Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
metrogdor22

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
"Quiet" tapping after a hard pull

On my way to work this morning, a 6th gen V6 pulled up next to me and got into it a little. As luck would have it, we both caught a red light next to each other. We both took off at a spirited pace, yada yada you know the drill.

When I parked, I could hear a faint tapping noise from my engine bay. I popped the hood and it's definitely a bit louder on the drivers side, but isn't distinctly louder than all of the other ticks and taps a cammed LS3 with thin-walled longtubes makes. I can only pick it out from the background noise by its regularity and being a hair louder than the other ticks. It's almost drowned out by the fan. It seems to disappear when I give it a little gas, but that could have something to do with no cats and straight-through mufflers.

Now, be nice, but I've never heard an engine with a knock or lifter tick in person. I was under the impression that either of those are noticeably louder than all of the other sewing machine noises LS' make. Does this sound like a problem?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
How long have you owned the car? Would give us an idea of how likely it is that you're just not used to the normal noised a LS3 makes. That said, over the internet you're gonna get everything from "it's normal" to "take the valve covers off and inspect".....you're gonna have to decide what risk you're willing to take. If it's grown louder after a high rpm run, that it very well may be a damaged rocker arm, or something else in the valve train going bad.

Ball in your court......
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
metrogdor22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
How long have you owned the car? Would give us an idea of how likely it is that you're just not used to the normal noised a LS3 makes. That said, over the internet you're gonna get everything from "it's normal" to "take the valve covers off and inspect".....you're gonna have to decide what risk you're willing to take. If it's grown louder after a high rpm run, that it very well may be a damaged rocker arm, or something else in the valve train going bad.

Ball in your court......
Thank you. I've had the car for about 6 months now. I bought it at 13k miles and now have almost 19k. If I pull the valve covers, what should I look for?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
metrogdor22

Here's a link to the sound:

https://streamable.com/68qlx

It's a little hard to hear, which may mean it's not a problem. It's between a tap and a woosh.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
when you pull the valve cover if there is a problem could either be the spring broke, the rocker trunnion can fail...less common would be a bent push rod or failing lifter..

just compare everything and a problem hopefully will be obvious...take pics....good luck!

peace

btw - make sure your header bolts are tight!
Old 05-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
So you've had the car for 6 months. Is this your first time with the car in hot weather?

My valve train always ticks a bit more on hot days after a long drive.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
metrogdor22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
So you've had the car for 6 months. Is this your first time with the car in hot weather?

My valve train always ticks a bit more on hot days after a long drive.
It has been hotter recently and I've noticed my oil temperature gauge sitting a little higher than it used to. I'll try to get around to pulling the valve covers soon and update this thread.

I haven't seen any good guides to pulling LS3 valve covers though. Is it just popping the spark plug boots off and unbolting them?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
To pull off your valve covers, take off the plastic engine cover, remove the spark plug wires from the spark plugs(or the coils) remove the coil bracket (10mm) and then loosen the 4 8mm bolts holding the valve covers on, that faintly sounds like the tapping i heard when my lifter flat spotted.
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
metrogdor22

I pulled the drivers side valve cover and everything looked and felt fine. Any tips for pulling the passenger side? There's a lot of wiring and lines running over it.

Tags
knock, lifter, ls3, tick