#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #57
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklync7 View Post
Ok we’ll first this isn’t a trolling attempt at all. Like I said my previous cars have all been gm six speed manuals aside from CTS-v. Is the m6 a great manual transmission? Yes absolutely! Is it the best transmission for the zl1? Absolutely not! Is the auto in the hellcat one of the best automatics of the market? Yes it is! Is the auto in the hellcat better than the manual in the zl1? Yes it is! Super long gears in a car with this kind of power is not comdusive to getting the most out of the car. Shorter gears with faster shifts = more speed.

Now if you think that the manual transmission in the zl1 is better than the ZF8 in the hellcat your the troll, of greatly misinformed.
If you know the M6 is a dog (or a lesser tranny) why did you bother even driving it? It is worthy to note that the virtual same manual transmission, with some tweaks, is in the 1LE.

As has been stated, I am surprised that you are underimpressed with the Z. The vast majority of people are impressed with it's handling and power. Perhaps you require a Huracan or GT to be impressed. There are those that do.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #58
Bill_76

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2018
My experience:

First I drove a Hellcat auto, great raw power, didnt like the transmission..driving low I pushed down and it takes seconds to get the right gear and push., then it goes really well, didnt like seats (looks like a sport SUV) and the handling, I mean it is the same type of car than my old 2014 mustang gt but with incredible more power, the engine is great!

ZL1 A10: the power delivery is different and before got 3.5k miles the car felt like was not pushing really hard, then the car started to feel really better, TM TB helped to the driving experience. The transmission is far superior compared to the hellcat, it is always looking for the right gear really fast not delay like in the hellcat (btw I am a manual guy and love my Porshce gt4 manual gearbox....but I recognize it is a great transmission). Handling really great, nobody can compare the ZL1 with hellcat about it...it is another world....
Today I dropped the car for basic bolt ons and tune and hope to get around 620/630whp...the same whp than a stock hellcat, with less weight, great handling and a good transmission, so I think it will get the complete package.

Last edited by Bill_76; 07-07-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Bill_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #59
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Let's not forget the 2 35 rear tire on the hellcat... This might give you the feeling of raw brutal experience due to the lack of traction. I think if you run a10 with traction control off you will get that similar experience. Plus the very short gearing of the a10 will be eye opening.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #60
DavidStrLondon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Looks like the A10 is the way to go,even if it is not a real DCT.
So far I was keen on the manual, but 6th gear is way too long...
Is the A10 reliable?can it handle more torque and power?
DavidStrLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #61
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Buddy of mine test drove the auto and said it scared the hell out of him, test drove the manual and he said it was more tame because he felt as though he had more control of the car.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #62
Brooklync7

Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
If you know the M6 is a dog (or a lesser tranny) why did you bother even driving it? It is worthy to note that the virtual same manual transmission, with some tweaks, is in the 1LE.

As has been stated, I am surprised that you are underimpressed with the Z. The vast majority of people are impressed with it's handling and power. Perhaps you require a Huracan or GT to be impressed. There are those that do.
I didn’t say nor do I think that the tremec is a dog. Please don’t put words in my mouth. I said that the zl1 doesn’t benifit from it. There is a HUGE difference between the two. If you read my initial post which I don’t think you did, I commended the handling and said how amazing it was. Power I think is there the way the transmission used the power however seems to be why it felt “slow”. I am impressed by many cars and don’t need a super car to make me happy. I am simply stating how I felt when driving the car and what I think the car may or may not benifit from.
Brooklync7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #63
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
[QUOTE=mblum;10242086]I haven't raced a stock A8 Hellcat yet but have raced a few different stock M6 Hellcats and with the average driver behind the M6 Hellcat I can pull on them between their shifts, with a good driver behind the M6 Hellcat we were dead even, this was at a roll racing even a few weeks ago. Raced between 30-110mph

I miss read your post. Manual to manual is a drivers race.

Last edited by hashtag; 07-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.
hashtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #64
hashtag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnashlenz View Post
Buddy of mine test drove the auto and said it scared the hell out of him, test drove the manual and he said it was more tame because he felt as though he had more control of the car.

Manual ZL1 from a roll @ above 80mph is not impressive & is one of the reasons I traded it in for a A10.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #65
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
To echo other points

1. The Zl1 forum appears to be very different than the vette forums. When a post is made with constructive criticism, it is taken as such. I don't see many fanboys here!

2. As mentioned, the A10 is superior to most transmission sout right now. Have heard multiple Porsche owners praise the A10 even over the PDK. And yes, the A10 is light years ahead of the A8 in the vette.

3. If you drive the A10, and aren't wowed by it (make sure it's not in valet mode at the dealer), then just don't get it. Life's short, drive what you life, and screw anyone else's opinion.

4. The BOSe sucks, so I spent $7k on an audio overhaul

5. Visibility in the coupe is DREADFUL, so I got the convertible..
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK

Last edited by drfeelgood; 07-08-2018 at 10:24 AM.
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #66
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Ok we’ll first this isn’t a trolling attempt at all. Like I said my previous cars have all been gm six speed manuals aside from CTS-v. Is the m6 a great manual transmission? Yes absolutely! Is it the best transmission for the zl1? Absolutely not! Is the auto in the hellcat one of the best automatics of the market? Yes it is! Is the auto in the hellcat better than the manual in the zl1? Yes it is! Super long gears in a car with this kind of power is not comdusive to getting the most out of the car. Shorter gears with faster shifts = more speed.

Now if you think that the manual transmission in the zl1 is better than the ZF8 in the hellcat your the troll, of greatly misinformed.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #67
hashtag

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
To echo other points

1. The Zl1 forum appears to be very different than the vette forums. When a post is made with constructive criticism, it is taken as such. I don't see many fanboys here!

2. As mentioned, the A10 is superior to most transmission sout right now. Have heard multiple Porsche owners praise the A10 even over the PDK. And yes, the A10 is light years ahead of the A8 in the vette.

3. If you drive the A10, and aren't wowed by it (make sure it's not in valet mode at the dealer), then just don't get it. Life's short, drive what you life, and screw anyone else's opinion.

Dealer probably filled-up with 87 octane like most dealers do. These cars do not allow for full boost till around the 50 odometer mark. 500 miles & above the ZL1 is an entirely different car. I think the 50 odometer mark safety is built into the ECU by GM.

Even @ work when I start a new ZL it does not sound like my car. Exhaust is
Not as deep.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #68
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
So I’ll start off by saying I’m a hardcore gm fanboy. At least I thought I was.

My previous cars have been a 99 c5 corvette coupe, 2006 c6 corvette coupe, 2014 corvette stingray, and a 2011 gen 2 cts-v coupe. I really loved them all. My last gm car was my 2014 stingray.

My wife and I had our first child so it was time for a 4 seater. I went with my current car a 2016 Charger Hellcat which I absolutely love. Being as my son very rarely spends any time in my car I was thinking that a zl1 Camaro would do the trick. I came ready to leave the dealership with the zl1. Title and all keys in hand.

Took it for 2 test drives drove it hard and easy and I just wasn’t impressed which is very surprising given all the incredible reviews and fanfare around this car. I was expecting a z06 kind of drive, given they have the same power plant and it honestly felt nothing like the c7 z06. It honestly felt slow, and to tame. I know that’s a crazy thing to say but that’s just how I felt when driving it. It wasn’t the mean car I was expecting. The handling on the other hand was unreal! Seriously an incredible handling car.

I am really lost as to why the car felt so underwhelming. Could it be that the 6 speed manual is just outdated at this point and I’m just used to a superior auto like the zf8 in my hellcat? I honestly never though I would consider a zl1 in an auto but gears in the m6 were so longgggg and I’m getting the feeling that the car would feel more powerful in an auto.

Visibility is my biggest gripe with the car. I’ve had a lot of cars in my life but have never driven a car with worse visibility. I’m sure I could get used to it but damn.

If this is anything like the corvette forum I’m sure I’ll get beat up here, but please don’t think I’m trolling because I’m not. I’m wondering if I test drove a bad seed, or if I should give the auto a try, or if I’m not alone in my thoughts.

Most likely most of you hate the Hellcat but I drove home in that car appreciating it more than I have in a while, alll the while thinking damn if only it handled a little more like the Zl1 lol.
You had a 8 speed auto hellcat, why didn't you try the A10 ZL1? Try driving 6 speed manual hellcat, you will be disappointed also.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #69
Brooklync7

Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
You had a 8 speed auto hellcat, why didn't you try the A10 ZL1? Try driving 6 speed manual hellcat, you will be disappointed also.
The 6 speed manual in the hellcat is terrible that’s for sure. I always felt that if I got a zl1 I would want a manual because I’ve always enjoyed them in my corvettes which is why I went to test a manual first. I will try to find an auto to test and possibly buy soon.

Again the 6 speed isn’t bad at all. It’s a phenomenal transmission with a great gear box. I just don’t think it gives you all the zl1 can give.
Brooklync7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 AM   #70
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I don't know of a single manual transmission that shifts itself except for a DSG. An experienced driver will know how to get the most from any manual tranny / engine combo regardless of gearing. To get that experience requires spending time behind the wheel. One test drive can't tell the whole story.

Correction: Just reread the OP's post and he said he took a couple test drives. My point still stands.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 07-08-2018 at 01:18 AM.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote