Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #15
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Laugh all you want, but there is a sound quality difference between disc and any kind of stored media. And to compare this to cassette or 8 track, even though you’re joking, is ignorant. CD is infinitely superior audio quality to either of those.

Also, there are headphone jack output to Bluetooth converters available as well. The only drawback using that is it may keep your system from automatically feeding a call through if your phone rings. Unless there’s a way to prioritize multiple Bluetooth accessories so your phone breaks through another bt accessory in use.

Anyone know?
Carnegie Hall, the Camaro is not.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #16
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Carnegie Hall, the Camaro is not.
When you upgrade the stereo, you can tell the difference in audio sources even at 70 mph with the windows and moonroof open

Those who can’t don’t get it and there’s no use arguing with you
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:07 AM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
What are "CDs"?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #18
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
So, you can tell the difference in sound quality from CD's and MP3's in the car with all that noise around you? The car is not a concert hall.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Laugh all you want, but there is a sound quality difference between disc and any kind of stored media. And to compare this to cassette or 8 track, even though you’re joking, is ignorant. CD is infinitely superior audio quality to either of those.

Anyone know?
Lol this guy. There's extremely obvious reasons (and of course quantitative evidence / articles if you're that kind of guy) why the compact disk is on the decline (if not already dead). Of course you can rip out the current infotainment system or do some kind of third-party Frankenstein set up. It's your car, do what you want. However, what's currently in there was put in there for a reason. If you ever try to sell, I don't think anyone below the age of 40 would view this 'upgrade' as an added benefit.

OP: I personally prefer Spotify. Give it a try.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #20
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
XM/Bluetooth both sound like crap in our cars, guess its the compression/decoding etc.

Using an ipod sucks too because the random is so predictable.

I find using a thumb drive the best option in our cars. I tried both 320 mp3 and Flac, cant tell the difference.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #21
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Laugh all you want, but there is a sound quality difference between disc and any kind of stored media.
No, there is not, and by saying what you said, you basically are showing that you don't understand stored media.

There is no difference. The media stored on a thumb drive may have different quality, based on what you are using, but it can have higher or poorer quality, compared to a CD. CDs are "stuck" at one quality, a compromise to fit a certain amount of music on that old format. Both are stored media.

BMW wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars for a "hard drive" in the car to store my music. One day I pop in my thumb-drive into the USB with thousands of songs and boom, it works and does all the things an internal hard-drive would do. Same thing with the Camaro. It takes up almost no space and since there are two ports, one is always free for charging or something else. CDs are on the way out and a waste of plastic.

XM/Sirius sounds like crap, I've not been able to figure that one out, why pay for such crap quality.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 06-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I have ~800 CDs that I purchased since 1985. I uploaded them all to my iTunes account and had converted to windows media player before that. I enjoy the convenience of using both formats (Bluetooth and flash drive) along with the historical value of every CD I chose throughout my life. I prefer the flash drive in the car so I can resume where I left off when I shut the car off last.

With road noice and my NPP permanently set to Track, the sound quality is acceptable.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #23
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
No, there is not, and by saying what you said, you basically are showing that you don't understand stored media.

There is no difference. The media stored on a thumb drive may have different quality, based on what you are using, but it can have higher or poorer quality, compared to a CD. CDs are "stuck" at one quality, a compromise to fit a certain amount of music on that old format. Both are stored media.

BMW wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars for a "hard drive" in the car to store my music. One day I pop in my thumb-drive into the USB with thousands of songs and boom, it works and does all the things an internal hard-drive would do. Same thing with the Camaro. It takes up almost no space and since there are two ports, one is always free for charging or something else. CDs are on the way out and a waste of plastic.

XM/Sirius sounds like crap, I've not been able to figure that one out, why pay for such crap quality.
I’ve been involved with high end audio probably longer than you’ve been alive. There is a difference between a source disc and stored media. By saying that YOU are showing you don’t understand audio.

Again, I’m not going to argue with people who have no clue. Just don’t accuse me of it because I do know exactly what I’m talking about here.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I’ve been involved with high end audio probably longer than you’ve been alive. There is a difference between a source disc and stored media. By saying that YOU are showing you don’t understand audio.

Again, I’m not going to argue with people who have no clue. Just don’t accuse me of it because I do know exactly what I’m talking about here.
In the case of audio in a Camaro SS, it’s the equivalent of washing down lobster with vodka on the rocks.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #25
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:

Please explain then. A CD you go buy, vs. something you download, at the same khz and bitrate.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 06-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOUPED View Post
Has anyone installed a CD player in their 2017 SS? I miss my tunes when I'm driving.
The simplest solution to your problem is probably to pick up a portable CD player on ebay ($15) and run it though AUX.
There is no room to install a CD player in the dash. That leaves the trunk as an option with some kind of remote display. This will probably integrate about as well as the $15 player sitting on the passenger seat I suggested above. But it will cost hundreds.

Your best bet is to start migrating to USB with the album art and all, and the ability to sort through the thing using the steering wheel and touchscreen. This is already there waiting for you.

Your specific need is poorly served by the aftermarket. Demand is waning, as reflected in the many sarcastic comments here.
Now back to installing crank windows on my SS...
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #27
Waxmerchant

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
If you enjoy CD quality sound, there is the option of ripping the music to the FLAC format. FLAC is the digital version of CDQ. There are plenty of cheap USB MP3 players that support FLAC files. I personally upload all of my music to Google Play and stream in the car via Apple Carplay app.

There is a difference in MP3 and FLAC sound quality. I enjoy MP3 when listening to Hip Hop (don't mind compressed sound). But when it comes to live instruments, it's always in FLAC.
Waxmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #28
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Rip your CD's to mp3 man You can fit them all on a drive smaller than your thumbnail
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote