Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
TheAbyss

Drives: 2017 SS
Those dang brake vents on the SS

Hey guys, sorry for the spam of questions.. I tried searching for this.

For a first time track event, is putting those on necessary?

I don't have the tools to do it (yet) and I'm gonna be charged $100 to do it.

But my main concern is the rain.. Forecast is putting some rain down during the track day and GM suggests to not keep them on in the case of rain. So I'm stuck between having hot brakes or warped ones from the rain (?)

For those with an SS, what have you done?
TheAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes yes yes lol

btw i put mine on and left them but i live in cali and it doesnt rain much and i also dont drive my car much so oh well
Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAbyss View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the spam of questions.. I tried searching for this.

For a first time track event, is putting those on necessary?

I don't have the tools to do it (yet) and I'm gonna be charged $100 to do it.

But my main concern is the rain.. Forecast is putting some rain down during the track day and GM suggests to not keep them on in the case of rain. So I'm stuck between having hot brakes or warped ones from the rain (?)

For those with an SS, what have you done?

On my SS, I put on the brake cooling ducts and never took them off. My time to warp the rotors was on a dry track and I was just hustlin' the car like normal. From a raining and on the track perspective, I wouldn't go out. Windows down, in the rain, sounds like a wet interior and that gives me more pause than warped rotors.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My dealer would charge me $200 for removing rotor splash shield and putting on tall deflector. I ended up doing it myself and left them on all the time. I think it's really necessary to remove the splash shield behind the rotor as it completely blocks the air to cool the rotor. Someone posted a thread saying he ran into soft brake after only one session with the splash shield on. I don't remember if that was his first time on track, though
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
On my SS, I put on the brake cooling ducts and never took them off. My time to warp the rotors was on a dry track and I was just hustlin' the car like normal.
Bet you overheated a couple of pads instead.

Quote:
From a raining and on the track perspective, I wouldn't go out. Windows down, in the rain, sounds like a wet interior and that gives me more pause than warped rotors.
That depends somewhat on the car's specific aerodynamics. Some water will come in, but it probably won't be as much as you fear. Been there (and there isn't much traffic in wet sessions).

Norm
Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
My dealer would charge me $200 for removing rotor splash shield and putting on tall deflector. I ended up doing it myself and left them on all the time. I think it's really necessary to remove the splash shield behind the rotor as it completely blocks the air to cool the rotor.
Where you want the air to mostly go is into the rotor so it flows between the vanes and cools both sides of the rotor. You'd want the splash shield to have an opening about where the ones in splash shields designed to accept a cooling duct have theirs, or possibly an abbreviated shield that retains metal in places to shield things like tierod ends from brake heat.

Quote:
Someone posted a thread saying he ran into soft brake after only one session with the splash shield on. I don't remember if that was his first time on track, though
Sounds more like a fluid issue or possibly a first-timer using the brakes more like he does on the street.

Norm
Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Bet you overheated a couple of pads instead.
Since I didn't have the backing plates installed, my pads lasted fairly well. I did upgrade to Hawk rotors and Hawk pads.

Quote:
That depends somewhat on the car's specific aerodynamics. Some water will come in, but it probably won't be as much as you fear. Been there (and there isn't much traffic in wet sessions).

Norm
Since an open window draws in air, it would likely draw in rain the same way. I just wouldn't have chanced it.

I am pretty sure that if you were to run a track session during one of our afternoon rain squalls, you would have a very wet interior.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
Since I didn't have the backing plates installed, my pads lasted fairly well. I did upgrade to Hawk rotors and Hawk pads.
Which Hawk pads?

Quote:
Since an open window draws in air, it would likely draw in rain the same way. I just wouldn't have chanced it.

I am pretty sure that if you were to run a track session during one of our afternoon rain squalls, you would have a very wet interior.
You mean like this? Wipers were on high speed.

One bath towel was enough to dry everything that got wet inside (other than the driver-side footwell, which I didn't bother with), wiping down at the end of each of all four sessions.

Norm
Old 06-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I keep the duct kit on all summer, hasn't been an issue thus far. I swap them off with the change from summer to winter tires, and vice-versa.

As far as rain during the event, I've done it. While driving the rain isn't bad at all, but sitting in the pit/staging area was pretty wet...
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote