Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
JimmyZ

Drives: 2017 1LE
Elite Catch Can Installed

Installed Elite Catch Can this morning. here are some pics. i am a rookie catch can installer, so please if anyone sees something a miss let me know.

these pics are during installation so some of the connections are not completed. this was intended to show just the can install before putting it all back together.

JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Where does the factory PCV oil separator route to now? Don't see the line running to the intake in the pictures.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
I never installed my factory one because I think its ugly...

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
JimmyZ

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Where does the factory PCV oil separator route to now? Don't see the line running to the intake in the pictures.
it still connects to the fresh air intake. i took the photos before everything was placed back together so i could see the connection points for the catch can and make sure i was running the lines properly.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Here's how it is plumbed. Couldn't be simpler. The OE port that the semi-rigid air line plugs into is capped. More pics in my build thread below.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Here's how it is plumbed. Couldn't be simpler. The OE port that the semi-rigid air line plugs into is capped. More pics in my build thread below.
Does the aftermarket separator with the catch can completely stop oil going into the intake and eventually over the valves?

I know the factory separator allows oil to go into the intake

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 07-27-2014 at 09:56 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Indydriver

The clean side separator only protects when at WOT when vacuum reverses flow back to the intake. So, how often are you at WOT? GM supplies this part on the 1LE because presumably, its owners buy it to track it which means more WOT. The manufacturer of my part suggests that may only be 2-5% of the time. It is the catch can that distills out the majority of crankcase blowby.

I still can't understand why GM would intentionally dump blowby into the intake tract. I am thrilled that there is an inexpensive, easy DIY to correct this poor design. And if I can stop even more with a CCS, I'm there.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
The clean side separator only protects when at WOT when vacuum reverses flow back to the intake. So, how often are you at WOT? GM supplies this part on the 1LE because presumably, its owners buy it to track it which means more WOT. The manufacturer of my part suggests that may only be 2-5% of the time. It is the catch can that distills out the majority of crankcase blowby.

I still can't understand why GM would intentionally dump blowby into the intake tract. I am thrilled that there is an inexpensive, easy DIY to correct this poor design. And if I can stop even more with a CCS, I'm there.
I would say I'm WOT about 5% maybe more?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #9
Indydriver

If you don't have a catch can, I'd get one then you'll be covered.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Does the aftermarket separator with the catch can completely stop oil going into the intake and eventually over the valves?

I know the factory separator allows oil to go into the intake
No an aftermarket catch can typically will not completely stop the oil passing through into the intake in my experience. It does help quite a bit though.

The only way to completely eliminate it properly is by getting a vacuum pump. Another way is to cap off everything (bad idea). Advantages to a vacuum pump are a better idle, more consistent vacuum, and more HP! Disadvantage is the price and packaging.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ View Post
Installed Elite Catch Can this morning. here are some pics. i am a rookie catch can installer, so please if anyone sees something a miss let me know.

these pics are during installation so some of the connections are not completed. this was intended to show just the can install before putting it all back together.

Nice job Jimmy. Looks like a professional installation
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:

I installed that ugly looking, OEM clean side oil separator, since day 1 I bought the car, then added the Elite catch can on the dirty side about 1000km later.

FWIW, I have ZERO oil film of any kind inside my throttle body, I can literally lick the butterfly, lol.

I do drive this ride hard enough at WOT, so it seems to me that the oem oil separator is doing it's job well.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote