Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #673
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
For everyones reference (from the DPS site):

FAQs - Items of Inspection

How many license plates am I required to display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.
*This guidance is referenced in TXDOT's requirements to properly display the registration certificate. DPS does not inspect the license plate itself, but instead inspects the license plate lamp.

• View Transportation Code
    View Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA
  • View Department Rules/Regulation Inspection criteria
    View 04.20.00 Details of Inspection & Search for 20.18 License Plate Lamp
There is a misconception that the plate on the dashboard will suffice. That is not the case. The code clearly states "FRONT". People have been getting tickets for having the plate on the dash which would be considered the "middle" of the car.

I have also read OP's that some people posted stating using the suction cup idea with no problems....the question is were they driving on the hi-way? DPS hates the dash plate idea. Cities for the most part ignore it, except Bellaire, Texas. Really "It's not against the law, until you get caught"....snort.....
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #674
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Yeah... I know the law thank you. I just refuse to drill into my car. Id rather pay $200.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #675
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
Yeah... I know the law thank you. I just refuse to drill into my car. Id rather pay $200.
Yes I know you know the law but this statement from your previous post won't buy you much. Quote:

"May get some suction cups to put it on the dash on holiday weekends though"

all I was pointing out is that the law states "Front" maybe you missed that part.....
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #676
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
Yes I know you know the law but this statement from your previous post won't buy you much. Quote:

all I was pointing out is that the law states "Front" maybe you missed that part.....
Again. I know. But usually they will leave you alone or write you a warning instead of a ticket.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #677
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Again. I know. But usually they will leave you alone or write you a warning instead of a ticket.
GOOD DEAL!!!!!!!!! but I'll betca dollars to donuts that some people are going to read the "suction cup" thing as legal.....
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #678
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
GOOD DEAL!!!!!!!!! but I'll betca dollars to donuts that some people are going to read the "suction cup" thing as legal.....
Oh I know its not but usually they will let you slide by with it.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #679
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
OK...now that we know the ins and outs of the Texas Transporation code...let's get back to the fun stuff.

Here are some pics from Houston Cars & Coffee on Saturday. There was a sweet '67 for sale...had to get some pics of that.
Attached Images

Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #680
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
:troll:

Great Coffee n Cars pics Russ... I'm guessing you really liked that 67... it was definitely sweet...
Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #681
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
:troll:

Great Coffee n Cars pics Russ... I'm guessing you really liked that 67... it was definitely sweet...
Yea...I wasn't really taking a lot of pics until I saw that one.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #682
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:

When I asked, I was told it had to be SEEN from the front (by a trooper). I've taken many 500+ mile trips across Texas without being stopped. When I stopped to pump gas in LaGrange, a Deputy even told me the suction cups were a good idea when he saw mine. Sometimes, written law and enforced law are different...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #683
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
When I asked, I was told it had to be SEEN from the front (by a trooper). I've taken many 500+ mile trips across Texas without being stopped. When I stopped to pump gas in LaGrange, a Deputy even told me the suction cups were a good idea when he saw mine. Sometimes, written law and enforced law are different...

That's a great story.......and a very good point about "written law and enforced law"........you might want to read a few threads on the subject. Getting a ticket for no front plate is not an anomaly "It HAPPENS"....and if your lucky you get a warning which means you have to fix it I believe and you pass on the fine....... But to say it's ok is dead wrong unless you get a real ticket and you have to pay $200.00. In reading about the subject on the net and DPS it's a gray area as to whether it's OK to place it on the dash......I still keep reading threads about people getting tickets...I would say hey if you have an extra 200 bucks go for it........but what kind of mod can you get for 200? I don't run a front plate myself but do weekend city driving to shows or meets only...the odds decrease considerably for me to get a ticket.....I shoudna written that...... The last time I put the front one one was temporary, going to win 1st place at the Wharton Car Show......lucky me! A local Wharton PD did run fast enough to pull up in front of me but I'm not sure if it was for that... Good luck on your trippin....
Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #684
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Awesome pictures Russ!! Good seeing you guys today!!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #685
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 1LE
great pics Russ! That '67 is one nice Camaro. I need to get out to cars n coffee I've never been next one I'm definitely going

shadow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #686
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow09 View Post
great pics Russ! That '67 is one nice Camaro. I need to get out to cars n coffee I've never been next one I'm definitely going
What I call GUND now for me and I'm in uptown. Pack a lunch for the drive....it's a long way....wish it was still in uptown. Don't think I'll be seeing a Sat C&C for a long time.....even car shows up north are fixed for the locals to win.....won't be doing any up there unless they are judged by anything other than a local car club. my2