Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #43
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Well, I'm sure we will know in a few months...either way, if I spend $75K~ on a Camaro my wife will cut off my pickle.
I am in that same boat. As much as I would like to, I like the way my anatomy works in its current state.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #44
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMCamaroSS View Post
Yeah, I mean they have the 1LE slotted between the SS and the ZL1 already. One would assume a Z/28 would be above the ZL1 again.. which would mean $70k+. I'd hope this time around that this Z/28 wouldn't be AS stripped down..

Making it a "track pack" for the ZL1 would sound better to me.
I don't think Z/28 has to be above or below a ZL1. They do two different things and for me, can exist in near price segments.

The ZL1 is an all over performer that doesn't really specialize anywhere. Z/28 has the sole purpose of being a corner carver

If anything, I would say the Z/28 is more of a Big Daddy, more focused 1LE variant.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #45
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Well, I'm sure we will know in a few months...either way, if I spend $75K~ on a Camaro my wife will cut off my pickle.
LOL...yeah thats the look I got when I suggested we trade the 1LE in for the ZL1 in 2017.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #46
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
If they had made the carbon ceramic brakes optional, that would of made a huge difference in cost. That and the fact that the suspension tolerances were very high and on a limited run (comparatively). Those were two big money factors. Not to mention the LS7. But that is the heart behind the Z/28. The engine and the handling is what defined that car.
Not to mention a set of tires that makes MPSC2s seem long lived.

Quote:
I think GM has learned a lot from the 5th gen. Another thing to consider is how much the bar was raised with the Z/28 at the time. There wasn't anything like it for the money. Now we have the GT350 and the R version. The ACR Viper, New 911 R etc. BMW M2 to an extent.
True, but, I'm not "in the know" so I don't really know what they're going after with it or what they used as a baseline benchmark for performance.

Who knows.. Maybe it's something altogether new and is a COPO for the Roar Racers and won't even have a VIN. << I don't think that's likely, but, it's certainly a possibility.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #47
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I think the gen 5 had issues selling cause no one knew what it was other than a 75k Camaro. I don't think they'll have this problem with the next Z.
The Gen 5 had issues selling even after they knew what it was.

The issue is that not many really want to buy a $75,000 Camaro of any kind, it doesn't matter the performance of it.

If Chevy could build a Z/28 and slot it in at about $55,000..they'd sell well and fill a very nice price level

43,000-50,000: 2SS

55,000-60,000: Z/28

65,000-70,000: ZL1
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #48
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The issue is that not many really want to buy a $75,000 Camaro of any kind, it doesn't matter the performance of it.
Especially given that it had 0 cold temp tolerance, very questionable rain/damp control , was sorely lacking in creature comforts, had crazy low tire life on a tire that, I've read/have been told, kicks up constant debris, had almost no ground clearance, super expensive brakes, etc.

I'm sure for the small niche groups, it was a good start or a 4th or 5th car (phrase a friend likes), but for the vast majority of people the car was met with a very resounding "Where would I ever drive this?" and that so many are still sitting and people can't even be begged in to buying them shows that.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #49
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I am in that same boat. As much as I would like to, I like the way my anatomy works in its current state.
...and a SS 1LE will more then fit my needs. After a few years I will add boost to that.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #50
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The market for the Z/28 was very limited and GM saturated that market. The GT350R is production limited to 500 units per year. If GM does something similar, or makes the Z/28 built to order, they will have no problem selling them.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #51
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The market for the Z/28 was very limited and GM saturated that market. The GT350R is production limited to 500 units per year. If GM does something similar, or makes the Z/28 built to order, they will have no problem selling them.
Yeah they will, depending on the equipment. By saying "500 a year" on the GT350R it brought on insane ADM's, as did the limited production carbon fiber wheels, etc.

If GM limits the Z/28 to say...1,000 a year and includes the DSSV dampers again, the CCB's, etc..not only will the MSRP be high again, but so will ADM's. Building only to order is a sure fire way to keep prices very high as well.

The Z/28 was a spectacularly performing car that was an equally spectacular sales flop. If GM follows the same pattern as the first one, this car will sit on lots too.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #52
nivek

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Black #100
Looks like the exhaust from the ATS V. So, maybe a twin turbo V6?
nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #53
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Looks like the exhaust from the ATS V. So, maybe a twin turbo V6?
There would be a shit-storm of epic proportions if that happened. The butt hurt would be so severe that no amount of reassurances of capability would fix it.

However, GM *would* be innovating and introducing a new power plant to the segment. Alpha is already set up for the TTV6 and it would make some waves.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #54
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Only the quickest track car made in America...
SO Far........
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #55
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
A new NA engine would be awesome. Have doubts though. This might just be a stripped no-nonsense ZL1 with no creature comforts and weight loss.

Either way, GM going for the kill. I love it.
New NA engine would be awesome, but I don't see that happening. I think something ala LS1 to LS6 very possible. But a whole new engine, I find that unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
I've decided to wait till chevy's 2018's are announced to see what bears fruit.

Excited to see if the Z28 will bring out a new version of the LT N/A engine, and how much more weight they can shed from the car.

If will be curious to see the the new C7 Grand Sports will see this engine as well...That would make more fiscal sense for GM to invest in a new engine if it has more than one platform for its implementation...
Well the Grand sport gets the same LT1 so don't see that happening.

Quote:
Oh come on, that was just a good natured rib jab. I would not be surprised to see a stand alone engine for the new Z28. Especially since the GT350 did that with their Voodoo 5.2L flat plane crank V8. I do expect it to be NA though. Especially for racing series and homogenization considerations.
I doubt it. Just given GM past history, every engine gets shared except the LS9. That was the only engine not shared with other vehicles.

LSA = ZL1 and CTS-V previous gens
LS3 = Corvette, Camaro, SS
LT1 = Corvette, Camaro
LT4 = Z06, CTS-V, ZL1

Just going on past history I don't see a full unique engine if this is a Z/28. I still say if it does get something unique it will be ala LS1 to LS6. A hot LT1.

If this is the new Z/28 I just wonder where it will be slotted in the line up. From the word around here, the 1LE is going to be an insane performer on the track. The ZL1 is out for blood this gen, so would this slot in between them? last gen while down on power, the Z/28 was the king of the Camaros.

Quote:
I would love to see them put out something that competes with the ACR Viper. That thing is a weapon on the track! The ZL1 will already mop up the GT350R. I have no doubt about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma81 View Post
SO Far........
Also I hope some of you really don't think this thing will compete with the ACR around a track...the ACR was almost 3 seconds faster than the Z06/Z07 around Laguna Seca
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #56
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
In my opinion, the 5th Gen didn't sell well partly because of the price, but also because the consumer always wants a car company to make a stripped down track car, but when they go to buy one, they ask, "why doesn't this car have a Bluetooth controlled cappuccino maker?"

I think the new Z/28 (if there is one) should be a stripped down track car that is offered with an optional "put all the comfort stuff back in the car" package. Get rid of the expensive carbon ceramic brakes and multimatic dampers that drove the price up, and offer it for less than the ZL1 in it's base form. If people want to option it up, they can pay a bit extra. If they want to track it exclusively, they can just order the base.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote