Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #15
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
It looks like that panel was resprayed red over silver. Perhaps those pieces were damaged on the lot before you bought it or maybe it happened at the body shop.
I agree it looks like the car was in a wreck and the body shop got a bumper out of a salvage yard that was silver.

That is not factory primer or issue.

I would have a talk with the dealer you bought the car from
Old 06-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #16
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
On both sides of the car, I have paint chipped off of the rear quarter panel in the area shown.
I was recently rear-ended (low speed, probably 2-3 mph) and Geico replaced the bumper. They are saying the chipped paint can't be because of the accident and suggest it is a manufacturer defect that Chevy should fix.
Has anyone experienced paint damage like this? I'm about to call my insurance company and tell them Geico is jerking my chain, but I'm holding off for the moment.
I had a 270-mile return home in my new ZL1 last June and the next morning I needed to wash all of the bugs and road residue off. I noticed that mine was doing the same thing as yours in the same area, it was worse on the right side then left. It fits too tight in that area, so I "opened" it up by placing some thin sound deadening foam between the panels from the inside of the fender well. It has helped, but I need to redo it as I noticed yesterday that it has settled and started to show again. Here's my pics from that day and I have not repaired either side. I thought I read somewhere that this was an issue on the ZL1's last year due to the way the fenders fit.
Attached Images

FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
FASTNUF

And mine is black plastic underneath, not silver as mentioned above. That seems strange to see silver..
Old 06-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
I had a 270-mile return home in my new ZL1 last June and the next morning I needed to wash all of the bugs and road residue off. I noticed that mine was doing the same thing as yours in the same area, it was worse on the right side then left. It fits too tight in that area, so I "opened" it up by placing some thin sound deadening foam between the panels from the inside of the fender well. It has helped, but I need to redo it as I noticed yesterday that it has settled and started to show again. Here's my pics from that day and I have not repaired either side. I thought I read somewhere that this was an issue on the ZL1's last year due to the way the fenders fit.
The OP picture show's the paint chipping in front of the rear wheel opening, your picture looks like the area in back of the rear wheel opening.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
lt4camaro

Quote:
And mine is black plastic underneath, not silver as mentioned above. That seems strange to see silver..
probably because the rear bumper cover natural color and made of a urethane plastic (unpainted primed ) is black and the rocker panel cover is a totally different material than bumper covers and maybe a different color under the paint.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #20
FASTNUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The OP picture show's the paint chipping in front of the rear wheel opening, your picture looks like the area in back of the rear wheel opening.
Nope, that's the rear of the running board shown on the bottom right side of the picture. Mine is also in front of the rear wheel opening just like his...reason why I responded. Somewhere on the forum, it was an issue on several ZL1's when I searched last year...
Old 06-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
lt4camaro

Quote:
Nope, that's the rear of the running board shown on the bottom right side of the picture. Mine is also in front of the rear wheel opening just like his...reason why I responded. Somewhere on the forum, it was an issue on several ZL1's when I searched last year...
OK sorry bout that, your pic was not taken back far enough. The panel that butts the front of the 1/4 panel is part of the rocker panel cover and is held primarily by push clips and it moves a little back and forth. The rear bumper cover where it butts the 1/4 panel is fastened with screws along the edges so it cannot move to much at all. All the Camaro's have the same 1/4 panel and pieces that attach to it attach with the same method regardless of model. Do not think this is a ZL1 only issue.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
FASTNUF

Quote:
probably because the rear bumper cover natural color and made of a urethane plastic (unpainted primed ) is black and the rocker panel cover is a totally different material than bumper covers and maybe a different color under the paint.
When the OP stated - "Oh - and a correction. It's not the quarter panel that is chipped. It's the small panel behind the door, under the quarter panel."..that was the same area that I was speaking about on mine being black.

And if it was the rear of the wheel opening, you would see the rear side light in the white area that flat...like in this pic
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #23
FASTNUF

Quote:
OK sorry bout that, your pic was not taken back far enough. The panel that butts the front of the 1/4 panel is part of the rocker panel cover and is held primarily by push clips and it moves a little back and forth. The rear bumper cover where it butts the 1/4 panel is fastened with screws along the edges so it cannot move to much at all. All the Camaro's have the same 1/4 panel and pieces that attach to it attach with the same method regardless of model. Do not think this is a ZL1 only issue.
NP Didn't know that they shared the same panel, cool.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #24
lt4camaro

Quote:
NP Didn't know that they shared the same panel, cool.
Most of the body panels are the same, my 2016 1LT car both edges perfect
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #25
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
UPDATE: Need help with paint damage

Quick update.
I couldn't take it to the dealer I bought it from. I live in Virginia and had to pick the car up in Atlanta.
I took it to a local dealer I've been to before.
They looked at it and agreed to fix it. They repainted the panels in question and I got the car back over the weekend. It's all fixed.
Although it looks normal based on looking at other Camaro's, my only concern is that the two panels still appear to be closer together than other panels on the car. If the panels are going to rub together then I'll be having this problem again down the road. I guess time will tell.

TLDR: Dealer fixed it. Customer is happy.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #26
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
Quick update.
I couldn't take it to the dealer I bought it from. I live in Virginia and had to pick the car up in Atlanta.
I took it to a local dealer I've been to before.
They looked at it and agreed to fix it. They repainted the panels in question and I got the car back over the weekend. It's all fixed.
Although it looks normal based on looking at other Camaro's, my only concern is that the two panels still appear to be closer together than other panels on the car. If the panels are going to rub together then I'll be having this problem again down the road. I guess time will tell.

TLDR: Dealer fixed it. Customer is happy.
My suggestion is order a 12x12 sheet of #M clear Bra film and cover both panels (you will need to loosen the bolts so you can wrap both panels just over the edges this way it will protect the paint. You will need to give the paint a few weeks to cure before applying the clear bra.