Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-30-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
Front camera

After having a near death experience with my baby and a curb it’s only a matter of time before luck goes against me and I rip up my front splitter

Has anyone retrofitted our Camaros with a front camera??? Or found a decent aftermarket one that works???
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
msp843

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2ss 1le
I'm very interested in a front camera also. Hopefully there is a solution
msp843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #3
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
https://www.ensightauto.com/collecti...-iot-iou-radio

This is the one I currently have installed. It works good and it’s integrated into your screen.
Attached Images

CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:50 PM   #4
CalgaryZL1

It comes with the big wide bracket and a little tiny bracket that just fits the size of the camera. I have it two-sided tape to my front plastic. And then I bought some of these cable ties to feed it along up under the fender lip into the cab through the grommet hole going in by the glove box the whole unit is basically installed up underneath the glove box where the radio brain is mounted
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2023, 07:32 PM   #5
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
This looks like it will work perfectly!!! Thanks for posting calgaryzl1!
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
It comes with the big wide bracket and a little tiny bracket that just fits the size of the camera. I have it two-sided tape to my front plastic. And then I bought some of these cable ties to feed it along up under the fender lip into the cab through the grommet hole going in by the glove box the whole unit is basically installed up underneath the glove box where the radio brain is mounted
Thanks for the heads up about this! How is the front camera activated? Does it display full screen like the backup camera?
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Looks great and thanks for sharing ! How was the install? This will be perfect for me and it integrates with the stock video screen ! This will prevent me from needing to back into the garage every time I bring my girl home! As it is now, when I back in, I'm pointed in the worse direction (pulling out) to make the right turn out of my drive. That's because I have an A$$ Hole neighbor that parks right at the corner of my driveway and my side of the street (I'm a corner lot) and another neighbor that parks straight across from him. So it makes for a small window of space to square up and get through. So now I'm pulling out to the left and forward into the drive way diagonally across from me. Then I back out to the left to get pointed the way I need to go! Wha a pain!
2023_ZL1-AUTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:10 AM   #8
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Thanks for the heads up about this! How is the front camera activated? Does it display full screen like the backup camera?
It can be activated with certain steering wheel controls depending on the model car and it also comes with a micro activate switch, which is what I am using. I ran it behind my knee pad. Installation is just plug and play but it is a pain in the ass if you’re fat and old like me to get up under the dash on the passenger side. I was tempted to take the seat out for more room but managed to fenagle it. If you notice the picture, I have it pointed just down to the point where you see the very tip of the front edge of the car
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2023, 03:41 PM   #9
CalgaryZL1

What I have realized is it automatically knows when I’m about to park and activates, not sure how but for example if I’m in say grid lock stop and go or any red light traffic stop it doesn’t come on, but every time I’m about to park the cheeky bugger turns on. Quite interesting!
Old 09-01-2023, 04:25 PM   #10
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
this looks great, thanks for sharing. $530 is steep, but honestly great insurance against scraping the lip.

How good / bad are the installation instructions?
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #11
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifecta View Post
this looks great, thanks for sharing. $530 is steep, but honestly great insurance against scraping the lip.

Actually, they’re pretty straightforward “now”, the unit that I got was an older unit and after doing some back-and-forth tech-support they sent me an upgraded unit with far more simple instructions. It’s basically plug and play other than dip switch selection for certain models. I’m very pleased with it, I don’t even have to activate it when I am about to park. You could always contact the tech-support before you purchase just to get a clarity on what’s involved, everybody has different levels of abilities when it comes to mods all be it mechanical or electrical
Old 12-17-2023, 07:37 PM   #12
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifecta View Post

Should have bought it at $530, it's $719 now.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:27 PM   #13
Nataphen

Drives: None
https://www.ensightauto.com/products...-iot-iou-radio

I got this one too, it’s still $530. I’ve only driven one day with it, but I love it so far. When you shift from reverse, it changes to the front camera until you reach about 10mph. It also changes to front camera when it senses that you’re in a parking lot based on certain inputs (inputs which I haven’t quite figured out yet) and it seems pretty intuitive. Almost every time I’ve thought that I wanted it on, it’s magically read my mind and turned on. It also has a small override switch to hide out of sight to turn it on/off at any time. I had to order a 4-pin molex extension cord for that switch because I can’t run it to my side while out of sight with the current length. I just have it sitting in the glove box temporarily. The automatic mode has been so good that I honestly haven’t needed the switch yet.

There’s a notch in the front bumper that’s almost centered. It locks the camera in place without having to modify anything. I left the camera on the plate bracket that it comes with and zip tied it up above the bumper cover using two of the clips for the grille. It being slightly to one side is no big deal to me, I can still see the splitter. You can’t even see the camera unless you kneel down in front of the car.
Attached Images

Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 08:26 AM   #14
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
When I open that link on my phone it's $530 but on the PC it's $720. It must be converting it to Cdn funds on the PC. Sorry for the confusion. ��
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote