cutting and lack of tools on hand due to my new living arrangement was a pain to say the least. either way I was able to do it and did enjoy the new sound.

Well that lasted a day and then I realized I was looking for more sound so I decided to purchase the Flowmaster scavenger pipe. Once again more cutting with the sawzall which looking back I should of just used a hand exhaust cutter would of been easier and they are only $30 from amazon. Also grinding some of the welds on the stock components for the scavenger pipe to fit was a pain as well. After I installed I cursed myself for not ordering the scavenger pipe with the axle back units because it would of save me a headache of cutting the factory exhaust the intial time.

For a couple of weeks I enjoyed the new sound but did notice leaking at the front end of the scavenger pipe that I could never seem to stop. One day while driving around I noticed a Monroe Muffler and decided hey why don't I have then remove the secondary Cats (at the time this seemed like a great idea). Well they did remove them and install a section of pipe but only later to find out they didn't weld the pipe all the way around and used exhaust cement to fill the gaps. Needless to say it leaked and caused a check engine light.

So I thought hey why don't I just buy the Borla secondary cat delete pipes and just bolt it in myself which again cursed myself for not doing from the start. When the parts arrived I felt like this was finally the anwer to my issue. Well then I realized where they cut the driver side pipe was too close to the main car and the pipe would not fit due to the diameter. I then also realized that both pipes would not mount to the scavenger pipe because they were the same size (which is my fault for not verifying).

So not I am here with no exhaust between the main cats and the scavenger pipes .

Then next morning I call a local privately owned exhaust shop and pretty much begged them to get me in that morning. I drove about 5 miles open exhaust just to get this fixed. It turns out the angles of the borla cat delete and the scavenger pipe don't even match up. This place was great and was able to make everything fit and well everything fully and event leak tested the system and fixed a few pin hole leaks that were left. I finally have a exhaust that is functional but with spending way more money and insane amount of time and headaches to get it there.

SOOOOOOOO the point is do your homework before hand and maybe just save up more money and get the complete exhaust you want and not piece meal it together like I did.

In the end I love he sound and couldn't be happier but I could of had that result months ago if I would of done it right.

Im not upset hey I live and learn and will now enjoy it until I get bored and want headers lol.
ss2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
ss2fast4u
2018 Camaro 1ss M6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS M6/ LT4 SC
Sound clips to follow. Ive been busy at work and have not had the time
ss2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
coruiz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Thank you for the advice!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2fast4u View Post
Writing this in hopes to save someone the troubles I encountered when getting an exhaust for my 2018 SS.

So here it goes lol

I originally decided on the Flowmaster Outlaw after hearing various sound clips and also it was cheaper then the Borla Atak. After installing that in the driveway which with the pipe cutting and lack of tools on hand due to my new living arrangement was a pain to say the least. either way I was able to do it and did enjoy the new sound.

Well that lasted a day and then I realized I was looking for more sound so I decided to purchase the Flowmaster scavenger pipe. Once again more cutting with the sawzall which looking back I should of just used a hand exhaust cutter would of been easier and they are only $30 from amazon. Also grinding some of the welds on the stock components for the scavenger pipe to fit was a pain as well. After I installed I cursed myself for not ordering the scavenger pipe with the axle back units because it would of save me a headache of cutting the factory exhaust the intial time.

For a couple of weeks I enjoyed the new sound but did notice leaking at the front end of the scavenger pipe that I could never seem to stop. One day while driving around I noticed a Monroe Muffler and decided hey why don't I have then remove the secondary Cats (at the time this seemed like a great idea). Well they did remove them and install a section of pipe but only later to find out they didn't weld the pipe all the way around and used exhaust cement to fill the gaps. Needless to say it leaked and caused a check engine light.

So I thought hey why don't I just buy the Borla secondary cat delete pipes and just bolt it in myself which again cursed myself for not doing from the start. When the parts arrived I felt like this was finally the anwer to my issue. Well then I realized where they cut the driver side pipe was too close to the main car and the pipe would not fit due to the diameter. I then also realized that both pipes would not mount to the scavenger pipe because they were the same size (which is my fault for not verifying).

So not I am here with no exhaust between the main cats and the scavenger pipes .

Then next morning I call a local privately owned exhaust shop and pretty much begged them to get me in that morning. I drove about 5 miles open exhaust just to get this fixed. It turns out the angles of the borla cat delete and the scavenger pipe don't even match up. This place was great and was able to make everything fit and well everything fully and event leak tested the system and fixed a few pin hole leaks that were left. I finally have a exhaust that is functional but with spending way more money and insane amount of time and headaches to get it there.

SOOOOOOOO the point is do your homework before hand and maybe just save up more money and get the complete exhaust you want and not piece meal it together like I did.

In the end I love he sound and couldn't be happier but I could of had that result months ago if I would of done it right.

Im not upset hey I live and learn and will now enjoy it until I get bored and want headers lol.
That sounds like quite an ordeal! We constantly advise our clients to check forums such as this one for advice on future mods. Your posting of the situation and solution will definitely help a future Camaro owner from making similar mistakes, you should have some good karma coming your way!. It never hurts to contact the company prior to purchase, they should be able to answer fitment questions as well. We have a Support Team ourselves for that very reason. Happy to hear that it eventually worked out.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

Last edited by Tech@Flowmaster; 10-18-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
I am having my chassis guy tig weld all mine together & be done. I learned a long time ago that clamps eventually fail & or leak.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote